Need Bass Amp Reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Bass Amp Reccomendations

Hey I was needing som reccomendations for a bass amp preferably a head and cab type thing. I want something made more for metal but with versitillity so it can do rock if needed but can do any and all genres of metal. The prefered sound is large amounts of low end but still remaining smooth and not Costco sized mega low end. Kind of wanting it to sound like Geezer Butler on the first few Sabbath albums. But can be overloaded with driven and roar like sounds similar Cliff Burton. And I would like it to take pedals well. I was also wondering if I should make a cab instead of buying one if so I would like some reccomendations on size and type. What are good speakers for the amps also what are the main differences on the multiple speaker and cab sizes. And what are some good heads I notice on Reverb Ampegs seem to be a really good choice because of the prices.

Side note does anyone have experience with the Geezer Butler "Head Of Doom" I'm not going to buy it on account of the price and how much power it has that I don't need but would love to have. There are no demos out there for it only really videos talking about when it was announced at NAMM and thats about it.

Re: Need Bass Amp Reccomendations

Originally posted by Desmond_G_Baggins View Post
    Hey I was needing som reccomendations for a bass amp preferably a head and cab type thing. I want something made more for metal but with versitillity so it can do rock if needed but can do any and all genres of metal. The prefered sound is large amounts of low end but still remaining smooth and not Costco sized mega low end. Kind of wanting it to sound like Geezer Butler on the first few Sabbath albums. But can be overloaded with driven and roar like sounds similar Cliff Burton. And I would like it to take pedals well. I was also wondering if I should make a cab instead of buying one if so I would like some reccomendations on size and type. What are good speakers for the amps also what are the main differences on the multiple speaker and cab sizes. And what are some good heads I notice on Reverb Ampegs seem to be a really good choice because of the prices.

Side note does anyone have experience with the Geezer Butler "Head Of Doom" I'm not going to buy it on account of the price and how much power it has that I don't need but would love to have. There are no demos out there for it only really videos talking about when it was announced at NAMM and thats about it.
    Hello!

I'm having an amazing experinece with a SWR workingpro 700. Since SWR is closed i got one for a ridiculour low price.

They have this resonance low end circuit that is specific to that. Then u can add little fuzz/dist on top yourself.

Amazing piece!

Comment

Ampegs are usually a good call. But there are alot of different brands that work really well. From my experience bass amps are definately less genre specific compared to guitar amps, they just kind of have their own flavor based on brand i feel. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the major brands (provided youre getting a gigable rig). I currently use an Ashdown, which usually isnt synonymous with heavier music but it has great features and sounds awsome and works really well with pedals. Has built in switchable drive/compression/sub and they are fairly affordable.

Ampeg
      Ashdown
      Gallien Krueger
      SWR

Those are all great IMO.

As far as cabs go, it depends on how big you wanna go. The standard kind of half stack is typically a 4x10. For the most part the speaker configurations i see are 4x10, 1x15, and 8x10. The 10" speakers give you alot of punchiness with good low end, where as 15" would be a bigger looser low end and a rounder tone. Commonly you will see a 4x10 on top of a 1x15 for a mix of both.
      sigpic
      Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
      Dunlop Crybaby
      MXR Custom Comp
      GFS Twin Overdrive
      Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
      Blackstar HT-DISTX
      Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

I use a Hartke HA3500 with 4x10s and a 15. My guitar player refuses to turn down so I turned it across stage. I made a lot of money with that thing several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look into an Acoustic B-600 head and cab. They are great, and go for cheap used.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Ampeg, GK, and Acoustic are my favorite that you can buy now.

with those plus Yorkville and Sunn for used ones.

If you are looking for an Ampeg SVT sound but not the price -You can buy most anything good like Hartke, FEnder, Peavey etc . and a Sansamp 2 pedal or a programmable Sansamp Bass driver pedal and dial in a great SVT tone.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

my favorite bass head is the ampeg svt 3 pro. 450w @ 4 ohms and tons of tone shaping ability. the tube drive control is such a cool and useful feature, turned down it gives a spongier feel like a real svt, turned up it gives a quicker response and harder attack

Comment

Working...
              X