banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed metal shred with the Zoom G1X Four...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed metal shred with the Zoom G1X Four...

Well, been busy with a lot of other boring (life related) stuff lately and havent really had a go at my guitars for a couple of weeks ..but I was finally able to do some quick wankage this morning w/ the Zoom's '59Lead' preset...so I made the most of it

No frills 80's underground/speed metal style (Helstar, Avenger, Hirax etc..) jam with my S-540Ltd Saber... (needs a change of strings badly )

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Speed metal shred with the Zoom G1X Four...

Well done.

Sounds like I picked up another Mike Varney / Shrapnel Records album in the 80s...

Comment

Thanks dude

Just having some fun ...it's meat & potatoes shred, but after a 2 week break for a bunch of other bull**** it felt good to just let things rip

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Sunday morning = time for V2

A bit less frantic this time but still a fun jam

Tweaked the patch a bit to make it a bit warmer/rounder.. (EQ/different cab)

Youtube

Comment

Day um! Nice work bro! Def a flashback back to those wonderful days of excess yet delicious wankery!!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks!

Excessive wankery ...delicious (& not so delicious ) has always been my thing haha!

On a side note ..this little Zoom unit has made me start seriously considering picking up a bigger modelling unit. There's a lot of pretty decnt sounding/affordable stuff out there ..the bigger Zoom stuff & even the Chinese modellers (Mooer, Hotone etc, which to my ears sound even nicer..) I think they really make recording a breeze. Yeah, I will likely always prefer amps for just jamming & playing live , but I'm starting to realise these can't be beaten for recording. ..especially for someone like me who has zero studio tweaking/recording skills & has never really messed with effects/pedals apart from a bit of reverb/delay in my amp's loop sometimes.

Having everything pretty much set up and sounding nice from the get go (presets) is certainly something that appeals to me. It's as simple as selecting your preset & pressing the record button. Whatever adjustment that needs to be done (if any) is pretty minimal...and substituting your real amp for the amp sim in the preset is also really quick/painless. You still have a pretty cool sounding effects chain all set up...with minimal or no tweaking to be done at all.. I kinda like that
            Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-30-2019, 08:47 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Excellent sound and playing man! At times it gets a lil sloppy tho

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                Thanks!

Excessive wankery ...delicious (& not so delicious ) has always been my thing haha!

On a side note ..this little Zoom unit has made me start seriously considering picking up a bigger modelling unit. There's a lot of pretty decnt sounding/affordable stuff out there ..the bigger Zoom stuff & even the Chinese modellers (Mooer, Hotone etc, which to my ears sound even nicer..) I think they really make recording a breeze. Yeah, I will likely always prefer amps for just jamming & playing live , but I'm starting to realise these can't be beaten for recording. ..especially for someone like me who has zero studio tweaking/recording skills & has never really messed with effects/pedals apart from a bit of reverb/delay in my amp's loop sometimes.

Having everything pretty much set up and sounding nice from the get go (presets) is certainly something that appeals to me. It's as simple as selecting your preset & pressing the record button. Whatever adjustment that needs to be done (if any) is pretty minimal...and substituting your real amp for the amp sim in the preset is also really quick/painless. You still have a pretty cool sounding effects chain all set up...with minimal or no tweaking to be done at all.. I kinda like that
                Cool info! Im starting to look into recording tools and have zero knowledge and all.. Often times I practice by using headphones into my old zoom 505. limited, but gets me sound and effects..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                  Excellent sound and playing man! At times it gets a lil sloppy tho
                  Thanks dude! Yeah....I don't play enough, hence the sloppiness. But sloppy or not when I do pick up my guitars I always have fun & enjoy myself .....that's what it's (playing guitar) is all about to me

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    Cool info! Im starting to look into recording tools and have zero knowledge and all.. Often times I practice by using headphones into my old zoom 505. limited, but gets me sound and effects..
                    A year ago I got out my old Boss GT6 multi FX that was sitting at the back of my cupboard practically untouched for almost 15 years (too fiddly for me..never could get much of a sound out of it). BUt I discovered it was pretty decent for effects in my amp's loop's.

The little Zoom G1X Four I just bought sounds infinitely better/more realistic, is way easier to use & cost a fraction of what that thing did. That's the thing with moddlers, unlike amp's, give them just a few years and they're obsolete...

It's one of the reason's why I've been hesitant to pay any serious-ish $$$ again for one of them (and of course the fact they're so fiddly ). But I think now they're at a point where they're almost indistinguishable from a real amp..especially for recording/in a mix. Yeah..they don't "feel" the same but then that does'nt really matter for recording...and like I said in my last post..they make HQ recording super easy & get you great results especially if (like me) you know precious little about how to go about recording anything.

Youtube

Comment

Agreed.. Yeah, they come out with new modeling stuff and it costs $$. A year or two later, the sounds are very much improved, etc..

just a few short years ago, to many people, tubes were the ONLY way to go for that special sound. And the modeling technology was getting good, but still not hitting that "vibe" that tubes have. Now, its getting wicked close...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Yeah..there isn't really much room for improvement tone-wise..they are shockingly close...especially in a mix.

Any further improvement now will probably be geared more towards the way they 'feel' & respond.

Man, I would be all over the Yamaha THR100HD. That thing is so tube-like it's shocking. Sounds just incredible too! But unfortunately it doesn't serve the purpose that I want a modeler for ..ie..it's basically a digital amp with reverb..like any of my other regular (tube/SS) amps. So no 'ready to use processed tones (ie..patch's ..with FX chain's all set up) for lazy-ass recording . Otherwise I'd have one sitting on on top of one of my cabs by now.. best digital tech I've ever heard/played/experienced by far

Youtube

Comment

Ha ha Hirax!
                          I love it man, thanks for sharing.
                          Sounds really good for plug in and play!
                          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Damn right! ..it's good fun

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                            X