banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help wiring Invader, SSL-5 rwrp, Hot Stack Plus STK-S9b 3 tones, 1 vol, and 5 way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help wiring Invader, SSL-5 rwrp, Hot Stack Plus STK-S9b 3 tones, 1 vol, and 5 way

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
    Do you have a multimeter by any chance? This is a great tutorial to be 100% sure

I'd like to imagine ignore the green wire - bare to ground
    black - hot lead (top left of switch)
    red - autosplit mod

with a multimeter
    place one part of the multimeter on the bare wire , then the other to the colored wires
    the higher number of resistance is the pickups highest output , the lower one is the coilsplit

this starts off with guitar cables but becomes useful near the end
    When I put one of the leads on the bare wire, the meter doesn’t read on any of the colored wires. So, I started testing every combination I could think of and the only time it gives be any reading at all is when I put the COM lead on the red wire and then the ohm lead on either the black or white wires. The white wire is 14 and the black wire is 6.

Comment

Re: Help wiring Invader, SSL-5 rwrp, Hot Stack Plus STK-S9b 3 tones, 1 vol, and 5 way

the good news is we're getting two readings so this wiring will work.

Try putting the red and bare to ground - both are commons as you're getting all the readings that way by the sounds of it
      white is you hot lead - left portion of the switch
      black is your auto split contact #6 and you should be ok

the only thing bad that can happen is if the single coil in the middle is out of phase or hums, but we'll get to that bridge when we cross it. I'd love a second opinion as I haven't seen a 3 wire seymour duncan as all the guitars i worked on usually guys brought in humbuckers. But either way I'm sure we'll figure it out. When in doubt one suggestion I have is to email the customer support as the guys there can be quite helpful too as a majority of my advice and knowledge comes from my experience.

Comment

the good news is we're getting two readings so this wiring will work.

Try putting the red and bare to ground - both are commons as you're getting all the readings that way by the sounds of it
        white is you hot lead - left portion of the switch
        black is your auto split contact #6 and you should be ok

the only thing bad that can happen is if the single coil in the middle is out of phase or hums, but we'll get to that bridge when we cross it. I'd love a second opinion as I haven't seen a 3 wire seymour duncan as all the guitars i worked on usually guys brought in humbuckers. But either way I'm sure we'll figure it out. When in doubt one suggestion I have is to email the customer support as the guys there can be quite helpful too as a majority of my advice and knowledge comes from my experience.
        Okay, so I played with the multi-meter some more based upon the wiring diagram that came with the pick-up and determined that the black and bare need to be together for the red and white to register separate from one another. Black and bare+red is the weak signal and black and bare++white is the strong signal. Duncan says to tape off the red unless you want to wire for split coil. But, that wouldn't work with the diagram you initially provided. Also, I wasn't looking to wire the bridge humbucker i, or neck pick-up in split coil. I want it to be a humbucker and the standard hot stack. What would you suggest in this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by oshiwei View Post
          Okay, so I played with the multi-meter some more based upon the wiring diagram that came with the pick-up and determined that the black and bare need to be together for the red and white to register separate from one another. Black and bare+red is the weak signal and black and bare++white is the strong signal. Duncan says to tape off the red unless you want to wire for split coil. But, that wouldn't work with the diagram you initially provided. Also, I wasn't looking to wire the bridge humbucker i, or neck pick-up in split coil. I want it to be a humbucker and the standard hot stack. What would you suggest in this scenario?
          Should I just treat the Hot Stack as a single coil and tape off the red, as the default diagram suggests, and then wire the black and ground together sending the white to the switch and pot, the way you suggested the SSL-5 should be wired?

Comment

you could but what would end up happening is position 4 would hum.

treat the red wire as if it's red and white. Ibanez did this on the RG7321 bridge pickup doing this really ambitious wiring I'm helping someone else with on another forum thread. Luckily I type like a secretary haha.

The best approach is
            black / bare - ground to the back of the pot
            red - to the usual red/white spot on the wiring
            white - to the switch where it's the usual black wire for the neck position as there is a difference in the color code is why

The autosplit mod makes sure there is no hum in positions 2 and 4 because it turns having an odd amount of coils as there is 2 in a humbucker (or your stacked single coil) and 1 from the middle pickup. Take your bridge pickup for example in position 1 it's your usual hot output. Position 2 makes it into a single coil to cancel out the hum as it turns half the humbucker off, similar to position 2 on a strat. Same goes for position 4 , hum cancelling similar to position 4 on a strat but position 5 is your hot stacks highest output.

The reason why is the right end of the switch you noticed how it's just coilsplit wires (Red/white). The black wire in between makes sure the pickups go from high output to coilsplit.

Don does a great idea explaining it visually. He seems like a busy guy so he doesn't get back to every reply on youtube

Comment

you could but what would end up happening is position 4 would hum.

treat the red wire as if it's red and white. Ibanez did this on the RG7321 bridge pickup doing this really ambitious wiring I'm helping someone else with on another forum thread. Luckily I type like a secretary haha.

The best approach is
              black / bare - ground to the back of the pot
              red - to the usual red/white spot on the wiring
              white - to the switch where it's the usual black wire for the neck position as there is a difference in the color code is why

The autosplit mod makes sure there is no hum in positions 2 and 4 because it turns having an odd amount of coils as there is 2 in a humbucker (or your stacked single coil) and 1 from the middle pickup. Take your bridge pickup for example in position 1 it's your usual hot output. Position 2 makes it into a single coil to cancel out the hum as it turns half the humbucker off, similar to position 2 on a strat. Same goes for position 4 , hum cancelling similar to position 4 on a strat but position 5 is your hot stacks highest output.

The reason why is the right end of the switch you noticed how it's just coilsplit wires (Red/white). The black wire in between makes sure the pickups go from high output to coilsplit.

Don does a great idea explaining it visually. He seems like a busy guy so he doesn't get back to every reply on youtube
              Okay. So, bottom line is that you recommend your original schematic. But what do we do with the info I have learned about the Hot Stack with the multi-meter? How do I wire that pick-up?

Comment

In a guitar pickup with more than 2 wires if I passed someone a pickup they never usually see in their shop such as an iron gear or rockfield pickup and the person didn't know the color code. What the tech will do is use a multimeter and use the resistance as their guide. The higher the resistance in a pickup the louder it is. Louder is what we want in positions 1 and 5.

so the white is our higher reading
                red is lower
                this is how I'd do it just focusing on the neck pickup. I love how i can do this.

oh and it took me forever to see this reply so feel free to message me privately on my profile if i forget to reply. I just noticed the page 2 button on this thread

Comment

In a guitar pickup with more than 2 wires if I passed someone a pickup they never usually see in their shop such as an iron gear or rockfield pickup and the person didn't know the color code. What the tech will do is use a multimeter and use the resistance as their guide. The higher the resistance in a pickup the louder it is. Louder is what we want in positions 1 and 5.

so the white is our higher reading
                  red is lower
                  this is how I'd do it just focusing on the neck pickup. I love how i can do this.

oh and it took me forever to see this reply so feel free to message me privately on my profile if i forget to reply. I just noticed the page 2 button on this thread

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101587[/ATTACH]
                  So, white to the bridge tone pot middle prong, red to the switch, and black and bare to the back of the tone pot? How do you get the solder to stick to the back of the tone pot? Mine won't stick for anything.

Comment

exactly, use the first wiring as reference and this just highlights what the neck pickup does and you'll do fine.Just make sure all three pickups have two wires in the center prong of the tone controls. That would be the only way to create tone controls in this wiring.

Anyways let me know how it goes. This is an easy wiring to try

Comment

exactly, use the first wiring as reference and this just highlights what the neck pickup does and you'll do fine.Just make sure all three pickups have two wires in the center prong of the tone controls. That would be the only way to create tone controls in this wiring.

Anyways let me know how it goes. This is an easy wiring to try
                      So, I wired everything according to what you said, except the bridge humbucker. I really wanted at least that to be series. Can you tell me how to wire it series based upon the rest of the diagram you provided? Because, i already wired everything else.

Comment

with the bridge pickup, it's the same approach. Just like position 5 it'll be series as in the highest output your pickup can get, position 2 will cancel the hum

here's what it'll look like

Comment

with the bridge pickup, it's the same approach. Just like position 5 it'll be series as in the highest output your pickup can get, position 2 will cancel the hum

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101602[/ATTACH]
                          Okay, so I got the whole thing wired. After I test it, I’ll let you know how it went.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101602[/ATTACH]
                            Okay, so, positions 1 and 5 work. But 2-4 don't. I followed what you said for the main wiring diagram and for the two subsequent diagrams for the middle and neck pickups. What do you think went wrong?

Comment

3 as in the single coil works fine too right? we're very close to finishing this. My first assumption is the black wire from the autosplit mod wasn't grounded. This is both pickups illustrated. It's a lot of wires in the original diagram I drew

Hows the invader sound so far? If you're new to modding guitars a big tip I wish people told me when I was 16 was the closer to the strings the pickup gets the louder it'll become. You can also make it a bit brighter on certain strings if you raise the pole pieces with the same type of allen key a floyd rose uses.

remember with the right end of the switch. These are the actual names of the switch contacts. 0 is the top , 5 is the bottom.
                              0 - don't do anything
                              1 - bridge pickup coilsplit wires (red/white invader)
                              3 - black thicker wire in diagram - solder to the back of any pot
                              5 - neck pickup coilsplit wire (red wire hot stack single coil)

as always no wires are soldered together in my diagrams unless black squares are present

compare your wiring to this diagram and see if you can spot any differences

Comment

3 as in the single coil works fine too right? we're very close to finishing this. My first assumption is the black wire from the autosplit mod wasn't grounded. This is both pickups illustrated. It's a lot of wires in the original diagram I drew

Hows the invader sound so far? If you're new to modding guitars a big tip I wish people told me when I was 16 was the closer to the strings the pickup gets the louder it'll become. You can also make it a bit brighter on certain strings if you raise the pole pieces with the same type of allen key a floyd rose uses.

remember with the right end of the switch. These are the actual names of the switch contacts. 0 is the top , 5 is the bottom.
                                0 - don't do anything
                                1 - bridge pickup coilsplit wires (red/white invader)
                                3 - black thicker wire in diagram - solder to the back of any pot
                                5 - neck pickup coilsplit wire (red wire hot stack single coil)

as always no wires are soldered together in my diagrams unless black squares are present

compare your wiring to this diagram and see if you can spot any differences
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]101654[/ATTACH]
                                The single coil doesn’t work at all, which is why I thought the SSL-5 would have something to do with it. But the single could wiring is the simplest. I checked and as far as I can tell the single coil is wired correctly. It just doesn’t work. Do you think the fact that I am using a 500k pot and a 47 cap could have anything to do with it? Also, it's an RWRP (i.e. reverse wound) pick-up. Will that matter?
                                Last edited by oshiwei; 10-25-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X