No announcement yet.

SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

I’ve just built a guitar using the above information with a switchcraft 3 way toggle. The differences I made to the diagram; coil splits, B500k on volume with a treble bleed circuit. Series/parallel, A500k on neck tone with a deep bass cap and phase switching on A500k bridge tone with a 0.01 cap.
    The problems that have arisen is when in bridge position on the toggle there’s hardly any sound, both the tone pots seem to be reversed and when in the same toggle position the two coil wires on the neck pick up go to ground. I have checked the wiring several times and cannot locate any faults but maybe I cannot see the wood for the trees 😫🔫
    All caps are bipolar. All pickups read as they should when disconnected but they are mock up pickups before I fit some SD’s just to make sure that everything is working fine. They seem to be reverse wired and they’re from a Fender HH jazzmaster chrome/black housing. All parts are new and I’ve been racking by brains for days and I cannot find the fault. Can anybody please help
    Attached Files

Re: SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

my neighbors got quite the collection of Matsumoku guitars and some are quite cool. I'd skip the treble bleed if you're using a B500k pot as a volume. Unless you used the A500k pot instead where the treble bleed would even things out.

by the sounds of it
    master volume - series / parallel on one of the pickups
    bridge tone - out of phase
    deep bass cut - I'm not familiar with this unless you're talking about the G&L style one in the PTB wirings which I didn't have really any luck with
    3 way toggle

help me fill in the blanks for the wiring and I'll draw something out for you tomorrow afternoon

Comment

Re: SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

First thought, SD wire colors are different from Fender and others. Did you get your wire colors converted correctly from the diagram for the test pickups you are using?

Comment

Hi they're great guitars, I got this one from a neighbour with a beyond repair neck, been in the damp so I rescued the body and made it my project. I've rewired a couple of others and modded my cry baby wah with dual Fazel inductors(Keeley spec) and no problems but this is driving me round the bend
        The volume is coil split with the bleed
        Neck tone is series/parallel
        Bridge tone is phase switching
        I followed the Seymour diagram up to the point of treble bleed and I also added a push to break momentary switch which I have removed to eliminate that causing a problem.
        The pickups are the G&L style as no Fender stamp on the back
        I couldn’t find a diagram so I worked them out with a meter, compass aand screwdriver
        Neck pickup
        screw coil red + white - 6.64
        Slug coil green + black - 7.06
        Bridge pickup
        Screw coil
        Green + black - 6.91
        Slug coil
        Red+ white - 7.21
        Thanks for the reply and hope this helps
        Both coils are split on the left and right centre terminals of the DPDT. The deep bass capacitor on the neck tone 0.6 if I remember.
        Both tones are in reverse, clockwise turns them down. Toggle in bridge mode, no much at all. Toggle in neck and centre position, The readings are exactly the same in split or humbucker. In bridge just goes open circuit. Both pickups read fine when disconnected from circuit.
        Last edited by DalC; 10-18-2019, 09:09 AM. Reason: More information

Comment

Hi and thanks for replying and yes I worked them out
          Neck
          Screw coil red + / white -
          Slug coil green + / black -
          Bridge
          Screw green + / black -
          Slug red + / white -
          Hope this helps regards

Comment

The A500k pots are Bourns and the B500k volume pot is Alpha.

Comment

Another thing I discovered is that the green/white wires to the split switch on the volume pot on the neck pickup (grey lead), goes to earth in single coil mode when in series but not in parallel.??

Comment

never used G&L pickups myself. Usually when I see green and white together I automatically assume bare knuckles pickup color code.

By the sounds of it you're using a 0.068uf tone capacitor as a filter right? If so this is easy to apply to the wiring.

for the neck tone is it series / parallel to make one of the pickups go parallel. Or is it to join both pickups output together they were trying for?
                I'm assuming parallel to make a single pickup go parallel for that weaker hum cancelling sound.

So this is what I'm assuming the wiring will do so far. Correct me if I'm wrong or if you want to change it up to something better based on your personal preference.
                master volume - coilsplit ( both pickups? ) - with a treble bleed
                neck tone - out of phase
                bridge tone - parallel for one of the pickups - the quieter hum cancelling version
                3 way toggle
                mini toggle - on/on with the 0.06uf capacitor deep switch filter

once everything is set in stone I can start drawing something out.

For the tone controls working opposite the outer contact you'll want to change it. This is a good example on this wiring. Nowhere near your diagram but for the first fix

Comment

Sorry about the pictures but I cannot alter it on my phone.
                  This is the diagram I used for installation

Comment

Diagram
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes the cap is a 0.68 on the neck tone for a deep bass sound and a 0.01 on the bridge tone for a woman tone or bright.
                      The neck is wired to series/parallel which is also neck tone
                      Bridge push/pull is wired to phase switching which is also bridge tone pot
                      Volume push/pull is splitting both humbuckers to single coil.
                      Sorry about useless picture am having issues

Comment

I’ve been having a read of my electronics guitar book and it explains about the tone suck when using series, phase etc. I don’t think there’s any problems with the wiring. However I’ve decided that there’s too much going on and I’m going to go for independent split coils on 2 of the pots and phase on the 3rd pot. Nice and simplish but not so much time drain, if this set up is possible with the phase included. I will experiment and see what happens as I can’t find any diagrams on this setup.
                        I’m really grateful for your replies and help on this so thanks and take care if I don’t get a message. ������

Comment

I just noticed on their wiring diagram they did not put the grounding from pot to pot wires. They were even bold enough to label it. I hate when wiring diagrams don't as some people can really solder but take things too literally.

With this type of series/parallel that the guitar produces it's bad out weighs the good.

the good
                          When you pull the series/parallel switch it makes both humbuckers turn into one with the switch up. You'll notice this at the input jack setting your multimeter to 200k in ohms. If I had say a JB/59 that would be 16k and 7.4k together giving me approximately 23k so a surprisingly hot guitar tone. Not seymour duncan blackouts high of output or will ever get the sound of overdrive pedals any time soon but some find it useful.

The bad
                          However when the switch up assuming this gives the series/parallel what ends up happening is to create this sound you lose a lot of the controls. I had this on my favorite guitar for a week and the selector did nothing in position 3 (neck) , position 2 and 1 was just bridge as both pickups were together. The other issue is my volume and i believe tone did absolutely nothing until I hit down on the switch.

You have a really good technique based on your photos with soldering so here's one to try. A suggestion to try at the end of the day as long as it's tones you like or will find use out of your guitar this does almost everything. To add out of phase to this wiring you need a special switch such as a Fender S1 or a 4PDT (4x3 on/on switch) to make it happen.
                          Last edited by shadowfire90; 10-19-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

oh and here's your diagram fixed
                            The tone controls are in the right order now
                            The pot casing grounds are added.

They should either fix this diagram or take it down. Then again that's asking a lot they had that wrong Jimmy Page wiring up for 5+ years and only a USA telecaster guitar wiring that had no indication that the cheap import switches have to be wired up totally different if they have one pole.

hope this helps. Try this before my over the top diagram
                            Last edited by shadowfire90; 10-20-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Hi Shadowfire, yeah you hit the nail on the head. And they don't even earth the bridge pot to the other pots, only the bridge, of which I was going to do anyway after testing. And when the switch is in bridge position the readings are in M ohms in series. There's too many output variations and make it very frustrating. You would continuously be on the amp volume. I want stable output but I know phase will drop but I like that nasally tone. I don't have to add phase to this guitar as I've already got one that I modded with that. I had problems with another SD diagram I followed with a lack of earthing. It's about time they took a good look at their diagrams before misleading enthusiasts. I have some knowledge of electronics but not the mathematical side as a genius like yourself. I can't thank you enough, You're a gentleman. Don't know why but its blocked me from viewing your attachment, quoting; "invalid attachment".
                              Say to simplify things - is it possible to use the volume push/pull as phase switching, neck tone push/pull as individual coil split on neck and bridge tone push/pull as individual coil split on bridge? I hunted for a diagram on this setup and can't find anything. I'm assuming this is not possible as the coil splits would have to be on the same pot as this configuration would not engage the phase circuit. Would this be possible if I used a standard (non-push/pull) pot on the volume and 2 coil splits together on 1 tone pot and phase on the other?
                              Last edited by DalC; 10-20-2019, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X