Another Jazzmaster Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Jazzmaster Project

Now that I'm waiting for the body to dry, there's a can I've kicked without taking action and that's the neck. The pocket is severely under-sized for the Mighty Mite; I need to take a millimeter or maybe somewhat more off the pocket to get it to work.

I kept telling myself I'd take the easy way and enlarge the pocket, but obviously we're past where that should have occurred and I have no desire to mutilate the body for a sort of mediocre, non-spec Mighty Mite neck I'm ambivalent about - Last guitar I enlarged the pocket on to fit a neck I promptly switched to a different neck a year later and wound up with a millimeter gap If I ever want a real Mascis neck later (I might - they're nice) I'll screw myself over for short-term gain.

So - I'm pretty much going to say '**** this neck' that I'm only using because I own it, and either take a power sander/sanding block to the sides, starting at the point where it joins the body - 0.5 mm from each side should do it. I'll also need to re-file the fret ends after that business, and probably a coat of wipe-on poly to disguise however awful it looks somewhat. If I need encouragement to do that, my other makeshift-y fix on this guitar, the faux-Staytrem rocking conversion bushings, work *perfect.* The bridge seats dead-on, and no looseness (well - except the bridge itself rocking.) Guess I can make room for more crazy in this project.
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-27-2019, 06:49 PM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

You don't actually need to sand the whole neck. Just the part that fits in the pocket. Make a small overhang with your sanding so you can leave all the fretwork alone.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        You don't actually need to sand the whole neck. Just the part that fits in the pocket. Make a small overhang with your sanding so you can leave all the fretwork alone.
        Yeah - I wondered if that wouldn't look a bit too silly, but I'm thinking about it for the ease of things. The neck (like just about everything else on the guitar) had some initial issues I sorted out anyway; a crack/split in the heel I clamped/glued (pretty invisibly,) and spacers to fix a maxed out truss rod so it's not a masterpiece anyway.
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I would advise taking a smidge from both the neck and the body. Wrap some 220 around a paint stick or small file so you have a good flat surface. Use careful, purposeful stroke and count them. Repeat the same number on the other side. Check your fit often until it is snug.

Should you swap necks or whatever later, any minor gap can be filled with finish or ignored.
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I took some actual measurements - the base of the neck was somewhat ‘swollen’ compared to the upper portion; ten minutes of filing and it fits fine now without even looking visibly altered. Never mind.

Comment

Well - I had a dull, depressing Thanksgiving and a bunch of parts lying around tempting me. The instructions for Duplicolor are to wait 24 - 48 hours to wet sand; I know most people would do longer, but if it starts to dull up in six months or so I'll just remove the pickguard/vibrato and re-polish. This is allegedly a beater anyway.

It plays/sounds good! maybe a bit snappier than my VM:

With flash:

Comment

I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is really a great color!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X