No announcement yet.

the new BOSS -same as the old BOSS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the new BOSS -same as the old BOSS ?

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    It's a modeling amp, you can run a direct line out with speaker sims. I'm not putting them down, they are great amps, I've thought about picking up a Katana Artist if I ever need an amp, but the "amp" part is a digital simulation. I think you are over-thinking the classification too much and trying to find grey (or gray) areas.
    Not over-thinking nor trying to find gray area. I tried plugging my Eleven Rack (full preamp/amp/speaker modeling) into the effect return (last in the chain) of the Katana 100 and it was not sounding good, not like my frfr pa speaker but closer to going thru the effect loop my other guitar combo amp. So the poweramp section and the speaker are playing a role in the overall Katana sound. That's why the Katana 50 is not sounding like the Katana 100 (different amp and speaker) that is not sounding like the Katana Artist (same amp but different speaker).
    The lineout (full modeling) on the Katana 100/head (or the usb out on all models) is not sounding as good as thru the poweramp/speaker. Have you tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Twang Banger View Post
      Katana 100 MKii is on its way from MFriend. I have a CD Vibrolux, Dr Z Maz and a hand-wired (by Vintage Sound Amps) Princeton Reverb ... will be interesting to compare ... will post opinions upon arrival (probably next week).
      I have to preface this by saying I have never kept a solid state amp (except for an acoustic amp) as I try them, and eventually let em go. This includes JC40, CUBEs, BLUES CUBES, Peavey LA400 etc.

I recently ordered a Katana 100w single 12 combo. For $359 (minus $76 in Musiciansfriend points i had), how could I lose?

I've had the new Katana Mkii 100w single 12" speaker version for about an hour. It's really good - especially for the price.

My interest in getting a solid state tube-sounding amp was peaked recently when I looked closely at the new Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, and while it might be superior in some ways to the new MKii Katana (precision of emulated tone, spring reverb, etc.), I can tell you I am glad I spent my money on this amp! I may never use much of the effects or crunch amp settings, the clean is incredible ... I can promise you with the eq tweaked, gain at noon, it is VERY FENDERY, and I do not think I would have squeezed an extra two drops of "Fendery" out of a Tone Master that would have made it worth the extra $600 I would have had to spend. This is a very good amp for the money.

The other amps I have, which I have as my frame of reference, are (all tube) Z-MAZ18. Vintage Sound Princeton Reverb and Custom Vibrolux -- the Katana 100 is worth the spend and could easily stand-in in a gig ... especially a country or bluesy gig. Very pleased with the dang-near-perfect-tube-tone.

FWIW, no pedals, or anything, just plugging my Strats right into the front of the amp. Sounded good with a Les Paul plugged straight in too.
      Last edited by Twang Banger; 10-14-2019, 11:47 AM.
      ___
      T.B.
      Raiford, Fla

Comment

Just wanted to follow up ... the Katana 100 Mkii is definitely worth the money. I am sure a Tone Master and other profilers are more true, but the Katana is priced so much lower ... Now I will say this, the speaker pretty much sucks. I'm not sure it can really stand up to full volume on this thing, so I took it out, put in a used Eminence Tonkerlite (neo mag) , and so the amp shed a few pounds and now it is really feather-lite ... at about 28 lbs it is the ultimate grab and go! Sounds a lot better with the tonkerlite too!
        ___
        T.B.
        Raiford, Fla

Comment

Working...
        X