• JHS Haunting Mids

Anyone try this? Bueller?

Re: JHS Haunting Mids

Can’t try it on principle alone.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

In my opinion, the Haunting Mids is overpriced for what it is.

$149 (at the time of this post) for a single mid-sweep seems a bit overkill, but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
        In my opinion, the Haunting Mids is overpriced for what it is.

$149 (at the time of this post) for a single mid-sweep seems a bit overkill, but that is just my opinion.
        That's how I feel about many of those Echoplex pre-amp pedals that provide only a few dBs of boost and has a effect so subtle some people might stuggle to hear a difference. Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeC27 View Post
          That's how I feel about many of those Echoplex pre-amp pedals that provide only a few dBs of boost and has a effect so subtle some people might stuggle to hear a difference. Again, just my opinion.
          That's probably why Xotic make's there version a mini.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I would like to try a lot of JHS pedals but the price stops me. This is no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              That's probably why Xotic make's there version a mini.
              From my understanding, the Xotic EP Booster and pedals such as the EP-Pre by ClinchFX, the Baderplex by Badger Effects, or the Secret Preamp by Chase Tone are different beasts entirely. Kind of like the difference between 'inspired by' (EP Booster) and 'based on' (EP-Pre, Badgerplex, and Secret Preamp).
              Last edited by BlakeC27; 10-11-2019, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Kind of like the difference between 'inspired by' (EP Booster) and 'based on' (EP-Pre, Badgerplex, and Secret Preamp).
                Bingo. And here's a good example of the marketing myths one finds about certain guitar gear - actually, EP-Pre, EP Booster and the Dunlop Echoplex are all "inspired". None of these should be calling themselves "Echoplex preamps", (especially the Dunlop) because they're not.

Badgerplex and Secret Preamp are using the real circuit and the correct NOS TI58... at the correct voltage (22-24VDC)

I've had the EP Booster, and I have the Badgerplex Trilogy. Sold the EP Booster (great "clean" boost, but not an EP-3 preamp obviously).

Badgerplex Trilogy is a work of art on the inside. And it does put some "magic" on your tone (you won't get that with any other kind of pedal); as such, it's an "always on" stomp. Effect is kind of hard to describe, but it puts its own sort of EQ on your tone that really makes your guitar sound "pro" and sound great. Also adds maybe a "micro-hair" of grit/crunch to the top end when playing distorted.

And the effect is noticeable enough and desirable enough that the price is definitely worth it (expensive, but not too much).
                Last edited by LLL; 10-11-2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Beats bying a real Echoplex for that job
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

That Haunting mids does actually seem really interesting pedal. Seems exactly same in practice how I use EHX Worm in front of amp.

If it had exp. control, I would definitely buy one to compare if it can do what Worm does
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      That Haunting mids does actually seem really interesting pedal.
                      It does. I don't have any interest (at this point in time) in purchasing one; although the cost doesn't bother me, because JHS
                      are supposed to be top-notch.

Parametric EQ control over the midrange is a killer tool to have in the "arsenal". The guitar is a midrange instrument, after all.

Was wondering if anyone had personal experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Beats bying a real Echoplex for that job
                        Looking back at what I said regarding Echoplex pre-amp, pedals. I was too harsh. Sometimes less is more which is the case with this style of pedal. My comments were way too overgeneralised to someone who might be expecting a lot more bang for their buck.

Comment

i know a buddy with one but hes across the country so never got to play it. he loves it, uses it as a lead boost with a just overdriving amp to push it over the top

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            he loves it, uses it as a lead boost with a just overdriving amp to push it over the top
                            Yeah totally... that's one aspect it'd be great for. Push the mids some for solos, since people's ears generally hear midrange first before bass/treble.

The other of course is fine-sculpting your guitar's base tone in the midrange... whether you're a scooper or a midranger.

Comment

Working...
                            X