Any eg heads onboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any eg heads onboard?

I went amp shopping yesterday in Phoenix.
    Went to guitar center, Sam Ash, boogie music, bizarre guitar, and a few pawn shops.
    I was looking for a Marshall DSL, or a Peavey xxx or 6505/5150.
    I found 1 6505, but they wanted twice market value for it.

The only interesting thing I did find was an Egnater Armageddon, I plugged a crimson swirl Jackson RR into it and played for about an hour on that thing, the gain! The mid boosts! The 3 channels of tube goodness! I was super impressed with it, dark and brutal! Tight switches!
    Even without a boost. I couldn't really justify the price tag, although I almost bought it..... but I came home and started hunting them online.

I almost bought one quite a while back, when I ended up finding my Marshall TSL.
    I absolutely love my Marshall, but now I'm really interested in maybe getting an Egnater.

Just wondering how many of you guys own or play an Eg.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 10-21-2019, 06:46 AM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Any eg heads onboard?

ive never loved the tweakers but the other egnater amps are pretty sweet

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      ive never loved the tweakers but the other egnater amps are pretty sweet
      I'm pretty much the opposite I guess. I really like my Tweaker 15, while I hated the Rebel and was unimpressed with the Tourmaster. I've never played an Armageddon, so I can't comment on that one.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I think the Rebel 20 stands as the least favorite tube amp I've ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          I think the Rebel 20 stands as the least favorite tube amp I've ever played.
          I'm curious why?

I've had Rebel 20 for couple of years and it really killed my tube amp shopping. It's that good I can't figure out a way to improve from there.

It does everything I might want my amp to do. Just right amount of power for band playing. Sounds great with a brilliant minor tweaking of tone with tube mix and eg switches, working eq stack and one of the best master volumes I've ever played with.

Unless you like squishy compressed 80's tone, watts should be kept at full all times. That's only difference it makes.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            I'm curious why?

I've had Rebel 20 for couple of years and it really killed my tube amp shopping. It's that good I can't figure out a way to improve from there.

It does everything I might want my amp to do. Just right amount of power for band playing. Sounds great with a brilliant minor tweaking of tone with tube mix and eg switches, working eq stack and one of the best master volumes I've ever played with.

Unless you like squishy compressed 80's tone, watts should be kept at full all times. That's only difference it makes.
            I'm speaking for myself, but I just couldn't mange to get a decent tone out of one. I'd never heard of the mk. II until a couple minutes ago, so maybe the issues I saw were worked out later. OTOH the Tweaker is very easy to dial in IMO.
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I got my Tweaker 40 about a year ago and i an very happy with my choice, i can get whatever sounds i want between it and my pedals, and have yet to have one of those days where my tone was just "off" or un-inspiring. Lately i've been running it in a wet/dry setup with my Alamo Embassy tweed combo, and the Tweaker on clean with the drive cranked on the AC mode. Both amps run cleanish unless i dig in or boost it with either my soul food or BD-2. The combination of the Vox/Tweed sounds really compliment and fill in each other.
              sigpic
              Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
              Dunlop Crybaby
              MXR Custom Comp
              GFS Twin Overdrive
              Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
              Blackstar HT-DISTX
              Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                I'm speaking for myself, but I just couldn't mange to get a decent tone out of one. I'd never heard of the mk. II until a couple minutes ago, so maybe the issues I saw were worked out later. OTOH the Tweaker is very easy to dial in IMO.
                Mine is MK I as well.

It does have a lot to tweak in it, but it's the general simplicity of it all I like as well. Single channel, line of intuitive pots, and two switches. I find Tweaker greatly limited in comparison, though it also does sound different in general.

Rebel does have it's own core tone you can't dial out, so I can see being disappointed if you don't like it. Or if someone wants to make it sound like some specific other amp.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I'm running Rebel 20 with G12H30 anniversaries (incidentally Rebel cabs have same speakers), and mostly have mid/treble boost in front.

The dirt in it is a bit on the soft and smooth side to my taste. Boosting mids in front adds nice growl. But my gear isn't that mid-heavy to begin with anyway.

Comment

Rebel does have it's own core tone you can't dial out, so I can see being disappointed if you don't like it. Or if someone wants to make it sound like some specific other amp.
                    I was looking for something that would do Fender or Vox edge of breakup tones and the Tweaker delivers. I also like to use the 'British' voicing as a pedal platform since it handles them differently than my Marshalls do.

I'm running Rebel 20 with G12H30 anniversaries (incidentally Rebel cabs have same speakers)
                    The Tweaker cabs used to come with G12H30s, but they have Egnater OEM speakers now. Rebel cabs typically come with 70/80s, but they may have something OEM now as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      I was looking for something that would do Fender or Vox edge of breakup tones and the Tweaker delivers. I also like to use the 'British' voicing as a pedal platform since it handles them differently than my Marshalls do.
                      Yea. I wouldn't take Rebel for that.
                      The Tweaker cabs used to come with G12H30s, but they have Egnater OEM speakers now. Rebel cabs typically come with 70/80s, but they may have something OEM now as well.
                      You're right! I don't know why I thought G12H30. I'm surely have seen some with that speaker so it just may be popular replacement.

Comment

You're right! I don't know why I thought G12H30. I'm surely have seen some with that speaker so it just may be popular replacement.
                        Those Rebel 112X cabs are remarkably well made for the money. The stock 70/80 isn't great, but speaker swaps are easy. I paid $100 for mine unloaded, and initially loaded it with an Eminence Private Jack. I have a Wizard in there now, but both speakers sounded far better than such an inexpensive cab should.

Comment

I'm curious why?
                          It's been years now since I tried it, but I remember it coming off as bland and uninteresting. Maybe it's because I had little to no experience with tube amps at the time and when I turned it on, it didn't immediately sound like a JCM800.

Guilty. I still love those tones.

Comment

Working...
                          X