1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

I didn't take it as a bad thing, just interesting that some of the same people that praise the Jose mods are some of the same people that scoffed at the diode clipping in the JCM900s. FWIW, I had a 50W SL-X and a High Gain Dual Reverb heads and really liked both of them. And yes, I realize the Jubilees had diode clipping as well, the first Marshalls to use it IIRC, but I guess they were acceptable since Slash used them.

Comment

did the slx have diode clipping? i thought it didnt for some reason

Comment

The problem with JCM900s isn't that they had diode clipping; the problem is, they sounded much worse than the JCM 800 2203/2204.

(In fairness, the same was also true of the Silver Jubilee and 2210. And is also true of most "modded Marshall"-style amps I've encountered that aren't in the SLO/5150/Recto school.)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          did the slx have diode clipping? i thought it didnt for some reason
          I believe you’re right. There were 3 900 versions. The SL-X was all tube and the other 2 used diodes

Comment

I think you are right, that was at least a decade and a half ago... Just looked up the schematic and the SL-X didn't use diodes, but it did have a TL072 opamp in the circuit. Really good sounding amps IMHO, of course, YMMV. I really liked the HGDR version with the clean channel too, which did use diodes. Tons of artists used them when they came out, John 5 still uses one.
            Last edited by devastone; 10-11-2019, 07:20 AM.

Comment

1. Cool videos thanks for sharing.
              2. The SL-X was all tube, no diodes
              3. The people that scoff as soon as they hear 'diode clipping' are indeed the same ones who drool over these mods...or use overdrive pedals.

I remember when I was looking for my first JCM800 everyone was like AVOID THE DUAL CHANNELS, DIODE CLIPPING BAD!!! Honestly, although I do prefer my 2204, my 2210 sounds just as much as an 800 as my 2204. I digress...
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Forgot to mention, yes, cool video, thanks for posting JMP. Haven't had time to sit through the whole thing but what I did skip around and it offered a lot of explanation of the mods.
                Last edited by devastone; 10-11-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  1. Cool videos thanks for sharing.
                  2. The SL-X was all tube, no diodes
                  3. The people that scoff as soon as they hear 'diode clipping' are indeed the same ones who drool over these mods...or use overdrive pedals.

I remember when I was looking for my first JCM800 everyone was like AVOID THE DUAL CHANNELS, DIODE CLIPPING BAD!!! Honestly, although I do prefer my 2204, my 2210 sounds just as much as an 800 as my 2204. I digress...
                  2210 was my main gigging amp back in "the day"... had a great distorted tone when you turned up the master volume.

People who scoff amp diode clipping are prolly the ones who play at .5 volume

Comment

the 2205 was my main amp for years and it sounded great when the master was up above 4, below that it sounded thinner and more buzzy than i liked but still not terrible. i had the 1x12 combo version 4212 or something modded by trace at voodoo and it was great but i let it go for whatever reason

Comment

Forgive my Marshall ignorance but I've never owned one. Does having the channels "jumped" mean one channel is feeding into the other in series, or that they are both on at the same time in parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        2210 was my main gigging amp back in "the day"... had a great distorted tone when you turned up the master volume.

People who scoff amp diode clipping are prolly the ones who play at .5 volume
                        Given that one of the big advantages of diode clipping is that it doesn't need as much volume as tube distortion, an amp that uses diode clipping but still needs the MV up to sound good is kind of missing the whole point.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                          Given that one of the big advantages of diode clipping is that it doesn't need as much volume as tube distortion, an amp that uses diode clipping but still needs the MV up to sound good is kind of missing the whole point.
                          Depends on the person's definition of "sound good".

Diode clipping (or dist/od box of choice clipping , etc) does not replace a pushed phase inverter tube... tonewise.
                          Last edited by LLL; 10-11-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The early 2205/2210s had a PPIMV, so you shouldn't need a lot of volume on one to push the PI.

No cathode follower, and putting the tone-stack between the two preamp gain stages, were a major fail on that series, IMO. It's certainly a completely different flavor than the 2203/2204, regardless of the diodes.
                            Last edited by Cynical; 10-11-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post

Perhaps maybe in theory [if you look at it that way] but in reality not really.

Whats even more im-practical is to have a 100 or 200 watt non-master volume amp in 2019 for gigging.

Comment

unless you are just using it as a clean pedal platform. a twin is a beautiful clean sound even on 2

Comment

Working...
                                X