banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else notice this about the YJM Fury neck pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else notice this about the YJM Fury neck pickup?

I've used this pickup in the past many times and am currently using in my Classic Vibe, but the pickup really is rather bassy sounding. It's very round and when you play on the wound strings the sound is actually a little too flabby.

Re: Anyone else notice this about the YJM Fury neck pickup?

With Yngwie his pickups have really high DC resistance. Around 23k or so. I have the same thing with my Dimarzio HS4 the former signature pickup.

How Yngwie combats the excessive bassiness is by using a Fender no load tone control on both of his tone controls. On his guitar that is something a lot of people over look and helps him have that brightness. Now before he switched to Seymour Duncan pickups as his gear did a serious over haul. He relied on a DOD 250 which would later become a DOD 308. 308 after his favorite at the time Ferrari. As well as a Boss NS2 pedal. Yngwie described how he gets his tone. Well at least in my own words "people don't describe the stupid amount of gain it takes to get my tone". I'd love to try his latest overdrive pedal out as on youtube side by side comparisons it sounds better. Luckily the DOD 250 / DOD 308 is super easy to make.

No load tone controls replace your standard. They disconnect the tone at 10. It's like a blower switch which a few nicknames to it is a no load / brightness switch. Similar to how true bypass guitar pedals work. When you turn it from 10 to 9 it goes stiff and your tone control becomes a tone control again.

One of the cheapest ways to combat this is with a blower switch, if you've got a USA 5 way blade on your classic vibe let me know but the last few classic vibes had import 8 inlines so this should suffice

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
      With Yngwie his pickups have really high DC resistance. Around 23k or so.
      Stacked pickups always read high. You get a certain amount of phase cancelation, and lose low end and output. So they wind them extra hot with thin wire to compensate.

Keep in mind that DC resistance is misleading. A coil wound with 6,000 turns of 44 gauge will read much higher than a coil wound with 6,000 turns of 42. They will have the same output, though they will sound different.

Output is more about the number of turns than the wire gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My current tone controls are standard. If I replaced them with no-load, would that bring back some top end?

Comment

Actually it may not be a good idea for me to install a no-load pot. That means that every other neck pickup I may try (and I do enjoy experimenting) will also be affected by it.

Comment

Good point DavidRavenMoon. I've been trying for what feels like years to mention the significance of inductance as well. However most guys will never need a 40$ multimeter let alone one in the 100s of dollars to just do tone chasing on guitars unless they plan to make a living off of being a guitar pickup maker, tech of some sort as I've found inductance to be useful in a few ways in my every day sort of uses to trouble shoot issues.

To simulate a no load tone pot In say the neck position of your guitar try disconnecting the tone pot completely from the switch to see if you hear a big enough difference doing an A/B comparison. But yeah if you plan to switch out pickups a lot the only option would be the push pull concept I attached in the previous reply.

If you do a lot of soldering on the same guitar I highly recommend putting a solderless system in. Sounds expensive but no I'm sure guys on here have spent more on picks. I came up with this myself without any outside inspiration back in the summer of 2018. They were the cheapest servo cables that work with EMG 81/85 pickups and I had this friend who is far sighted so I did all the soldering on his guitars. Long story short he gave me a challenge to find a way to make solder free systems and this I found worked best. You can also do solder free cables like this.

These are male / female servo cables. They are under 1$ (US) each. You'd want the 30cm (12 inch) ones. They are on ebay and similar sites

so how do you put them in? Assuming red is the center of the servo cable like the ones I've used the last 3-5 years from China and Hong Kong. I would shutter if someone made cloth wire versions of this.
            Last edited by shadowfire90; 10-17-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I found the same issue with these pickups. In fact, they were way too fat for my taste so I flipped them.

Comment

Working...
              X