Looking for a combo amp I can buy and forget about it (I know!) 😁

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a combo amp I can buy and forget about it (I know!) 😁

I'd really like a Mesa Blue Angel 1x12 combo but if I can't find one, could anyone make a recommendation? I'd like to keep it at about $1k but for the right amp I might go double. I'd prefer a 1x12 combo. Thanks!!!
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Re: Looking for a combo amp I can buy and forget about it (I know!) 😁

What do you play, what do you like in the blue angel, do you use pedals, etc

Help us help you

Comment

Nothing really sounds like the Blue Angel- the closest might be an old 15 watt 6v6 Fender, but the BA has more chime, more bass, and less mids than that. I don't even think there is a contemporary Mesa that sounds remotely like it. It has more bass and mids than an AC30, too. Maybe a used Carr Rambler?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm just getting back into playing. I have to learn all over again. I wasn't very good to begin with. I went through some heavy shtuff. I use OD, distortion, fuzz, and chorus. I play just about anything from some chimey cleans to grunge and metal. I've never played a Blue Angel but most people rave about them. I hear it's kind of a mix between a blackface and silverface. I just plan on buying one amp right now. My old lady left me after 25 years and she getting everything so I won't be able to chase gear.

Comment

I would seek out a Mesa Mark V:35 to cover all those styles.

The Blue Angel is unique because it is a single channel amp with two power sections, 2x6V6 and 4xEL84, and you can use either one or combine them.

If you like those EL84 tones, consider a contemporary of the BA, the Maverick, with 4xEL84 power. The two channels can get you real close to Fender Twin, AC-30, and Marshall tones in one package. The Lonestar Special is a newer version of the Maverick.

If you want 6V6 power, the new Fillmore 25 (2x6V6) and the California Tweed (4x6V6) are both incredible amps, and they've gotten rave reviews. The California Tweed is a single channel amp, but it has multiple power levels. I had a chance to buy a used Fillmore 25 and just missed it. Still kicking myself, even though I have an over-flowing amp stable at the moment.

The Mark V Series starts with the original 90-watt version, and would be my desert island amp. It it just so versatile. Three channels, nine modes, three power levels...it's like owning 27 amps in one package...yet, I got great tones out all three channels in less than five minutes total. I can't imagine a genre of music that this amp would not excel at. Mine is the C90 combo, and I stack it on a matching Mesa V30 Wide-Body Closed-Back Thiele-ported cabinet.

The V:25 is probably the ne plus ultra of lunchbox heads. Two channels, nine modes into 2xEL84, so it's manageable on small stages and beefy enough for all but the most heavy-handed drummer. I have the head and the matching straight and slant 112 V:30 Rectifier cabs. Wonderful sounding little mini stack.

The Mark V:35 fits right in the middle with 4xEL84 power and power options. To me, it sounds more like a big bottle tube amp. All of the Mark Series amp have fantastic crunch and max gain tones, but the clean tones are really good too, be they pristine clean or slightly pushed. I have the 112 C90 combo which is terrific by itself or with the 112 V30 Rectifier straight cab, or my 112 EVM Thiele cab for more punch and low-end projection.

All of these have Mesa's Cab-Clone feature for silent recording or direct-to-PA applications. Terrific EFX loops, too, but they also take pedals well.

Yeah, they are not cheap...but they offer versatility, features and TONE that you just can't find any other amps.

Have fun choosing!

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Seeing as this thread is leaning Mesa-wards, I have to point out the Rectoverb 25 - it’s a great amp for clean and distorted tones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
              I'd really like a Mesa Blue Angel 1x12 combo but if I can't find one, could anyone make a recommendation? I'd like to keep it at about $1k but for the right amp I might go double. I'd prefer a 1x12 combo. Thanks!!!
              Where are you based?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry I haven't gotten back here, I'm going through divorce. I'm in Utah and one of the guys at my local shop thought I should check out a Caliber 22. I like the sound of the 5:35,thank for all of the suggestions.

Comment

Fender bassbreaker 30r
                  Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Mark I re-issue. They're under$1000 (unless custom wooden cabinet) on Reverb. 100 watts and can sound good at lower volumes (has a half power switch and a 'tweed' switch to lower the wattage). Effects loop adds more overdrive. No 5 band but has reverb.
                    Last edited by treedroppings; 10-23-2019, 09:59 PM.
                    Newspaper article fame, is a most Ironic form of game.
                    www.exodusattack.com/forum/index.php

Comment

If you can't find a Blue Angel, the Filmore is a great amp and may well do what you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X