Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

Default Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

I have that Agile 7 string that I just couldn't sell and someone offered me a trade of my guitar for his old cab. I agreed because I just couldn't gel with the 7 string, and really didn't have time to play it as much as I should have. I have always hated G12T-75s. It seemed like every cabinet I ever played with these speakers sounded scooped and trashy. This was in rehearsal studios. I also had the 30th Anniversary blue tolex/gold Marshall emblem cabinet with these and didn't like it either. So the fella leaves, and here I am staring at this 2X12 Marshall that I just KNOW I'm not going to get much money for, and if I keep it, I gotta swap some speakers into it. I'm broke. I can't afford speaker swaps anymore.

Begrudgingly, I whip out the Jesuscaster with the C5 and fire up my Bad Cat 50H and...WTF??? It sounds incredible. It was late so I had to shut down after a few moments. So last night I fire it up again and plug my Chibson SG with the Brobucker bridge and the tone is to die for. The exact, heavier, not quite bone-crushing but close sound I've wanted and just couldn't get from my Greenbacks or V30/G12H30 X Pattern 4X12s. These have the 1777 cones. I haven't dated them yet, but they sound so much like the G12-65s in the 1981 JCM cabinet I had and NOTHING like the ones I'd heard before. Any info on why this may be?
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Default Re: Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

dunno but if it sounds good then run with it!

Throw a V30 in with one G12t-75 ( Bogners "flamethrower" combination). Those old JCM800 cabinets just are the best sounding of all. Seasoned old growth Birch voidless Plywood and handcrafted from the early times. I *only have JCM 800's, or earlier cabinets, and more than a few. Actually, I also have a 90's "classic" Marsall Greenback cabinet that sounds great. Lots of reports of the later cabinest lacking integrity.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-15-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Well, its entirely possible they are mislabeled. Celestion has done that often since day one.

That said, its probably the smaller dimensions and superior construction of the cab.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Seems this guy had the same impression as you and had the frequency plotted. His old 75s are nearly identical to his 12-65s and some G12ms. Weird.

http://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8008
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Seems this guy had the same impression as you and had the frequency plotted. His old 75s are nearly identical to his 12-65s and some G12ms. Weird.

http://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8008
    That's some good stuff. So if I read this right, the older 75s are nearly identical to the 65s, just with a plastic whatsamajig that gives it the ability to handle a little more power. The back says it is a 130 watt cabinet, so I have to assume the 65s were originally in it. Maybe some of that mojo is still in there, lol.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    dunno but if it sounds good then run with it!
    Exactly. The ears outweigh the writing and labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Throw a V30 in with one G12t-75 ( Bogners "flamethrower" combination). Those old JCM800 cabinets just are the best sounding of all. Seasoned old growth Birch voidless Plywood and handcrafted from the early times. I *only have JCM 800's, or earlier cabinets, and more than a few. Actually, I also have a 90's "classic" Marsall Greenback cabinet that sounds great. Lots of reports of the later cabinest lacking integrity.
    THAT is an interesting idea. My Badcat 50 combo has a V30. I have to see if it's a 16 ohm speaker though. If not, I've got a couple in my 4X12. I also have some Splawn small blocks, so I'd like to try one of those too. Wonder if this cabinet can make the old Peavey Valveking head sound a little more exciting. Mind you, it is a great sounding amp but it is very...generic? Hmm...maybe add life to the Bugera 333 too. I'm gonna be busy this weekend, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 75lespaul View Post
    That's some good stuff. So if I read this right, the older 75s are nearly identical to the 65s, just with a plastic whatsamajig that gives it the ability to handle a little more power. The back says it is a 130 watt cabinet, so I have to assume the 65s were originally in it. Maybe some of that mojo is still in there, lol.
    Or likely have some mislabeled speakers if the cab says 130 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Or likely have some mislabeled speakers if the cab says 130 watts.
    That would be cool, but the screws definitely look mucked up, like an electric screwdriver gone wild. It is something though how my first impression was that it sounded like my old 65s. I guess all the other ones I heard that biased me against these speakers were the newer, more scooped sounding ones? Just kind of surprised they would have put them in the anniversary cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by 75lespaul View Post
    That would be cool, but the screws definitely look mucked up, like an electric screwdriver gone wild. It is something though how my first impression was that it sounded like my old 65s. I guess all the other ones I heard that biased me against these speakers were the newer, more scooped sounding ones? Just kind of surprised they would have put them in the anniversary cabinet.
    And thinking about it. Mislabeled is improbable. G12m70s ran for two years prior to 75s..so if they were 65s mislabeled at the time...75s were not in existence yet..so no 75 labels.

I know that I hated the 75s in my new at the time 1987/88 cab.. Sold that cab and found a used older cab with 65s. Night and day difference... :shrug:

Anyhoo, enjoy the tone!

I only like the t75 in 112 and 212 cabs. Just too scooped by themselves in larger cabs IMO.

Open the cab, Marshall Cab's got mislabeled all the time as well. Get the code on the speaker too and we can date this sucker!
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

It could be the age of the cab and age of the speakers- it's nice and broken in

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

Recone? Magswap? Or, as was suggested, aged to perfection?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

On some of the amp forums you can find threads that describe some batches and sets of the early 75s as sounding much like 65s (there are actually several slightly different sounding versions of 65s too), and that there is a noticeable difference between those certain early 75s and late model 75s. The early 75s had a vent in the middle of the magnet that the later ones do not have if that means anything.

Like Jeff B, though, I had a set of 75s dated from 1987 in a 4x12 that I was not fond of. However, in a 2x12 they sounded much better. 4x12s have certain internal phase cancellations that reduce the mids a bit more than 2x12s.

I still have a pair of year 1987 75s that I will sometimes experiment with. I like them for some clean applications or to make a small cab sound bigger. After they aged, they did sound less harsh.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Weird, I didn't know there was a variation in the 75s sound. I will say that I kind of dug the sound of them paired with V30s, but would not like them on their own. I think for some Marshall's though they can be very good as, tonally they fit with the amp. (Marshall mid hump, 75 lack of mids)

So...going to open the cab so we can solve this mystery?
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
    So...going to open the cab so we can solve this mystery?
    Sorry, haven't been on the internet much lately. I cracked open the cab when I got it, but didn't write down the numbers. I want to date them too. Still liking them a LOT. So when does the honeymoon period officially end, lol. The cleans from the Bad Cat sound really good as well. Still have yet to put another amp through it.

Zombie thread alert! So a slight update as I found this thread looking for some of my Jesuscaster posts, hahaha! I just had back surgery so it will be awhile before I get to this, but I loved the sound of this cabinet so much I didn't want to experiment with it. I actually did look for another older 75 so I could do all these experiments with my Buzzbomb 2X12 but I couldn't afford to pull the trigger on one and eventually stopped the search. I did put all my amps through this cabinet and every one sounded better than it did through anything else. All but one, which I still have to do which is my 1971 Univox U1246B head. Didn't do that because the cab is upstairs in a small family room and that amp is a Non master amp. Has to be in the basement to dime that sucker.

So bottom line, I kept this cabinet and will never regret that trade. I think he got the better of it money wise but when you find a piece of equipment that you just love, after awhile you totally forget about the cost because you realize it doesn't matter.