Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp for home use, but which one?

Hey,

I'm looking for a amp for home use after I played with plugins on my mac. But now it's time for a real amp.

But what am I looking for?

- I want to play a lot of different styles of music. I love dreamy, beautiful cleans with modulation effects, bluesy cleans and overdrives. But I also love alternative rock, fuzzy doomy sludge sounds, death and black metal and so on. Would be cool if the amp could handle this types of sound (or pedals, I have a bunch of them).
    - Should sound good when played quiet, I have a little baby and neighbours of course and I just can play sometimes very late
    - Power attenuation and FX Loop would be great
    - Features like Aux, USB etc. would be nice but is not necessary
    - Around 500$/€, used gear is ok

Thanks for your help.

Re: New amp for home use, but which one?

Sounds like a Katana to me. I get killer tones all across the spectrum with my Marshall Origin 20 C (with pedals of course).

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like my old H&K Switchblade. Just about any shade of distortion you could ever want with lots of built in effects. Sure it's a 100 watter but that's what the volume knob is for.

Comment

Sounds like a Katana to me, and you can get it for cheaper than that, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I might be ‘the man with the hammer for whom everything looks like a nail,’ but I wound up with a Marshall TSL602 when I was looking for an amp capable of stoner/doom sounds (in particular,) with enough headroom for pedals, some versatility, a loop, etc.

It has no attenuation yet sounds good at low volumes; three channels are flexible. It has a very ‘big’ (not boomy; more broad) bass character and a smooth distortion sound that aren’t away from lots of doom bands (though a bit of tweaking and a drive pedal in either drive channel will ‘tighten’ it up for thrash.) But most of all, it was sub-$300 for sixty watts and 2x12”s, and nothing else at the price touched it for features/sound even if it’s a ‘disrespected’ Marshall. Maybe not the holy grail but they’re a steal now.

I will not say “get one.” Just don’t count them out
          Last edited by Silence Kid; 10-09-2019, 04:14 PM.
          Originally posted by King Buzzo
          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Katana was my first thought.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Katana 100
              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Just to avoid saying the Katana again, you could try the Blackstar ID100TVP.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

New amp for home use, but which one?

To practice at home I would argue a 100w is overkill. Sure, the Katana has attenuation

To add variety, I would suggest an Orange Micro Dark with your favorite cab. Effects loop, can take pedals, can do dirt, headphones if you need them. Can double as a backup for when you gig.

Comment

I'm in 'higher is better' mode for wattage lately. I used two five watt amps primarily in my house (Silverface Champ/Vox AC4C1 ,) over time with 1x12" , 2x12" and 4x12" cabinets. Both amps (even using internal speakers) are much too loud to turn up at home - amp volume hovers around 2 on either amp vs. 1 on my Marshall to be at 'listening level.' So not like you're pushing the power tubes at all either way 5 watts or 50 watts, if you're keeping the thing choked down anyway (never mind that the Katana doesn't use tubes, but I'm on the premise it would behave like a 'real amp.') But with increased wattage you gain versatility if you ever need the volume/headroom, plus other benefits; higher wattage plays much better with lots of dirt pedals, more features typically available on bigger amps, etc.
                    Last edited by Silence Kid; 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM.
                    Originally posted by King Buzzo
                    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

I will look at the Katana. I played the Origin 20 Combo from a friend and I found it quite limited. And the tubes (I think so) were rattling. The sound with pedals was good, but just when the gain was cranked and the master really low. When the amp was clean the fuzz and distortion pedals sounded a bit harsh.

What to you think about the Blackstar HT-5R MKII Combo? I liked the sounds in the videos I watched, has all the features I need and I hope it takes pedals well.

Comment

Thanks, I bought now the Blackstar HT-5R MKII and I'm quite happy. Good cleans (ok, the clean sounds of the Fender from a friend are way better) and very versatile.

Comment

I have a 50 watt Carvin Belair that is inaudible below one and earsplitting above 2

I also have a 5 watt Bugera G5 that when set to the lowest attenuation .01 watt
                          And cranked , you can have a loud conversation over the amp

Check out the Bugera G5 and the amp it clones the Blackstar HT5
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Buy my katana bro!
                            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

In my opinion, if you want or do not mind a solid state amp, your best best would likely be one of the Katana models.

But, if you're set on tubes, I highly recommend the Blackstar HT5R MkII. I do not have the combo, but I do have the head version and it is fantastic. It does take pedals well, or at least it takes mine well. The clean channel is good and has plenty of headroom, more than I thought, but it's no California-clean tone. Overdrive channel is fantastic. Reverb is digital and also pretty decent. For the price and if you want tubes, that one will be difficult to beat.

For reference, I play a Strat for the Church I attend, although the actual music style is pop-blues/soft-rock. It suits my needs pretty well. The only thing I don't like about it is that the clean channel does not have BMT EQ controls, but in this price-range, I can't complain.

It's got a good sound even at low volumes. All I do for Church for turn up the volume more and put it on the 5-Watt setting. We use in-ear monitors, so for me, quieter is better because it reduces stage volume. You can get a pretty decent sound at normal conversation volumes.

As ehdwuld said, the Bugera G5 is also a semi-clone of the HT5R and another option to consider.
                              Last edited by GreatOz; 10-21-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X