Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Re: 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Awesome. The most educational post I've ever seen here by far.

He has another vid which shows the features while playing:

Comment

Well done. Very educational. Thanks for taking the time to make the video(s).
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Most interesting. I watched the whole thing.

Comments:

Only one added tube gain stage. So much less gain than say the Soldano/5150/Rectifier type circuit. I was wondering why add an extra tube for just this, but then I saw he retained the jumped channels flexibility and the stock plexi clean signal path. The Marshall Vintage Modern design in HDR mode does all the same things with a much cleaner design from an engineering perspective, and without a diode clip.

The pull switch on the master volume allows the tone stack to be either pre the diode clip or post the diode clip. Very innovative.

He explained how the diode clip cleans up well with rolling the guitar volume down or backing off the pick attack which is big plus compared to most amps with a lot of preamp distortion. The Marshall Vintage Modern does this feature well. The Jubilee does but not as well as the VM but it has the luxury of a clean channel.

I was surprised that the diode clip is set up for symmetrical clipping. The Marshall Jubilee design provides an asymmetrical clip, as does the extra preamp tubes in other designs such the Soldano/5150/Rectifier and the Marshall DSL...ect..

All in all most educational. This is not the only Jose mod design as I understand the history, but one among many.

Comment

Lake Placid Blues the Marshall Vintage Modern can active the same tone the Jose modded Marshall(listed above)can.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
            Lake Placid Blues the Marshall Vintage Modern can active the same tone the Jose modded Marshall(listed above)can.
            Huh?

Comment

I wouldn't consider a Marshall Vintage Modern & an original Jose' modded JMP to be on the same level.

Kinda like comparing a Ferrari & a Ford Pinto. Both cars but not the same.

Comment

LOL, What I was referring to was that the Vintage Modern in HDR had the extra tube gain stages in the preamp but still retained the jumped channel flexibility, and the stock signal paths in LDR, of a four holer.

I think Marshall made a mistake by using a post PI master volume in the VM. With a post PI master you mostly lose the functions of the negative feedback, until the amp is cranked up real loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                  LOL, What I was referring to was that the Vintage Modern in HDR had the extra tube gain stages in the preamp but still retained the jumped channel flexibility, and the stock signal paths in LDR, of a four holer.

I think Marshall made a mistake by using a post PI master volume in the VM. With a post PI master you mostly lose the functions of the negative feedback, until the amp is cranked up real loud.
                  There are about a dozen other differences as well.

Comment

double post

Comment

What company or person can build exact copy of the Jose amp listed above

Comment

he literally went through how to make the amp in that video so id think any good tech should be able to do it

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                          There are about a dozen other differences as well.
                          Well there are a few, but the biggest difference is the diode clip.

Comment

Well there are a few, but the biggest difference is the diode clip.
                            OMG, it uses diodes for clipping!?!?!? It sounds like crap!

j/k, echoing what the sentiment for the JCM900s and other amps with diode clipping when they came out. FWIW, I did use one of the early 900s and it sounded great.

Comment

Yeah I'm not pointing out the diode clip to denigrate the Jose amp, but that it is one reason the Jose sounds as does. And it sounds great. The diode clip design in the Jose provides a very good emulation of full power tube clipping including the dynamics at less than insane volume levels. It is a hard clip, but full power tube distortion is usually hard clip.

I found this commentary online by an engineer about emulating the properties of tube amps:

This is true for all famous vintage guitar amplifiers, such as Marshall Super Lead 100, Fender Tweed Bassman and Vox AC30. Power stages of these amps clip the signal hard and not soft - as commonly believed. The smooth tone comes from the topology (design) of the amplifier and not from the power tube distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X