X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soul Food, part deux

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Nice, glad you're digging it.
    You could say that. Last night we had rehearsal and I ran it left on pretty much the whole time. I got my clean tones by rolling off the guitar volume. Talk about touch sensitive. Gain was set to about 1 o'clock, level about 10-11 o'clock and the tone anywhere from 10 - 1, usually around noon. My amp gain is off; it's the plexi/jmp-ish model in the Vox AD30. There's still some breakup but it's very clean and clear. The Soul Food at those settings put it right at the sweet spot without overly changing the tone of the amp. I've heard people describe it as an extension of the amp tone and it does it well. Very nice pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
      The SF is wonderful.
      If you can't get a fat thick and dynamic tone out of it, it's your fault.
      Pretty much....
      -Butch

Comment

I eat Soul Food, I like it. I've never had a Klon, or even a Klone, but I like what this pedal does for me.
        "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          I would say that the diodes make the most difference at higher gain. At lower levels it was hard to tell the difference. Germanium was just smoother.
          That’s because with the gain down your signal is not gong through the clipping diodes. The Klon’s gain control mixes between a clean boost and an overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            That’s because with the gain down your signal is not gong through the clipping diodes. The Klon’s gain control mixes between a clean boost and an overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Another thing about transparent Klone boosts -I think you have to be careful about how you use Klones style pedals in a full band.

Example (and I have many) . I don't use my Jrockett Archer Klone on songs with an acoustic guitar -unless it's a distinct lead part -because a transparent boost will really articulate the attack on your picking which will sit all over a mix with an Acoustic or Hollow body electrics with a top end (Like a Gretsch)

Also don't generally use it for rhythm arpeggio type parts -due to how much it punches out the notes in the mix.

Soul Food is easily the best approximation of Klon for the price -its a super value and a great OD on it's own and sort of it's own thing because of the differences as you point out. I think the J Rockett stuff is my favorite overall (and I've tried them all), and the Tumnus is suprisingly great too for being relatively inexpensive.

I've seen bands where both guitarists are driving klone pedals hard and it doesn't work well because of the "pop" and "snap" of the mids and top end fighting (they are double humpin' ) -it's sort of like back in the day when two guitarists on stage squashed their signals with BBE Sonic Maximizers and both guitarists suddenly had swirling harmonic content fighting each other -dude somebody sit back!
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
            X