Tech21 Sansamp Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech21 Sansamp Classic

I just did some minor maintenance on my buddy's old Sansamp, supposedly a very early version of it.
    I've heard people gush a bit about them but I don't undderstand what makes it special. Isn't it just an OD with a couple of EQ/tone switches?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Tech21 Sansamp Classic

It is because through a PA or into a recording device, it acts pretty much like a miked amp. I use that technology in a few Tech 21 amps I have, and soundpeople love the direct sound off of those things.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got my Sansamp BassDriver in 2003 and haven't looked back since: never leave home without it. When recording I run two lines out of it, one dry and one treated and blend the two.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Never got along with them on guitar but absolutley love them for bass, sending the effected DI out of that to FOH has been a gamechanger.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
          Never got along with them on guitar but absolutley love them for bass, sending the effected DI out of that to FOH has been a gamechanger.
          I have a VT Deluxe for bass that is amazing

Comment

They were among the pioneers of today's silent stage direction from back in the '80s, packing PA-ready guitar and bass tones into single pedals. All the present heroes like AxeFX, Kemper, Line6 and the like (usually digital processing) walk in the footsteps of Tech21 (analogue processing). In a way they started a revolution. Early models were perhaps not as refined as they became later but they still were functional/practical and did their job splendidly. Their technology improved so much during the years. It is not my way to go but I have an enormous respect for the company and their technology.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Well I opened the thing up, expecting some very fancy digital circuitry, but to my surprise it was basically an oversized selector switch and a dip switch sandwiched between two thin slices of plastic.

With that said, I'm surprised how good it actually sounded into my crappy 6 inch solid state practice amp (aka the let's-plug-this-circuit-in-and-see-if-it-blows-up-or-not-atron)
              Last edited by Coma; 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM.
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                Well I opened the thing up, expecting some very fancy digital circuitry, but to my surprise it was basically an oversized selector switch and a dip switch sandwiched between two thin slices of plastic.

With that said, I'm surprised how good it actually sounded into my crappy 6 inch solid state practice amp (aka the let's-plug-this-circuit-in-and-see-if-it-blows-up-or-not-atron)
                Sansamps have always been analog, that's their thing. The only place they use digital is for delays/reverbs.

Comment

I don't know which one you have -but the Tech21 Sansamp line was the first affordable stage DI that I thought could add in the EQ/Presence of post amp and speaker tones into a PA.

thus "Sansamp" . or without Amp.

and I think they accomplished that.

Are you just trying to evaluate it as a pre- preamp pedal through a guitar amp? it's probably just a cool drive and EQ like you said then.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I use it all the time, but I find it particularly useful if I'm using someone else's amp. I set the unknown amp flat and via the Sansamp can get my sound.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1
                    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

It is a loved classic for a reason. Who cares how it is made. Sounds great direct, which is why it exists.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And if you think that one sounds great, check out their newest stuff, like the Fly Rigs. A Fly Rig 5 v2 is on my radar. It has everything I would need in a crazy portable and great sounding rig.

Comment

I can never find a Fly with exactly what I want. Thus, Mooer board.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            And if you think that one sounds great, check out their newest stuff, like the Fly Rigs. A Fly Rig 5 v2 is on my radar. It has everything I would need in a crazy portable and great sounding rig.
                            I used a Fly Rig v2 for the last show I did. It sounded wonderful direct to the PA, no amp. Works wonderfully for what I do.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              I can never find a Fly with exactly what I want. Thus, Mooer board.
                              Check out the new ones, the standard has a fx loop.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I used a Fly Rig v2 for the last show I did. It sounded wonderful direct to the PA, no amp. Works wonderfully for what I do.
                              I live on the fence, should probably just buy one. I hate programming, the knobs are so enticing...

Comment

Working...
                              X