3 band eq on pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 band eq on pedals

For those of you that have dirt pedals that have a 3 band ie, low, mid, high, do you set the pedal's eq similar to what your amp eq is set or do you set it differently?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: 3 band eq on pedals

The amp EQ and pedal EQ don't really have anything to do with each other. I'd recommend you set your amp EQ first so that it sounds nice with the pedal off. Without a great base tone to work with, it's going to be a PITA to get a nice sound out of any pedal.

After that's working, then you tweak the pedal so that it does what you want. (Eg - lead boost often ups the mids).
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 10-15-2019, 02:11 PM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thats how I have it and figured, amp is set to my liking. Got thinking the other nite when I was playing if the pedal and amp settings would be fighting each other or not. But since they are independent of each other, then moving on. Thank you GS
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I dig the active controls on the Duncan pedals, which seem to have a lot more impact than passive ones. I set my 805 different for each type of guitar. Less bass, less mids, treble about noon.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ignore the markers on the knobs and just turn them until it sounds right to your ear.

Comment

The EQ on my pedals that have them, in my case only overdrives, are completely different from my amp.

I use the amp get a tone I like without any pedals and then use the pedals for more dirt and EQ shifts, depending on what I need.

The two overdrives have different purposes.
            The amp is my slightly overdriven sound, the 805 my solo boost, and the Tumnus Deluxe the medium gain drive that I use for rhythm.

Comment

It depends on the pedal. Some are condiments while others emulate amps and don't layer well with your amps distortion. Like a Marshall Guvnor is a Marshall in pedal form and I had to use the clean channel on my amp and EQ the amp flat while using the pedal's controls to shape the sound. Otherwise something like a tube screamer is more of a condiment and will blend with your amps distortion and only requires a small amount of tweaking on the amp.

Comment

Working...
              X