Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

Default Re: SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

Hi Shadowfire, I definitely agree about the soldering on PCB's - you have to have adjustment & ESD safe. I've fixed the odd PS3 and its perfect for stuff like that. What I do to control the heat is use different size tips on both irons. On the fixed heat iron, I use the point tip to do wiring & mini switches & the standard tip to do pots. Another thing; I always use pure copper crocodile clips on pots & capacitors for heat dissipation(heatsinks), which work a treat.
    On the controlled iron, the point to do PCB work, a 3mm tip for switches & wiring & a 5mm tip for pots. I think the max temp on the adjustable is 450. It's not to industrial standards. I wanted to get a Weller adjustable but even second hand they're prices are through the roof.
    I've always had PlayStation & still got my PS1 in its box in the cupboard & Time Crisis 1 with the G Con gun. Got a PS4 pro now, its graphics are almost real & the speed but the HDMI is real delicate & a nightmare to fix as its also liquid cooled. Sony want £175 to repair or replace it.
    I'm living pretty much like you - everything in one room, apart from the bathroom & kitchen. LOL
    You must be sick of me by now but yes please I want to use the tone controls: bridge bright & neck deep bass.
    IF it makes it easier I'm not that bothered about using the phase: that seems to make everything difficult here. As I have plenty of standard pots to use. Like I say, whatever's easiest for you. The spare hole in the body is for the momentary switch.
    Kindest regards
    Last edited by DalC; 10-22-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Default Re: SD diagram 2 humbucker 1 vol 2 tone split coils series/parallel phase switching

Not to worry today this is one of the only interesting forum posts for me to jump in and help someone.

time crisis i haven't heard of in ages but it was a staple in the arcades. I remember we would play on our old nintendo when we were 4 or 5 and me and my dad would play it fairly and try to aim from a safe distance away and my brother walks up to the screen and puts the light gun to the screen. We were amazed at how brilliant that is. But if I learned anything from the old nintendo and duck hunt its to aim at the brightest light possible. Some people would even aim directly at a light bulb. Angry video game nerd the youtube personality i think mentioned it Yeah for PS4 it's amazing how much of a jump it is especially games that have a really long list in the series like metal gear solid or grand theft auto.

Well either way whatever works best for you, super 5 way switches i think i've mentioned already are the only headaches but push pull pots or standard pots and switches are not a problem. So write me a list of what you want and I'll draw it out for you. I'm slowly waking up.

i can imagine
    master volume
    neck tone - both pickups coilsplit
    bridge tone - deep bass mod
    3 way toggle

or what did you have in mind? out of phase is easy to draw but hard to solder in the first few times.

Hi Shadowfire, I am in the UK so I don't know what's a good time in Canadian time to engage on here.
    I don't have a problem soldering Phase circuits but I get the feeling it interferes when splitting coils individually.
    Can you tell me if this is possible to do please kind sir? Does it matter about the capacitance variations if they differ in the same circuit?
    Bridge tone with bright capacitor(oh I discovered the bridge cap is 0.22 not a 0.01, so my apologies). Bridge coil split on bridge pot.
    Neck tone with deep bass capacitor(I've just measured that one & it's a 0.1nf....sorry) for neck pick up. Neck coil split on neck pot. Can this be done or is there interference issues with this setup. I don't understand, that's what makes it difficult, you see...
    And standard volume pot will do without the phase circuit.
    Regards
    Last edited by DalC; 10-23-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Lately my sleep pattern is anything but normal so that's the good news. I used to have a friend in Manchester and did my share of online sales so I'm good with time zones. If it was say 5am in Canada it's 10am in UK. When I used to do online sales people were always amazed at times I'm up 4am soldering something in and get right back to them with the same detail I give you guys.

here's a great video on explaining what the correlation between capacitors and pots is, this is explained by a guitarist for guitarists.

In my experience the only way you'd get out of phase single coils is with a 4PDT (4x3) on/on switch. I jokingly called it the super out of phase switch. One of the quickest to get ones is the Fender S1 switch. However the 4PDT switches from china are under a British pound each I can imagine. What I imagine would happen if you pulled an out of phase switch and a coilsplit is nothing as you'd need both coils to be active in a middle position.

there is an obscure mod called "series out of phase" which will make a humbucker sound like a 2 wire telecaster bridge pickup. Unless the pickups are quite high output I don't suggest it. It made this Dimarzio PAF Pro sound really thin like a pop can even with a Metallica or heavier band amount of overdrive.

for the deep bass capacitor 0.1uf will do the job nicely. 0.1uf is usually the most I'd suggest going on a passive guitar.

summed up quickly
    the higher the value of the potentiometers the louder and brighter the guitar becomes. To get best of both worlds the "blower switch" mod as most call it is a must
    the less pots the brighter the guitar becomes as well as traditionally pots are wired in parallel. Two 500k pots send out 250k. There is a parallel resistance calculator to try out online. Rule of thumb is two of the same resistances in parallel give you half.

with capacitors
    the larger the value of capacitor the stronger the effect at 0 as in turned all the way down. If I put a 0.1uf (100nf) tone capacitor in a guitar and turned the tone control all the way down to 0 the 0.1uf capacitor cuts a lot more frequencies. One guy I love his explanation it was like being under water. Very old Fenders have these. Jimi Hendrix I believe used the same cheap green polyester capacitors we get online on sites like tayda.

the smaller the value of capacitors the less effect at 0 as well. For instance the 0.01uf (10nf) capacitor would only do half the work.

Now at 10. The difference going 0.01uf (10nf) to 0.022uf (22nf) may be subtle unless you really stretched your ears. However even at 10 a bit of our signal does pass through the capacitor. Kind of like on most electronics we have plugged into the wall there is tiny bit of current always inside of them .Whether say a radio is on or not. That being said. At 10 as in where we don't think it's on, it does indeed cut some frequencies.

another trick to get best of both worlds is fender no load tone controls but they don't make no load push pulls. Yet. I've been telling people about them for the longest time to hopefully get their sales up and I've never successfully put a push pull pot back together.

My first games console was the first Atari system before the 2600 model. I used to play Asteroids until I got to a million and at 999,999 it would then reset to zero. Me & my mate would go round his house after school & his mum would give us a tin of biscuits, leave us with the TV & his Atari & play Space Invaders until all the biscuits were gone. Defender & missile command were great games too. Never much liked Pacman.
    Changing the subject: my friend just left me his Boss SY-300 guitar synth, for the week. It's quite fascinating, has 3 overlay, oscillator engines & you can get some amazing sounds from it. It has 4 banks of effects that follow. The problem though is you can use the same effect, say; 4 times, following the oscillator/s but you can't use different parameters within the same effect to create some unique, lets say, phaser. You also can't use the guitar effects without the oscillator/s. For around £700 a bit of a drawback, I would say but you can still talk to aliens with it!
    Yeah I'm with you now about the independent coil splits. So I know of the Fender S1 switch which is also a pot, I believe. if I get one of those, would one of the pots be sacrificed; to make way for the S1 or would I need 4 pots for this type of setup? I like the sound of that if only 2 pots and the S1 are required.
    Just looked online for an S1 switch and it's going to take me a week or 2 to get one delivered. I've designed my wiring to be removed; plug in style - so I can make up another setup, when I get the switch.
    I was hoping to get this done by Friday. I'm very interested in doing this later but I want to make sure it's all good before I elaborate. I'm going to leave both coil splits on the volume pot and leave the phase on the bridge pot - use a standard pot on neck just to get things moving. I think this will get things moving for now.
    Last edited by DalC; 10-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Very nice about asteroids, now today we're too spoon fed or gaming companies try to make us pay for every extra little feature. The American football series Madden or Dead or alive are outrageous. Pac man I had some pretty good memories playing the mrs pac man. But once super nintendo or PS1 came out who needed outside i'll jokingly say.

With the Fender S1 it's a standard volume pot with a push option. When you push it in you are theoretically engaging a 4PDT switch. This would be the only option to make the coil splits go out of phase. It would look like shoe laces or a diamond of some sort. If you did go with the S1 switch it would replace a volume, you'd get out of phase single coils if you'd want them and of course two coil splits. Where the neck would use the much stronger tone capacitor.

the reason why we need the S1 switch is every single coil would have to be thrown out of phase. I'll have to draw this out to ensure this will work.

**edit**
    so i just opened up photoshop and realized, well, with my 12 tone wiring where you get everything under the sun the S1 switch would work.The reason is every coil is going somewhere specific. If we made a single coil go from ground to hot it would affect the polarity so hum even with the addition of the other two poles the S1 offers.

using three standard push pull pots your best bet is the humbuckers to go parallel. This way a standard push pull pot could do out of phase. It's a much easier wiring too.

However to get out of phase single coils is going to be tricky.
    by 12 tone you'd get
    standard humbucker tone
    vintage single coil
    p90 - a different type of coilsplit
    parallel - for a weaker hum cancelling sound

if you were to add the S1 you could throw in a phase switch.

so it would be as follows
    master volume - S1 - "super phase" switch
    neck tone - 12 tone wiring part 1
    bridge tone - 12 tone wiring part 2
    3 way toggle
    input jack.

The 12 tone wiring is quite simple
    both push pulls down - your standard humbucker tones
    one push pull up - you focus on half of the pickup - pick which works best
    both push pulls up - you get the pickups parallel

position 2 on the switch everything is hum cancelling if you wire one humbuckers coils backwards

"super phase" would make every single option out of phase in the middle to my understanding. I've done this wiring twice.
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 10-23-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Hi Shadowfire, & thanks again for your reply. When they introduced GT Sport. Every other Gran Turismo, up to GT6 on PS3 no option to purchase anything. There was a second hand market also, that's gone now. And now you can buy cars if you're skint in the game. I just updated World of Warships; they've reduced the amount of credit you win in a battle unless you pay for premium membership. It takes forever to get to the next ship. Special ships are available for money plus invisibility which totally spoils the game. Never know ships to go invisible in battle but its all designed to dig into those pockets which ruins the whoe idea of gaming.
    Yes yes yes I love the sound of that option. Super phase will also introduce me to the S1 as I've never used one. I will order one next week. BTW my sleep pattern is up the wall these days so catch up when I can.
    Last edited by DalC; 10-24-2019 at 02:50 AM.

Luckily there is a second hand market out there to buy used games. The super nintendo games I had a friend who was a collector and spent over 200 pounds on a game once. Some rare side scrolling game from the 90s he could have paid for free. I miss when it was just skill that got you where you nedded to go as what they are doing with madden 2020 was so bad even someone who hasn't sat through even 5 minutes of American foot ball finding out about is ridiculous.

This should do the trick. The red and white wires for the neck pickups "super phase" using the S1 you may need to reverse it's a 50/50 shot. I haven't used an S1 switch in a while but I'll provide the pin out on one. How you'll know it isn't working is that you'll just get series / parallel out of the humbuckers. If it goes well you'll have around 15-20 different sounds out of one guitar. Originally I figured this out on a 4PDT (4x3) on/on switch so this is actually my first diagram with an S1 I've ever drawn for myself or anyone.

with "super phase" the X type connections you usually find with out of phase are
    the top and bottom rows
    then the side rows , i should have used another color
    don't solder any of those wires in the center of the S1 together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super out of phase.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	101645
    Name:  f9b5ffce-f1b7-4615-96d2-adc7bb79b32a.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  84.7 KB
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 10-25-2019 at 03:27 AM.

I'll be honest & admit that Gran Turismo 6 - I pre-ordered before release and paid £69.99 for the extra cars & credit. For that though I got over 2 years of entertainment from 1 game & I don't regret it. I still got it & would play it; if the broken second-hand PS3 that was played to death by my mate before he gave it to me - was repaired by me so many times that bits started to break off! I only had a standard controller & never even knew that throttle & braking response were variable on the L3 & R3 buttons. It was only after having the PS4 for about 8 months that someone told me about this. Now I got a Thrustmaster T300 GTE set-up & love it, especially with the old 70's American classic cars. Tune them up to the max 600 to 1000hp, lower them, set up the suspension, gearing, etc. The feel becomes quite real. So when all the fuel runs out in the world & everyone converts their old classics with Tesla engines - I'll still have an infinite fuel supply.
    Anyways, back to the diagram, I am honoured & grateful to have your first diagram with a SuperPhase circuit. I will thoroughly enjoy creating that one...One thing...is the pot below the S1 switch - the pot side of the S1 switch, I'm guessing it is?
    I've just ordered a bunch of Russian, high end, low tolerance caps from the Ukraine. If there's someway of getting them to you. As a gift for helping me, I would like to send you a few with different values if you would like to experiment with them. They sound amazing, it's up to you, let me know as I'm exceedingly grateful for your help, Shadowfire, talk soon.

My brother was the same way with this japanese wrestling game he bought every piece of downloadable content and has spent over 1000 hours in the game as there is a ton of customization and so forth. All the american classic cars are always a treat. My father grew up in the 50s and said how you used to be able to look down a road and know it was a Cadillac or Ford. Now everything looks the same and the joke about how you used to be able to drive a car through a wall. Now the wall breaks the car.. ah good times. But it's always great with all the games they can add extra stuff to really make us feel in control of the cars where you can tell they either asked mechanics or were car lovers themselves. How small the team that made Gran Turismo 2 if I remember right it was amazing it came out to begin with but it was everywhere so it paid off.

Lets see how this wiring goes as I'm excited to see what it sounds like first. The 12 sound part is very easy to do. Just that S1. My fun is putting this all together

Funny enough, that's the only one I never played Gran Turismo 2. I might get a copy & get the old PS1 out someday, for fun.
    I used to be a mechanical/electrical motorcycle engineer up to late 2017. And in 2017, everything in the UK went Euro 4 spec. This meant that all motorcycles/scooters were designed to be plug in by the manufacturers for fault finding. For small businesses, like mine; this meant splashing out on expensive testing equipment. More & more people went to the dealers & everything removed with faults was no longer serviceable. Considering we're meant to be saving the planet by reducing emissions, etc. The farce of mass production defies all meaning of protection. Greed is the deadly sin that is destroying our environment.
    I will let you know when I get the S1, got to order it yet. You also have to buy the control knob & button separately. Another bloody con! LOL

That and most companies these days don't have the loyalty they used to. Whether we look at the American retailer Walmart how it swept up all the small businesses to only getting over taken by Amazon in some places. I'm seeing retail stores fall off like flies mostly over priced clothing stores in Canada lately but it's finding that way to adapt right which right now is online. Clothing companies at least I think anyways would have it the hardest as everyone wants to try stuff on and the sizes aren't as strict as possible. A 5xl in China is what I believe a 2xl in north america is.

The button for the S1 is a rip off I don't know why it isn't included. There is a plastic version of the button and metal. I mean neither are made of gold. Unless it's a weird patent or something which affected the Floyd Rose speed loading bridge. For over 10 years no one could get strings for them.

I'm sure you've got a bunch of stories of crazy customers. I messaged you privately so it'll be easier to talk.

While I love the S1 switch & button, I think they charge so much because they know you can't get it anywhere else. It is clearly overpriced for what it is.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Hi Mate, sorry for the late reply, I only just saw your message. Yes I totally agree, it seems that everyone is cashing in on exclusivity rights to grab your hard earned cash & buy a bloody great mansion in a stuck up neighbourhood. Money is the only thing that makes us different from one another....I SAY ABOLISH IT !!! All the problems throughout the world will be solved!!