banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to jack

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

Originally posted by rango View Post
    I was thinking of doing Jimmy Page wiring but that's not possible i think?
    No, you can't do JP wiring. You need 4 wires AND the baseplate ground to do phase.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101600[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]101601[/ATTACH]

I'm assuming the green wire in this diagram is my white wire, the coil splitter wire?
    No. Your white wire is the combination of the green and red wires.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 10-25-2019, 07:05 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

Alex so can i use last diagram and use white wire instead of green in that diagram. the silver is bare wire i think and rest is same.
      Short answer...no! It seems like you're not paying attention to what we have been telling you.

Really, if you son't even understand our explanations of how pickup wiring works, you need to study that until you thoroughly get it before proceeding (if you plan on doing any wiring yourself). Otherwise, you need to just take your guitar to a competent tech to have it wired.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        There can be no such thing as a ground loop in a low voltage DC circuit. It's one of the most incorrect oft-repeated guitar forum bits of nonsense.
        ^ this, 100%

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          The bulk of my comment acknowledged that.
          Yes, you are correct.

So then, your entire post is essentially just repeating my previous post (#19 I think).

Comment

The bulk of my comment acknowledged that.
            Yes, you are correct.

So then you are just repeating my former post.

Comment

Look, for your sake I'll be brutally honest with you...

The JP wiring is just way, WAY, WAY, WAY too complicated for you to even give a millisecond of thought to. Even a simple pickup split seems to be beyond your comprehension. I don't say this to be condescending or rude...these are just the facts. You need to realize that it takes years of study and lots of experience to get to the point of even understanding this wiring, and even longer before you can understand how to play an instrument with so many options.

Heck, many very experienced guitar players don't understand that wiring. Come to terms with the idea that you are learning, but it will be a long time until you can understand the complexities of wiring for series, split, parallel, 50's or modern wiring, dependent vs independent wiring, capacitor values and connections, etc. let alone phase. Be patient. It will come...gradually. A step at a time.

Comment

Thank you Doc, beaubrummels and everyone for input. I much appreciate it! No offense taken and also please take no offense either. I'm trying to resolve a problem and seeking help and that's what forums are about i think.

The reason i want to have this wired IN now is cause the most expensive part of my build is labor and i want to have all this available to me even if i don't use it for a while. I'm a on a budget as well which also involves buying an amp.

Why. Because once i would have this wired i would give it luthier for nut job and full setup. I have tusq nut, locking grover tuners and rolling bridge with hex locks. This will not move anywhere with time. Once all this is setup I will probably not have to do a setup for another 10 years. The labor cost here is in my mind. This is also fun for me as hobby. One can always get a brake job at a shop but if one can do it himself why pay 4x more for it?
                I'm pretty proud of what i've done to it already. All myself. The satisfaction of doing job yourself is very rewarding too.

The issue is missing green wire and every manufacturer doing their own wire coloring schemes. I can have this wired in under an hour with correct pickup, 5 wire pickup. I am certain of that. Unfortunately i made a mistake by not buying 4 wire conductor pickup hence i'm struggling to understand wiring schemes without 4 wires, 5 total. It's not hard to follow colors. Problems come up when wires are missing and everyone does their own coloring schemes.

According to Zanymus diagram he has accomplished JP style with 4 wires. The green wire is soldered onto exact spot where white wire goes on GFS diagram, so it looks like it's the coil splitter wire, which GFS website says it is.

Are you guys saying GFS is posting non working diagrams on their website? Are you guys saying Zanymus diagram is non working diagram. Mikus also did this. According to their posts it's working solution. Im confused.

GFS diagram matches every single connection to Zanymus diagram but they labeled white wire as spitting wire and he did green one? Process of deduction black is ground, bare/silver is shield ground, red is positive. One wire left!
                That's green wire in question. Since GFS has labeled that wire spilt wire with process of deduction i have to assume green is splitting wire in Zanymus diagram?

I'm tempted to try Zanymus diagram BUT it's modern style and i want 50s style and im pretty sure JPs 50s style wiring with total 4 wires is not posted here. Other issue is JP had 50s wiring not modern so that in itself is not correct either. That's actually part of the problem and why i'm confused. Again 5 wires pickups ONLY going forward for me. JPs 50s style wiring here is completely different from modern here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS7YvCmop8Y I'm sure i can follow that with 5 wire pickup which i don't have hence my thread here.

Maybe i should just do two push/pull pots but problem is it's standard wiring and i want 50s with at least coil splitting but in that video it's completely different and color wiring schemes of different manufactures are making this into madness. As you see i'm comparing and paying attention to different wiring schemes as i have no green wire.

I have to think about this cause i'm not sure spending $100 per SD pickup now just to get that is worth it especially that i've already spent money on pickups and i dont have push/pull yet either. Labor of mine is free. Labor of luthier is very expensive and i'm sure 100% i can wire all this myself IF i would have 5 wire pickup with correctly labeled wires in diagram. Notice Zanymus did not label his diagram what his color wires are. I would honestly rather get Blues Jr clone amp for that money. Maybe if i came across used SD pickups on ebay for fraction of the price. I have to think about it.

I went for easy Kwikplug and i'm paying for it big time right now. That's the lesson i'm taking away from this. Always go for 5 wire pickups. You have more flexibility later on. Soldering is not an issue for me at all. I'm not sure what i was thinking when i chose the Kwikplug. Huge mistake of mine. Any clarification on my confusion and suggestions are much appreciated guys. Thank you again.
                Last edited by rango; 10-25-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Yes, you are correct.

So then you are just repeating my former post.
                  The point I was trying to make, which is different and not covered by your post, is that 4-conductor pickups don’t have a single split wire. He kept repeating that the green wire in the drawings was equivalent to the white GFS wire, which it isn’t.

Comment

According to Zanymus diagram he has accomplished JP style with 4 wires. The green wire is soldered onto exact spot where white wire goes on GFS diagram, so it looks like it's the coil splitter wire, which GFS website says it is.
                    This is incorrect. You need to learn to read a wiring diagram. The GFS diagram in post #18 only has coil splits and they are located on the TONE pots. The Zanymus diagram has phase reverse and pickups in series, IN ADDITION to coil splits. On the Zanymus drawing, the coil splits are on the VOLUME controls, not the tone controls (read the legend on the drawing itself), ergo the green wire on the Zanymus drawing absolutely is NOT going to the same location as the GFS drawing.

Are you guys saying GFS is posting non working diagrams on their website? Are you guys saying Zanymus diagram is non working diagram. Mikus also did this. According to their posts it's working solution. Im confused.
                    Not saying that at all. Both diagrams work, but they work DIFFERENTLY. On the GFS diagram, you only have coil splits and they are on the TONE pots. On the Zanymus diagram you have coil splits PLUS phase reverse PLUS pickups in series, AND the coil splits are on the VOLUME pots, NOT on the tone pots.

GFS diagram matches every single connection to Zanymus diagram but they labeled white wire as spitting wire and he did green one? Process of deduction black is ground, bare/silver is shield ground, red is positive. One wire left!
                    That's green wire in question. Since GFS has labeled that wire spilt wire with process of deduction i have to assume green is splitting wire in Zanymus diagram?
                    Your first sentence here is entirely incorrect. You have misread the diagrams and incorrectly deduced what the wires do. See my previous comments in the post.

Comment

The fact that you say you are confused, even with some fairly simple concepts, and still don't get it after it has been explained to you several times by several different forum members leads me to tell you that you are in WAY over your head if you're thinking about even part of the JP wiring scheme. You will NOT be able to do it. Simple as that. You either need to resign yourself to doing a very basic wiring set up, or to take your guitar to a competent luthier to do the whole kit and kaboodle for you.

Comment

This is incorrect. You need to learn to read a wiring diagram. The GFS diagram in post #18 only has coil splits and they are located on the TONE pots. The Zanymus diagram has phase reverse and pickups in series, IN ADDITION to coil splits. On the Zanymus drawing, the coil splits are on the VOLUME controls, not the tone controls (read the legend on the drawing itself), ergo the green wire on the Zanymus drawing absolutely is NOT going to the same location as the GFS drawing.

Not saying that at all. Both diagrams work, but they work DIFFERENTLY. On the GFS diagram, you only have coil splits and they are on the TONE pots. On the Zanymus diagram you have coil splits PLUS phase reverse PLUS pickups in series, AND the coil splits are on the VOLUME pots, NOT on the tone pots.

Your first sentence here is entirely incorrect. You have misread the diagrams and incorrectly deduced what the wires do. See my previous comments in the post.
                        I think i'm starting to understand what you guys are saying. To simplify I can not do phase reverse and pickups in series as i do NOT have green wire which is not the split wire in Zanymus drawing?]

However i can do coil split in with white cable based on GFS drawing. If that is incorrect please let me know. Big question now.

Can i wire based on GFS diagram especially white wire in same location as in GFS diagram BUT BIG BUT with capacitors moved to location where 50s wiring would be or because the way pots are wired inside i should do what guy in youtube video did but with tone pots only.

I guess what i'm asking is if i can just add coil split BUT NOT WITH MODERN WIRING BUT WITH 50S which is NOT PICTURE IN GFS DIAGRAM, where caps are moved onto different legs of the pots?

The question is can i just move caps onto 50s style wiring and it's done deal then with push/pull white wire being where it is in GFS diagram or there will be more to do with wires itself?

Again thank you very much.

Comment

I think i'm starting to understand what you guys are saying. To simplify I can not do phase reverse and pickups in series as i do NOT have green wire which is not the split wire in Zanymus drawing?]

However i can do coil split in with white cable based on GFS drawing. If that is incorrect please let me know. Big question now.

Can i wire based on GFS diagram especially white wire in same location as in GFS diagram BUT BIG BUT with capacitors moved to location where 50s wiring would be or because the way pots are wired inside i should do what guy in youtube video did but with tone pots only.

I guess what i'm asking is if i can just add coil split BUT NOT WITH MODERN WIRING BUT WITH 50S which is NOT PICTURE IN GFS DIAGRAM, where caps are moved onto different legs of the pots?

The question is can i just move caps onto 50s style wiring and it's done deal then with push/pull white wire being where it is in GFS diagram or there will be more to do with wires itself?

I think I've already answered that.

Comment

I think i'm starting to understand what you guys are saying. To simplify I can not do phase reverse and pickups in series as i do NOT have green wire which is not the split wire in Zanymus drawing?
                            Half correct. You cannot do full JP wiring because it appears your pickups do not have a separate bare ground wire and the coil finish wires are connected together as a single white wire which prevents wiring some of the full JP options.

Yes, you can easily do the coil splits wiring it like the GFS drawing.

Not exactly, at least with the GFS drawing. The caps in the GFS drawing are between the pot and ground, so for 50’s wiring, you would be moving the little red jumper wire that is between the tone and volume pots and connect it to the middle lug of the volume pot, leaving the tone pot, caps and the rest of it as is. But, I just noticed a problem with the GFS drawing. The neck tone control doesn’t appear to be connected to the neck pickup at all.

Yes.

Not with the GFS drawing. You wouldn’t be moving the caps. You would be moving the tone pot connector wire to the middle lug of the volume. And note that in the GFS drawing, the neck tone connector wire is missing, so you would have to add it for the tone to work at all.

Comment

Thank you. I've used mspaint to draw the revision. Is this correct?

BTW i find odd that on the bottom pot cap is grounded to the pot where on top pot it's connected to first switch position. Is that correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	GFS Kwikplug-mspaint-mod01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	5817407
                              Last edited by rango; 10-25-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I've used mspaint to draw the revision. Is this correct?

BTW i find odd that on the bottom pot cap is grounded to the pot where on top pot it's connected to first switch position. Is that correct?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101669[/ATTACH]
                                Looks correct for the 50’s wiring part. One more adjustment is needed, I believe. On the neck tone pot, the black jumper that’s going from the switch to the same middle tone pot lug where you added the new red wire; that black jumper wire should be moved to ground/back of the pot.

Comment

Working...
                                X