Soul Food, part deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul Food, part deux

Last year, I got an EHX Soul Food to jump into the Klone game on the cheap. Lots of reports say it's not all that Kloney. Got rid of most of my pedals, tried a processor, and have since gone back to pedals.

Just re-aquired a Soul Food, and I've decided I really love it. Great clean boost, great always-on with the gain cranked and clean up with your volume knob... switchable TB/buffer... I don't care how Kloney it is, it's a killer cheap pedal to toss in the middle of a bunch of others.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Soul Food, part deux

I like the pedal too, despite it not sounding a lot like my BYOC clone. For what it does do, it is great.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The difference with the two is the SoulFood uses silicon clipping diodes. So it’s a bit more defined sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a fan as well. At lower gain to push something else I still think it’s kloney. I did swap the diodes for germanium after a while. Worth the 5 minutes IMHO.

Comment

I’ve heard lots of people say it’s a very subtle difference.

What diodes did you use? I’d like to give it a shot.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think 1N34A. To be honest, I could only tell the difference with gain cranked. So if you just use it to push a bit or for light gain, you may not notice. Although your ears can be better than mine, obviously

Comment

Thanks. I do use it with the gain cranked a lot, so I’ll give it a shot.

Comment

The SF is wonderful.
                If you can't get a fat thick and dynamic tone out of it, it's your fault.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Not interested in modding my Soul Food, I love the pedal just the way it is, also a big fan of the East River drive....

Comment

I love my Soul POG (soul food/micro pog) and i use it as a clean boost if i need something with a bit more mids or clearity. I run my amps on the edge of breakup most of the time so the little bit of push is great. It replaced the need for a TS in front of a gained amp as well. I never really got along with the TS and the Soul Food allows me to tighten things up without having to lose a ton of lows. Great pedal
                    sigpic
                    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                    Dunlop Crybaby
                    MXR Custom Comp
                    GFS Twin Overdrive
                    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                    Blackstar HT-DISTX
                    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                      I’m a fan as well. At lower gain to push something else I still think it’s kloney. I did swap the diodes for germanium after a while. Worth the 5 minutes IMHO.

So does the tone change as the germanium warms up?
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                        I would say that the diodes make the most difference at higher gain. At lower levels it was hard to tell the difference. Germanium was just smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          Germanium diodes aren't as picky about temperature as germanium transistors are. At least not in my experience with them. Definitely a smoother sound than silicon diodes.

There's a used Soul Food at a local shop. Kinda tempted to snag it to give it a try. And I don't even like Klons....LOL
                          Last edited by ErikH; 10-18-2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            There's a used Soul Food at a local shop. Kinda tempted to snag it to give it a try. And I don't even like Klons....LOL
                            Ignore the bit about it being Klon-inspired and treat it like any other OD pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              Ignore the bit about it being Klon-inspired and treat it like any other OD pedal.
                              So, I picked up the used one at a local shop for $50. Got it home and it doesn't work. 2 fresh batteries and nothing. I verified the switch works by switching it to true bypass mode so I know it is going back and forth engaging but nothing to the LED which tells one of 2 things, either the battery clip is bad or the reverse polarity protection diode is toast. Should be a simple fix as long as it's not one of the SMT components in it. Used as-is.

Comment

Working...
                              X