banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I need a distortion pedal if I already have a Tube Screamer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do I need a distortion pedal if I already have a Tube Screamer?

This thread got weird. Me likey...

Comment

Many modern distortion designs are amplike enough in their volume knob interaction to deliver a broad range of drive tones, much more versatile than just full-on gain like the old school pedals. Or, you could just treat it as a lead channel.

Look at it this way: with a single channel amp and a TS, you have two textures available.
      Add a great distortion box, and you have four. Do you need that? Probably not.
      Might be cool and fun, though, right?

Plus, as Christopher has said upthread, having another drive stage will allow you to run your amp and your TS with less gain and improved definition, for bigger sound. More gain does not necessarily equal better tone.

There's a reason why a lot of players love - and are chasing - tones from an era before amps had a master volume control. IMO 90% of guitarists today are playing with more gain than they need at stage volume. That includes touring pros.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

There are few reasons more why you could use a distortion pedal. The pedal might give a certain tone that might not get from your amp and a Tubescreamer. I mean wise eq like Tubescreamer vs Soul Food and certain type of distortion. It might be easier when playing live to turn on the pedal than start tweaking the amp or pedal knobs. In some situations you can't crank the amp to get the tone because it might get too loud. One might play a Fender amp and need Marshall like tones. That's when a pedal is an easy solution.

Comment

Trick question. You don't need a distortion, you need a fuzz. :P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Because they sound and respond differently. The distortion might be stiffer and have a faster attack, the overdrive might have more bloom to single notes. And maybe one of them cleans up better from the pot, who knows?

A TS9 and, say, a Boss DS1 will take your tone to completely different places. Kinda like asking why you'd need a Les Paul if you already have two pickups in a Telecaster.
            Maybe you don't really need both of them, but it's good to have them.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

i'm surprised no one has mentioned it but when you run a distortion into the drive channel of an amp you get a sharpness in the attack and single notes that is impossible to achieve with an overdrive, and sometimes that agressive sharpness is exactly what you need to stand out a solo or to add the searing feel to a riff

Comment

I know Lynch and Vai both used a DS-1 as a boost into a Marshall, Satch used a DS-1 as his distortion sound into a cleaner Marshall.

Comment

I like a DS1 into a distorted amp, but many distortion pedals sound like mush that way IMO.
                  Originally posted by King Buzzo
                  I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Ola Englund did a quick test of a Boss DS1 into a squeaky clean 5150 of all amps and it sounded surprisingly heavy and chunky.

That thing can be pretty evil.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      Ola Englund did a quick test of a Boss DS1 into a squeaky clean 5150 of all amps and it sounded surprisingly heavy and chunky.

Most distortion pedals sound good through a squeaky clean amp. The problem is that most people tend to run them into an already distorted amp.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Most distortion pedals sound good through a squeaky clean amp. The problem is that most people tend to run them into an already distorted amp.

Or they run it into a 10W SS combo with an 8" speaker and wonder why it sounds kinda small...
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post

I’ve made mine ‘chug’ much better than his was able to IMO, using the clean channel; his sounded quite low on gain, a bit surprising to me.
                          Originally posted by King Buzzo
                          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I think “Ola England made a ___ sounds awesome” is the new “Jack Pearson plays a Squier.”

No disrespect meant to anybody who’s said either. I love that both of them prove that if you’re a badass, you can make anything work.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've run my MT-2 into the clean settings on my Microcube, 2 watts and a 6" speaker.
                              It sounded fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Not at all, Vai and Lynch used a DS-1 as a boost, lots of others too I'm sure, Nuno used a Rat and his sound is insanely percussive. The key is, like an OD, to keep the gain low. With a low gain, sometimes distortions make a "cleaner" boost than an OD.

I'm not talking Metal type distortions or anything, although some of those work too if they are set right. I think it's more knowing how to set your equipment for what you are trying to achieve. I agree that cranking the gain on a distortion pedal into a distorted amp usually = mush.
                                Last edited by devastone; 10-30-2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X