banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sring question about a 23.5" scale acoustic bass (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sring question about a 23.5" scale acoustic bass (Help)

Dear all,
    First of all, sorry for my english.
    I'm here to find an answer I'm not able to solve on the internet or in my books, maybe because of a poor physic/maths level.
    So, my girl uses a Taylor GS Mini bass (an acoustic short scale bass) : its scale is 23.5"
    She wants to use flatwound strings.
    Taylor's website explains there is only one model of strings for its bass, but It's a co-branding serie D'Addario+Taylor...
    Can I load the instrument with 45.65.80.100 strings gauge ? Is there a danger about it ?
    Thanks a lot for your help, and have a nice day.
    Antoine

Re: Sring question about a 23.5" scale acoustic bass (Help)

The current strings are made of silicone, right? Very low tension...

Put on steel strings and you'll rip that thing apart in seconds.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The GS Mini is designed for .037, .055, .062, .090 bass strings with a weird kind of core. If you want flatwounds, you might get away with building up your own custom set of the lighter gauges with a steel core. 45 - 100 is going to be way too heavy for it, and is likely to damage something.
      Last edited by GuitarStv; 10-05-2019, 04:07 PM.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        The current strings are made of silicone, right? Very low tension...

Put on steel strings and you'll rip that thing apart in seconds.
        I always love playing those uke looking basses at Music Go Round. I think the black rubber strings are a big part of what makes them sound bassy, too.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks for the answers !

Comment

In this case it’s not the gauge you need to worry about; you won’t find a set of flatwounds in this short length. And you can’t wind the wrapped part around the tuners or the strings will break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X