Another Jazzmaster Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Jazzmaster Project

Was going to just wait till finished, but may as well post this: Won't be a masterpiece necessarily, but wound up in another scenario where I have a bunch of spare parts that can be made into another guitar by purchasing just one linking piece:

List of parts I already have now & plan to use:
    • Mighty Mite Rosewood Strat neck/CBS Headstock (with tuners)
    • MIJ Jazzmaster bridge/Vibrato (both required repair; new Allparts saddles on the bridge, filed the pivot point on the vibrato and tested on another guitar to make sure it all keeps tune)
    • Wiring (Including spare Jazzmaster rhythm circuit and 1 megs)
    • Allparts white Pickguard
    • Rose Picasso bridge pickup (WRHB clone under Jazzmaster cover)
    • Duncan SJAG-1 neck pickup (will use under Jazzmaster cover)

Things I have on order:
    • Butchered Squier Mascis body (has lots of dents/bruises including poor over-spray)
    • Anodized pickguard (yeah I already have a pickguard, but...)
    • Duplicolor Nissan 'Orange Mist' metallic & clear

Upcoming Actions:
    • Figure out how forcibly the Nashville-style Tune-O-Matic posts were ejected, and whether a dowel & drill will be required to convert to a rocking bridge
    • Strip/fill/refin. the body as necessary (I'm thinking if it's nitro, I will not want to coat Duplicolor/Acrylic over that; sort of hoping it isn't stripped to wood underneath
    • Re-match the headstock (it's already the right color, but I used the wrong primer under it so it looks 100 years old; I don't like relics

The important bits:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9922.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	5852952Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	5852953

Last edited by Silence Kid; 10-14-2019, 10:03 AM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Another Jazzmaster Project

This does look like a fun project! Post more in-process pics as stuff comes in.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks like a great start!
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Have the body - first order of business was figuring out the existing finish. It was previously stripped bare; there are some places the body-edge radius was not treated with much respect, but it’s mostly fine and will look better with a bit of effort.

The finish melts pretty easily with acetone, and seems dried pretty hard - it also smells terrible, not like I expected of nitro or even acrylic; more like an old school library smell. Contemplated sanding it to retain the surface as primer but probably just going to remove it all and start from scratch. The Tune-O-Matic bushings have something not far from the correct center for the rocking bridge but def. need doweling/re-drilling.
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

New thought

A couple years ago when I didn't give a ****/wasn't paying attention, Staytrem released conversion bushings to do exactly what I am trying to do (and then quit making them.)The bridge post spacing is identical to the rocking bridge - both 2" 7/8 / ~74 mm.

The holes for the bridge mount on my body are actually intact. So... I purchased some stock Adjust-O-Matic mounting bushings; taking measurements there will be enough metal for me to drill these, and fit the standard Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge cups within them. I could even cut the bushings somewhat short - all that's needed is for them to sit flush on the body, and for the cups to mount to the bushings flush in turn:

(Remember - I'm the one who once filed tuners/tuner bushings till they fit my Mustang without removing any wood.)

...Anyway, might as well throw in a worthless pic of the body as it sits; I also have paint on-hand, so it won't look this way for long:

Comment

Drilled a ferrule - it was slow going, since the hole I drilled wound up slightly small (intended) and I used a dremel to grind out the remainder (took longer than anticipated, but worked - need more sandpaper cylinders now to do bushing number two now.)

Perfect fit! Ignore how destroyed the thing looks from my vicegrips, and the leftover metal flash from the factory:

Actually ignore the crap finish I need to strip off this thing too:

Hidden Need to do the next after a trip to the hardware store...

Comment

Great choice on the pickguard!
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
              1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
              Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
              Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks - cheap Chinese, fits better than the allparts. Still wondering whether the gold actually belongs on my Sonic Blue Jazzmaster or if it will hang well on the metallic orange, but it will match the tuners.

Comment

I didn't want to update yet, but looks like we're headed into the rainiest, coldest Thanksgiving on record in SoCal, so need to put my painting on hold - looks like about sixty and wet for the next week or so, very pissed :-/

I want/need one more clearcoat on the body before I sand/polish, but here's how the Sunmaster sits at the moment; in the meantime I have every part needed to put it together, so I may wire it:

Very difficult color to capture, two attempts made below (in comparison to the donor body for this project in the same shade)

Comment

I really like the pickguard.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That is one amazing color.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! I just ordered two more gold pickguards from the same seller, in case I want to slap them on my other Jazzmasters or at least have a spare (anodized pickguards seem to wear quickly; I don't like wear.) They appear the same oem as the Mascis models in every way; incidentally another good thing about the Mascis is US pickguards fit perfectly, whereas a US pickguard on my Vintage Modified Jazzmaster won't without filing. Stock Mascis guards even use the US rhythm bracket spacing, which the VM doesn't.

Another minor minus to the anodized pickguard; they feel like aluminum siding on your fingers. But it is an awesome look; I may give my VM a makeover to look like this:

The color looks a lot better on a non-flat surface; looking forward to how the contours and curvy body emphasize. I sort of wanted a lighter/brighter orange tone, till I remembered how much of the muddiness of my original body was age-related:

Comment

FYI the aluminum guard will shave off some of your highs, so keep that in mind if you don't like the sound.
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Yeah, shaving off highs is not exactly a bad thing with a Jazzmaster though.

The orange is nice and all . . . but . . .

:P

How hard was it to do the headstock? Did you just tape off the edges and giv'er?
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                              FYI the aluminum guard will shave off some of your highs, so keep that in mind if you don't like the sound.
                              I made my first rookie mistake with the pickguard; assumed it would conduct electricity & obliviate a lot of ground wires. Turns out the pickguard doesn't have continuity - I assume the anodizing does this, because aluminum foil sure does have continuity. Had it wired nice and organized, now need to turn that on its head to make it work- grr. If I dislike it I'll swap to an Allparts I have- Totally don't mind if highs are shaved off.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              How hard was it to do the headstock? Did you just tape off the edges and giv'er?
                              Yep - Primer/metallic/cleared it, same as the body. Since taking that pic I took a deep breath and scraped off some of the visible overspray on the headstock; luckily none of the front layer came off with it which is why I was hesitating. In the original 'before' pic. I used no primer and did much more a quickie job, so the result was much less impressive (let alone after over a decade as shown.)

Headstock's pretty glassy on the surface of the clear but in retrospect I wish I grain-filled/gave at least another coat of primer to the headstock, since at certain angles some grain is visible. I didn't think I'd need to do it on a maple headstock, but it's pretty much presentable and good enough. I planned on using an NSFW sort of sticker on the headstock anyway, but now I'm wondering about printing out a Squier logo that says 'Sunmaster' (I also have a Fender Jazzmaster decal if I feel like a liar, but 99% sure I will not use that.)

Also - Turns out no rain today, so I think I have what will be the last of the clear on the body.

Comment

Working...
                              X