No announcement yet.

I think I'm in love with a Squier? WTH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm in love with a Squier? WTH?

So a customer and friend of mine sent me his Squier Tele Standard for a setup, it was a bit rusty and the strings were totally dead.

Set it up nicely, Ernie Ball 10-46, polish and smooth everything out, did the nut slots a bit, pickup height, neck relief, cleaned the electronics, the whole deal.

Holy crap guys. I swear this guitar sounds way better than my old Fender Tele ever did. I had top shelf pickups on that one, brass saddles and whatnot, and it always sounded kinda dark and unremarkable. This thing has OEM pickups and it absolutely slays, it crunches in such a mean manner and sounds aggressive as hell with almost no gain. Could use a tiny bit more mids maybe but who cares.

Not only this spanks way harder than my Fender, it plays better as well. I really wasn't expecting this at all. It stays in tune nicely, too. I can't believe it. I think I'm gonna buy it from him.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: I think I'm in love with a Squier? WTH?

Don’t tell anybody, but squiers aren’t terrible guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a Squier VM Jazz 5 2-years ago, it's an unbelievable jazz bass, better than all MIM Fender I tried and as good as some MIA Fender I tried. Squier are making really good instruments lately.

Comment

I have several Squiers and no real Fenders right now. I have setup several for clients that play as nice and sound as good as any other guitar played onstage by pros. Usually, upgrading the Asian electronics and putting in name brand pickups is all that is needed to yield a world class instrument.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Squire is the Epiphone of the Fender line. Gibson has no Mexico equivalent. Too bad....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That's cool. If it sounds good, it is good. I keep wanting to like Tele's. Maybe someday...

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              That's cool. If it sounds good, it is good. I keep wanting to like Tele's. Maybe someday...

I get you, man. I don't like most Teles and for my style they're a bit of a one trick pony because I don't care for the Tele middle position, so I'll stay on the bridge pickup 90% of the time. I like Les Pauls and 335/339s for dirt and Strats for cleans, mostly. But this Tele man, it just sounds NASTY. Mean and cutting, very airy in the top end.

I can't emphasize enough how little gain Teles need to sound aggressive. I haven't had that with any other guitar I've owned and I've had just about every style of guitar you can think of. A hint of amp breakup, a heavy right hand and BOOM. instant rock and roll. Give some cheap Teles a go, who knows?
              Last edited by Diego; 10-21-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Squires are great- esp. compared to fifteen/twenty years ago. The Standard series made in China is particularly good. Their offsets could use some work, but in many ways are better than MIJ/CIJ guitars they make nowadays. I think Squier does a much better job than Epiphone; I still haven’t picked up an Epiphone I thought was a great guitar. In fact I’ve played more Epiphones I thought were terrible than any single brand (even if a lot of them were finished better than equivalent Gibson’s.)

My VM Jazz Bass is the best of the bunch - easily on par with MIM Fenders.
                Originally posted by King Buzzo
                I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Whatever you do, keep it in a dry environment at all times. Plywood swells under prolonged exposure to moisture.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

Well, good guitars are..good, no matter who makes them or how much they cost. Offer him a low amount for the guitar 'since it is only a Squier'.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      Whatever you do, keep it in a dry environment at all times. Plywood swells under prolonged exposure to moisture.

I think the only plywood Squiers were Korean from the late eighties- almost all of them since have at least been specced solid wood. Some VM Jazz basses are two piece. All my current Squiers are three piece

But I have an MIM Fender body that is five pieces with veneers on each side. Go figure.
                      Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

They're not ply anymore, not for a long time...
                        http://www.lonephantom.com
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

It's definitely not plywood. No idea what it is but there's no pancake in it.

Comment

I've got a COB seriall 2008 Squier Bullet Strat that I bought for a budget strat build. loved the guitar so much I gave it the works. It's one of my favourite guitars to play now. I have a recently acquired 2018 Deluxe Strat that, whilst having a myriad of issues that I did not expect to encounter, due to suspected water damage, sounds and will play amazing once I'm done with it. It's extremely resonant, and if I can get the neck issues sorted, will be a sublime guitar to play.
                            http://www.lonephantom.com
                            http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

I could see getting one and putting some sort of lipstick in the neck and a 5/2 (even if it had to be Custom Shop) in the bridge. Four way switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X