banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

))Modding Squier Gold Level Jaguar Bass (Need Recommendations for Mods)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ))Modding Squier Gold Level Jaguar Bass (Need Recommendations for Mods)

I was planning on modding my main bass it's a Squier Jaguar bass and need recommendations on what to do and how to do them. What I know I am going to do is replce the stock pickups with the EMG Geezer Butler set I love the smooth low end they have. I was going to put a KSM Bridge on it for better sustain. Hipshot tuners and the Extender Key. Get a Graphtech TUSQ nut. I also wanted to put a few of those thumb rests on it because I usually pick with my fingers and I like seeing the different sounds from picking in different places.

But thats about it the only other thing I wanted to do was sand the finish off the neck but I don't know how and I don't want to mess up it's JuJu by sanding off to much wood or making the truss rod pop out the back of the neck from to much sanding. So I need help on how to do that. (Also I kind of want to smooth out the body finish because the poly finish is so thick and uncomforable I don't want to sand it off but I just want to make it smoother on the places my arm goes like the arm carve and around the Jazz pickup) should I have it re fretted as well and are the miscellaneous parts on it upgradeable like the string tree thanks.

Re: ))Modding Squier Gold Level Jaguar Bass (Need Recommendations for Mods)

How is a polished poly finish uncomfortable? What are you expecting to accomplish?

I think you’re over thinking things.

Also I’d use a Hipshot bridge over that other one. Much better design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know I am over thinking it probably but I sweat a lot and on the finish where my wrist and forearm meets the body it feels like I'm literally glued down because it gets very sticky. My arm won't move around as good in fast frequency.

Comment

You don't need to sand the finish off. Take a piece of gray or maroon Scotchbrite and gently scrub it up and down the back of the neck to create a satiny, matte finish. It will FEEL just like a no finish neck, and you won't stick to it. The neck will still be protected by the finish, too.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          You don't need to sand the finish off. Take a piece of gray or maroon Scotchbrite and gently scrub it up and down the back of the neck to create a satiny, matte finish. It will FEEL just like a no finish neck, and you won't stick to it. The neck will still be protected by the finish, too.
          He said the body, not the neck.

That will work but it will leave a spot that’s no longer glossy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

sand the finish off the neck
            I read the WHOLE THING, David. Did you?
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Hey, it sounds great! I already can imagine how a beautiful Jaguar it will be. I have a luthier friend here in Montenegro called Goran. He's doing all my modding stuff. You can send me some photos if you'd like to and I can show him so he can suggest some modding ideas I guess. The guy is just awesome, helping me out about not only about my guitars but also in everything since I've decided to buy a property in Montenegro. Skilled and experienced dude, you can trust him, just send some photos.

Comment

So you basically want to replace the nut, pickups, tuners, bridge, frets and string tree, and then sand off the neck and body finish.....
                Why did you buy this Bass? Was there anything you DID like about it?

Comment

I do like alot of it the weight is chunky and is evenly distributed, the neck feels well made and i like the shape it's just my hands sweat alot and cause some friction, frets probably just need a good polishing, the more i think of the body problem i could just use some rougher feeling tape at the arm carve and Jazz pickup, tuners are actually quite well made for a cheap bass could be upgraded though, pickups aslo are quite well made but i like large amounts of low end on basses like Geezer Butler on the first few Sabbath albums, the bridge not a big fan of classic Fender style bridges they just don't feel not sure the correct word here but i guess just feels weird. and do they actually make string tree upgrades for basses? Like how strats have roller string trees?

Comment

I passed 3-4 times with a 800grit (or 1000 don't remember) sandpaper on the back of my Squier VM Jazz 5 neck to remove the stickyness. Worked very well, plays like crazy now.

Comment

I would just take the entire thing apart and Scotchbrite or steel wool all the finished surfaces until they are a smooth matte. I would not actually strip or sand any of the finish. Too destructive, for basically no return benefits.

This can be undone by polishing, if you ever want to restore it to a gloss finish (e.g. to sell it down the road).

Don't bother re-fretting until you need it, but you might want to consider a fret leveling and dressing. Most new guitars (even high end ones, but especially lower end ones) can benefit from this. When it comes time for a re-fret, possibly years down the road, then you can evaluate whether it is worth investing $200 to $300 in that neck, or whether it makes more sense to simply put a new neck on the bass, or get a new bass.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-19-2019, 05:50 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the advice man

Comment

Originally posted by addison47 View Post
                          ...helping me out about not only about my guitars but also in everything since I've decided to buy a property in Montenegro.
                          So I gotta ask, why buy property in Montenegro? I checked out the link, and it appears you can essentially buy citizenship in Montenegro by buying property there, which is very interesting (I've never seen that before). Is that what you're hoping to accomplish? And if so, why?

Apologies for diverting off topic and for prying, but I can't resist asking.
                          Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                          To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

I say strip and tung oil the neck. A poly’d neck with the gloss knocked off feels better, but it’s not the same as oil.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                            X