Coil splitting configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil splitting configuration

I am having a custom Jackson Dinky built. The guitar will be H-H with a 5 way switch. I am putting Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis pickups on the guitar (PATB-1B & PATB-1N). I want the switch configured so that position 1 is bridge, 3 is neck + bridge, and 5 is neck. My question focuses on positions 2 & 4.

I want positions 2 and 4 to be coil tapped, but I am not familiar with tapping. What would be a common/useful coil tap configurations for the 2 and 4 positions? My initial inclination was to go with:
    • 2 - full bridge + inside neck coil
    • 4 - full neck and inside bridge coil

Does that make sense? Are there issues with that configuration?

Re: Coil splitting configuration

You'll get noise from the singles setup that way. Also, the humbucker will probably mostly overwhelm most of the single coil sound.

Usually people do one coil of the neck and one of the bridge in parallel (because that can be set up to be noiseless and sounds sort of like an inbetween strat or tele) or they just use a single coil from one humbucker (this will give a sound closest to a single coil, but will have some noise).
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

GEt a super switch and do the PRS style wiring. it'll sound better than tapped.
      Playing:
      Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
      Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
      Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
      Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        I think you mean split, as tapping is a different electrical process. Here is another method with 2 humbuckers and a 5 way switch.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          You'll get noise from the singles setup that way. Also, the humbucker will probably mostly overwhelm most of the single coil sound.

Usually people do one coil of the neck and one of the bridge in parallel (because that can be set up to be noiseless and sounds sort of like an inbetween strat or tele) or they just use a single coil from one humbucker (this will give a sound closest to a single coil, but will have some noise).
          Thanks for the response!

I was wondering about the noise. So it is effectively like + - + == +. Since there is nothing to negate the final + you get noise.

I looked at some Charvel and EBMM guitars because they show their pickup configurations. Noted that a common configuration is splitting to the outer coils and the inner coils.

Now I am learning about 5 way switches (I am used to 3 way toggles) to determine if I will need a super switch or if a standard Fender 5 way can get me there.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
            GEt a super switch and do the PRS style wiring. it'll sound better than tapped.
            Thanks for the reply! Are you the same Big Mike from TGP?

I will go check out what PRS is doing to. Good info. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Welcome to the forum!
              I think you mean split, as tapping is a different electrical process. Here is another method with 2 humbuckers and a 5 way switch.
              Hey Mincer, thanks for the response! We have interacted over on TGP before.

You are correct. It is splitting that I am looking to do.

Thanks for the link. Very helpful... and Parallel Axis too! Will study it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                Thanks for the reply! Are you the same Big Mike from TGP?

I will go check out what PRS is doing to. Good info. Thanks!
                Yeah that's me.

2 and 4 will usually do inside coils and outside coils on PRS ( or even musicman luke 3) and will give you single coil esque tones without the noise and without the drop in output.
                Playing:
                Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
                Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
                Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
                Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
                  Yeah that's me.

2 and 4 will usually do inside coils and outside coils on PRS ( or even musicman luke 3) and will give you single coil esque tones without the noise and without the drop in output.
                  Cool. That sounds like the way I want to go. I want the noise cancellation and the output difference would bother me. Appreciate your help.

Comment

With a standard 5 way you'll get hum whether we like it or not out of positions 2 and 4. There are some pretty weird wirings out there but the closest to what you'd be after would be this. If you have an import 8 inline switch I can draw out a conversion to it as I have all the old seymour duncan images for how they made their diagrams on my computer so it would only take a few minutes for me to draw it out in photoshop.

For hum cancellation, there is two routes to go. Parallel in positions 2 and 4. Or coilsplits that get close to the 2nd and 4th position on a strat. Both of which will need a super 5 way switch. It's a lot easier to go with a 3 way blade and one or two push pull pots. If not you could go nuts and make both pickups go series, out of phase or something depending on how versatile you want the guitar.

Let's start off with this. This is a diagram closest to what you wanted in the first post. If you've got an import 8 inline switch like in a jackson JS or pro series this will do the job. The blue alpha or cortek ones I remember seeing in jacksons so it shouldn't be a problem. If it's a cheap green switch you may not be able to as some cheap green 5 way blades have 7-8 contacts but only one pole across the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                      With a standard 5 way you'll get hum whether we like it or not out of positions 2 and 4. There are some pretty weird wirings out there but the closest to what you'd be after would be this. If you have an import 8 inline switch I can draw out a conversion to it as I have all the old seymour duncan images for how they made their diagrams on my computer so it would only take a few minutes for me to draw it out in photoshop.

For hum cancellation, there is two routes to go. Parallel in positions 2 and 4. Or coilsplits that get close to the 2nd and 4th position on a strat. Both of which will need a super 5 way switch. It's a lot easier to go with a 3 way blade and one or two push pull pots. If not you could go nuts and make both pickups go series, out of phase or something depending on how versatile you want the guitar.

Let's start off with this. This is a diagram closest to what you wanted in the first post. If you've got an import 8 inline switch like in a jackson JS or pro series this will do the job. The blue alpha or cortek ones I remember seeing in jacksons so it shouldn't be a problem. If it's a cheap green switch you may not be able to as some cheap green 5 way blades have 7-8 contacts but only one pole across the switch.
                      Thanks for the reply!

With a Fender style 5 way, there is no noise cancellation even if you use screw/slug and slug/screw for positions 2 and 4?

Comment

I wish there was as I just had to buy 10 super 5 way switches to get a good enough deal on them from a guy in South Korea off of ebay. With standard 5 way switches they are too limited. It would take too long to explain but the short answer is it's impossible without push pull pots or other expansions.

This is your best bet for hum cancellation mixing and matching the coils from the humbuckers. Any other super 5 way switch diagrams people want drawn out to seymour duncan color code and the 2006-ish style feel free to send me a message. I had no luck with for instance the parallel in position 2/4 one. Though there is a Dimarzio one I've been meaning to try.

Anyways this is the diagram I suggest and have tested personally. It may look a little tricky but once the preparation work is done it's 4 solders to the switch. The best approach is to put the extra wires on the very top and bottom contacts as different colors and just fuse them with the pickup colors. This will work with Duncan designed jackson pickups as well.

Comment

I was going to suggest Mincer's "do it all" wiring, but I see he beat me to it.

That is a really great way to wire a 2-bucker guitar. I recently did it on one of my builds and it sounds so good I'm planning on using it on nearly all of my future builds.

Reall, you can't go wrong with that wiring scheme. (And it's dead quiet in all positions).
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sorry for ghosting this post. Been dealing with a plumbing leak under the foundation of my house. I am now leak free and my house has three holes in the floor from trying to track the leak down.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have a much better idea of where I am going with this now thanks to everyone’s help.

Comment

Working...
                            X