Tubescreamer Mini tone knob kaput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubescreamer Mini tone knob kaput

The tone knob on my TS mini stopped doing anything. Anybody have troubleshooting tips?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Tubescreamer Mini tone knob kaput

I would usually see if it’s the component vs signal not making into the component but I assume it’s SMT and all tiny inside? Might be a hard repair..

Comment

It is indeed tiny.

All was well, then it stopped doing anything. Still moves, just no tone change. The volume knob had a few dead spots close to zero, then started working fine earlier, too.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Like I said I would first check if the pot works.

Here’s the schematic and replacement part description http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=26574

Comment

Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
            Like I said I would first check if the pot works.

Here’s the schematic and replacement part description http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=26574
            If it is the actual tone pot that has failed, changing it out will fairly straight forward if you handy with a soldering iron and a little desoldering wick. The toughest thing might be finding a replacement pot of that type/style in a 20kB value. 25kB is extremely common and will work but will change the sweep slightly to what you were used to. A 20kB might be a little harder to come by (NOTE: I haven't looked at all myself). Probably take a little more digging is all. A 20kW pot is also popular for the tone control in a Tube Screamer.

Comment

How would the 25kB change it? Higher frequency sweep? I usually use the Tube Screamer to get my PRS's split positions to sound more Stratty, so I tend to have it dimed.

Comment

I think it would just change the taper of the pot.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  How would the 25kB change it? Higher frequency sweep? I usually use the Tube Screamer to get my PRS's split positions to sound more Stratty, so I tend to have it dimed.
                  Check this.

Particularly the top example (no pot) and 3.

This is assuming it's the same circuit.

Given it no longer works I would try no pot and then order a new one.

This is assuming you test your current one and it doesn't work.

Comment

I'm down with neutering it. Assuming it's not as simple as removing the pot, though.

I took a few years of electrical engineering awhile back, but those tiny little components are a little hard to translate into those diagrams. This definitely makes me want to get a full size TS-9 to start modding.

Comment

Yeah, you need to make sure the signals end on the right spots and I can see how it's much harder to trace.

Well, I always make fun of the big boxes but they are a pleasure to mod. I guess you can't have it all

Comment

I've modded a bunch of Boss pedals any my Crybaby, but surface mount is next level stuff. Think I'm gonna start by sourcing a new pot and doing a straight replacement.

Comment

That seems wise

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Depending on the tolerance of the pot in question and in general, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between a 20kB and a 25kB. The installed 20kB pot might even be closer to 25k than an actual 25k pot. Eletro Smash has a good description of how the tone control (along with the AMZ URL) works in the Tube Screamer (as well as the rest of the circuit).
                            Last edited by BlakeC27; 10-08-2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X