A year ago today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A year ago today...

KoT already has internal DIP switches for setting clean/OD and dist on/off. the clean/OD setting apparently influences distortion clarity, too. Pair of those for each side. I endlessly fiddle with the different modes in the Helix model of it. Apparently they'll only put those external on the red side, for a $50 upcharge. http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm#options

Higher Gain option is $10 upcharge per side, according to their website. Way I've been using the Helix version is with 2nd channel higher gain, in OD. So that's probably what I'd do ordering the real thing.

I love a lot of Gilmour-style gain stacking. I could see a lot of value in being able to go boost->muff->OD or reverse order. But then there's things like treble boost or fuzz face that are best as first in chain anyways... I don't know whether I'd go with the extra complexity of an effects loop in my dual drive pedal. But then, they modelled it split in half as well, so the option is there. I guess it depends on what sort of gain stacking appeals to you, or if you have effects that need gain recovery, and want a minimal footprint pedalboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
      I love a lot of Gilmour-style gain stacking. I could see a lot of value in being able to go boost->muff->OD or reverse order. But then there's things like treble boost or fuzz face that are best as first in chain anyways... I don't know whether I'd go with the extra complexity of an effects loop in my dual drive pedal. But then, they modelled it split in half as well, so the option is there. I guess it depends on what sort of gain stacking appeals to you, or if you have effects that need gain recovery, and want a minimal footprint pedalboard.
      Adding another option for gain stacking is extremely appealing to me, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend $325 on a pedal. I suppose if I'm already spending $275...
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

the internal switches make big differences in how the channel sounds and reacts. i loved the "clean" setting but there was so much volume boost to get the gain i wanted it wasnt really practical with my setup. the od and distortion settings are great too. my buddy that has my old kot uses the od setting on both channels. other friend uses distortion on one and od on the other. lots of options and they all sound good

Comment

I got a response back and he essentially said "We could offer options like that, but it would make the waiting list a lot longer than it is now."

So I guess my only options to make the two sides different is to get high gain on the red side and adjust the presence trim pots differently.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Does anyone know what the deal with the custom colors is? I hear a few people saying that you can only order them when he says you can, but that's only a handful of people on dated posts.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

as far as i know the custom colors are super limited runs and can only be purchased when he offers em

Comment

Working...
              X