Electro Harmonix or Tung Sol EL84's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electro Harmonix or Tung Sol EL84's?

I've tried the cheapie Sovtek EL84/6BQ5's, and I liked them more way more than JJ EL84's. I also liked TAD EL84-STR's, but I didn't like them better than the Sovteks, and they're a bit more expensive.

I wonder how the Tung Sol and the Electro Harmonix compare to the aforementioned. Like I said, I dig the cheapie Sovteks, but wouldn't mind a bit more open-ness... kinda like the TAD's but cheaper (and maybe slightly fatter), lol.

EHX's are the cheaper of the two, and their 12AX7's are exactly what I'd want my EL84's to be like: scooped lower mids with an extended bottom-end, and agressive, sizzly highs and high mids. Tung Sol 12AX7's are sort of like a clearer, slightly more balanced version of that. I wonder if their EL84's follow that same footprint compared to others.

What are your experiences? Which should I try? EHX or Tung Sol? Or should I just stick with Sovtek?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM.

Re: Electro Harmonix or Tung Sol EL84's?

They're both Russian so i don't think it matters much.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      They're both Russian so i don't think it matters much.
      Well, Electro Harmonix and Tung Sol 6L6's are both Russian, and they're pretty different-sounding. Pretty opposite sides of the 6L6 spectrum, IMO.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-16-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Well, Electro Harmonix and Tung Sol 6L6's are both Russian, and they're pretty different-sounding. Pretty opposite sides of the 6L6 spectrum, IMO.
        The question was about EL-84's not 6L6's.

Comment

Well, what I mean is, as far as 6L6's and 12AX7's, the fact that they're Russian doesn't make the different branding "not matter much", at least IME. I don't see how that would'nt apply to EL84's too. The coating on the plates and getters seem pretty distinct in the pictures, so they're definitely not the same tube rebranded. Or has that been your experience? How would you describe they compare to, say, JJ's?
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-16-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Well, what I mean is, as far as 6L6's and 12AX7's, the fact that they're Russian doesn't make the different branding "not matter much", at least IME. I don't see how that would apply to EL84's either. The coating on the plates and getters seem pretty distinct in the pictures, so they're definitely not the same tube rebranded. Or has that been your experience? How would you describe they compare to, say, JJ's?

New Sensor stuff is pretty much the same and i stand by my original post.

If youre' talking about NOS/NIB Amperex made in Holland EL-84's there would be quite a contrast to the CP Russian stuff.

Not sure why were going down the rabbitt hole on this.

Comment

Well, not in the market for NOS tubes right now. This is a contemporary amp, my budget is limited, and current production tubes have sounded different enough between each model (even among New Sensor tubes) and been reliable and good-sounding IME.

I do think NOS have their place, especially in vintage amps... but for an EVH LBX? CP Russian tubes will probably do just fine.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-16-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Then why ask for opinions if your mind is already made up & you discount what i say.
                Ive seen pairs of Amperex EL-84's for as little as $40 bucks.
                Not like people are lining up to buy them.

Going back to my life now. Bye.

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Have you tried the EHX and Tung Sol EL84's? Which New Sensors have you tried that had made you think they are all pretty much the same? Have they been EL84's?

I don't mean to discount your opinion, man, but you seem to be looking down on the fact that I asked about Russian tubes. I want to know which Russian tubes you've tried that had made you think they sound the same... because, I mean, a Sovtek 12AX7WC is VERY different-sounding from an Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH the same way an Electro Harmonix 6L6EH is very different-sounding from a Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR. You told me 6L6's is a different thing, so have you tried the EL84's I asked about? Please tell me your opinion on them. That's an opinion I'd like to listen to, please.

What are those Amperex like compared to other CP? I mean in terms of EQ and compression. I have experience with Sovtek, JJ, and TAD (Shuguang). I assume they'd be more heavy duty because of the construction, right?
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-16-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    Then why ask for opinions if your mind is already made up & you discount what i say.
                    Ive seen pairs of Amperex EL-84's for as little as $40 bucks.
                    Not like people are lining up to buy them.

Going back to my life now. Bye.
                    Had a bad day perhaps?

Anyway, you're just blatantly wrong:

If you A/B russian they're obviously different. Heck, like Rex Rocker mentioned, if you look at them you can see differences.

Sorry Rex: Can't help with EHX or Tung Sol, as I haven't tried neither. And how you describe your preference to be, it's exactly the opposite of mine. I use almost solely JJ's..
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      Had a bad day perhaps?

Anyway, you're just blatantly wrong:

If you A/B russian they're obviously different. Heck, like Rex Rocker mentioned, if you look at them you can see differences.

Sorry Rex: Can't help with EHX or Tung Sol, as I haven't tried neither. And how you describe your preference to be, it's exactly the opposite of mine. I use almost solely JJ's..
                      Nope everything good here. Regret wasting time on this topic tho. Better spent elsewhere.

Tone is subjective.
                      Whats "blatant" to you could be ridiculous to me.

Comment

Back to the topic, please...
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Back to the topic, please...
                          Russians make a different el84, mil-spec, affordable and there's a lot of them. They're all over eBay. SP-111 or something.
                          Newspaper article fame, is a most Ironic form of game.
                          www.exodusattack.com/forum/index.php

Comment

Have been running EL 84 in a couple amps and running them HARD for a few years now. The TAD 's are the best by far in current production tubes in life I have found and sound more like a 6V6 than a normal EL84.
                            IMO the best sounding of the current EL 84's in my amps by far are the Mullards they just don't last as long as the TAD's do. In particular they sound great in my Boogie Subway and also in the Jet City JCA 22 H heads I have had. In particular when you push them these REALLY sing when they get into break up!!
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Well, what I mean is, as far as 6L6's and 12AX7's, the fact that they're Russian doesn't make the different branding "not matter much", at least IME. I don't see how that would'nt apply to EL84's too. The coating on the plates and getters seem pretty distinct in the pictures, so they're definitely not the same tube rebranded. Or has that been your experience? How would you describe they compare to, say, JJ's?
                              Have seen real differences in tone between some of these Soviet EL 84's. The JJ's in particular I find to be dull and lifeless and have seen some reliability issues with then so wont use the EL 84's in particular even though I like some of their other power tubes.
                              My 2 favorites are the STR TAD's or the Mullards. Like the sound of the Mullards a lot but the TAD's are a more rugged stable and seem to last a lot longer.
                              When I say I push my EL 84 amps I mean I really push them at times like here running my 25 watt Zinkly Blue velvet combo unmiced with a cab for this conference and running it hard for some times 3 to 4 hours non stop. In this amp I'm running the TAD's for reliability in my Subway which I normally use with more effects and a lower volumes so don't push as hard I run the Mullards for the tone.
                              Last edited by Ascension; 10-17-2019, 08:38 AM.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X