Baldacci custom build...just getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baldacci custom build...just getting started

that's clearly handmade. I love it. Don't know if it's visible that it's handmade for y'all, but there are clear signs that prove it. Sweet axe.

Comment

ITS SHIPPING TODAY!!!
      I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

i would be excited as hell!

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        that's clearly handmade. I love it. Don't know if it's visible that it's handmade for y'all, but there are clear signs that prove it. Sweet axe.
        curious what makes you say that?

Comment

Conner sent me these just before he packed it up for Fedex…..

IMG_0802 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_0801 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_0800 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

Comment

Not my style of guitar, but it is a beauty to behold! And I bet it'll play like a dream. I especially like the grain on the back of the neck and the circle inlays look really rad on the ebony (?) board. What's up with the torn lining in the case though?

edit: Checked back in the original post and previous pics, the board is not ebony. The last two pictures tricked me. Still rad.
            Last edited by nexion218; 01-08-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i would be excited as hell!

curious what makes you say that?
              If it were CNC made, you'd see CNC markings in the pickup cavities. Clearly distinguishable because they look like perfect stripes. Instead, you see a round marker. That's the spot where the luthier turned off the hand-held router. A CNC simply doesn't show it's marks like that.

Also, you can see some tearout and odd shapes on the neck pickup cavity (see page 1, 1st post). that's a clear sign of a worn template. You can also see the neck tenon: that's hand-cut, not CNC cut (again, it's a matter of markings). A CNC leaves lines. This was cut on a bandsaw and chiseled vertically to be correct.

The carve of the top seems to be cut on a duplicarver; the tearout is a clear sign for that again (see lower horn). A CNC wouldn't even try to cut it like that.

On the first page still, you see a pic of the back. A lot of tearout where the hole is drilled for the upper toggle. If it were a CNC cut body, it wouldn't have torn out like that because a CNC doesn't drill. It makes holes allright but not like a drill(bit).

Don't get me wrong: I'm not dishing his work or craftmanship. All I am saying is: it's LOT of handwork and I love that. Tearout is a consequence of handwork and that's not a bad thing perse. Bad could be how one deals with it (fillers&putty, or oversizing your parts and sanding it smooth & compensating for tearout in critical areas)).

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                Not my style of guitar, but it is a beauty to behold! And I bet it'll play like a dream. I especially like the grain on the back of the neck and the circle inlays look really rad on the ebony (?) board. What's up with the torn lining in the case though?

edit: Checked back in the original post and previous pics, the board is not ebony. The last two pictures tricked me. Still rad.
                Where is the lining torn? Don't see that?

I'd bee more curious to learn what's going on with the pot cavity backplate? There's an odd spot, on the right side (as seen from our perspective).

Comment

Where is the lining torn? Don't see that?

I'd bee more curious to learn what's going on with the pot cavity backplate? There's an odd spot, on the right side (as seen from our perspective).
                  To me it looks like the white lining in the lid of the case is torn, right in the middle.

Yeah I can see the odd spot on the pot cover. Could it be intentional to facilitate the removal when needed? If yes, it sounds like a cool idea. I personally don't have super expensive guitars and I hate it when I have to remove the screws and then raise the guitar above my head and start shaking it or trying to pry the cover plate off the body because it gets stuck in its place..

Comment

Hm, i'm not seeing the tear just a seam.

About that plate. Could be. Gotta get a better pic to accurately determine what it is. I personally rout the backplate recesses after finishing, so there is no lacquer that can get sticky or overspray that can get in the way of a clean joint. I've seen Gibsons and PRS's with a 1mm gap on each side and I thought that looked weird, hence my choice to cut afterwards (get a supersharp, brand new router bit, tape off the finish and off you go: before polishing ofcourse).

Comment

Hm, i'm not seeing the tear just a seam.

About that plate. Could be. Gotta get a better pic to accurately determine what it is. I personally rout the backplate recesses after finishing, so there is no lacquer that can get sticky or overspray that can get in the way of a clean joint. I've seen Gibsons and PRS's with a 1mm gap on each side and I thought that looked weird, hence my choice to cut afterwards (get a supersharp, brand new router bit, tape off the finish and off you go: before polishing ofcourse).
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	5817958

Comment

Actually, he does use a CNC for the body and neck, if I remember right. Rough cuts

Comment

Thanks man! It’s a Brazilian board.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102745[/ATTACH]
                            I think that’s just the lining fluffed up

Comment

Originally posted by brentrocks View Post
                              I think that’s just the lining fluffed up
                              OK, I got it. That is not a tear, not a fluff, but rather it looks to me that it is the same shape/logo that he uses for standard 12th inlay, duh!

Comment

That guitar is a beauty, congratulations on your impending new guitar day!
                                http://www.lonephantom.com
                                http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Working...
                                X