Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low wattage Marshall JCM800

Hi all,
    is there a manufacturer who build a decent JCM800-style amp under 1000$, with no more than 20W (or 40-50-60W, but switchable to lower wattages?)
    I'd use it only at home, no gigging or rehearsal, so 20W is the maximum I can handle.
    The reverb is not mandatory, but if it had loop FX and channels switching (clean-drive button), it would be great!

Re: Low wattage Marshall JCM800

JCM1H?

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
      JCM1H?
      I don't live in an apartment building, so no neighbours up and down, but I have neighbours on the left side of my home. I can go far beyond 1W, but the 50-100W of a vintage Marshall monster are too much for me.

I played for 7-8 years with a 20W tube head and had no complaint until now, so a head in the 10-20W range is ok for me.

Comment

Are you aware of these:

Classic Marshall reimagined. We’ve shrunk down some of our most famous amps so you can enjoy the iconic Marshall sounds at home or in the studio. With the ability to switch between 20W and 5W without the need for an attenuator, these amps perform well in any environment. The legendary tones of your heroes are at your fingertips - all you need to do is plug in and play.

I know they are a bit north of $1K new, but used or an open box?

Another idea is a Marshall JMD:1. More than 20 watts but they still sound great at whisper volume. Has a pretty good JCM800 model plus a lot more. Plus they have all the amenities for home use such as line outs , head phones out, FX loop and so forth.

Comment

AMT M2 preamp + Headrush FRFR108 2000w powered speaker. You can scale the JCM800 sound from whispering to wall breaking levels easily. I use the 12" ALTO sibling onstage and it works perfectly as a very defined stage monitor.

This pack is somewhere around $300-ish new I guess.
          Last edited by NecroPolo; 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

This sounds like a job for the Lead 12 or Lead 20 combos. They're modeled after the JCM800 amps but in SS form.
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Check out Ceriatone's line

Comment

marshall makes a few 20w all tube amps right now that sound awesome. they do a plexi, a jcm800 thats similar to a 2204 but 20w instead of 50w, they also do a jub which is channel switching. fx loops but no reverb. used you should be able to get em under $1k

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                  This sounds like a job for the Lead 12 or Lead 20 combos. They're modeled after the JCM800 amps but in SS form.
                  Lead 12s sound great, but they don't sound all that similar to a JCM800 unless you boost it with a tube screamer.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  marshall makes a few 20w all tube amps right now that sound awesome. they do a plexi, a jcm800 thats similar to a 2204 but 20w instead of 50w, they also do a jub which is channel switching. fx loops but no reverb. used you should be able to get em under $1k
                  I paid $850 for my 2525H a couple years ago, and I've seen several others for sale for $1000 or less.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Good morning guys and thank you all for the replies.
                    In fact, I don't need a Marshall amp at all costs or a 1:1 clone of the JCM800. This was perhaps not clear from my first message.

I rather want a tube amp under 1000$ with
                    - modern features like channels switching, send/return and master volume
                    -a drive channel with a classic british flavour (to be accurate, the modern JCM800 rather than the vintage Plexi)

So no modern higain metal amps, and no exotic drive channels, like Orange for example, that sounds boxy to my ears and over saturated of mids.
                    A nice clean (Fender and Hiwatt are my reference tones for clean), and a Marshall-style distortion channel(s) that goes from crunch to classic rock and classic metal, to push with a TS9 or a booster in the input, if needed.
                    In fact, I prefer something quieter to push hard with external pedals (booster, overdrive), rather than an extreme amp that starts to crunch immediately and becomes a metal beast when the gain knob passes 3/10.
                    Last edited by loziodavid; 10-23-2019, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Look at Blackstar

Comment

Originally posted by loziodavid View Post
                        Good morning guys and thank you all for the replies.
                        In fact, I don't need a Marshall amp at all costs or a 1:1 clone of the JCM800. This was perhaps not clear from my first message.

I rather want a tube amp under 1000$ with
                        - modern features like channels switching, send/return and master volume
                        -a drive channel with a classic british flavour (to be accurate, the modern JCM800 rather than the vintage Plexi)

So no modern higain metal amps, and no exotic drive channels, like Orange for example, that sounds boxy to my ears and over saturated of mids.
                        A nice clean (Fender and Hiwatt are my reference tones for clean), and a Marshall-style distortion channel(s) that goes from crunch to classic rock and classic metal, to push with a TS9 or a booster in the input, if needed.
                        In fact, I prefer something quieter to push hard with external pedals (booster, overdrive), rather than an extreme amp that starts to crunch immediately and becomes a metal beast when the gain knob passes 3/10.
                        The 2525H Silver Jubilee.

Comment

Laney IRT Studio is an all tube 15w head, most of the reviews are from metal players, but this one is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g...&start_radio=1

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                            Laney IRT Studio is an all tube 15w head, most of the reviews are from metal players, but this one is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g...&start_radio=1
                            Nice, thank you! The drive channel seems a sort of boosted Marshall amp. I will consider it.

Meanwhile I discovered this...thoughts? Have you ever tried it?

Comment

I've always thought the blue channel on the EVH stuff is Marshall-y: Mid-forward, not super saturated, tight and attack-y but not overly modern, and not extremely bottom-heavy. At least it was on both my LBX 1 and 2. It is moreso on the LBX 1, though.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-24-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X