Desert island overdrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert island overdrives

If you could only have two overdrives (or one double overdrive) and nothing else in your pedal chain, what would you choose? Distortion/fuzz will not be considered for this exercise, but dirty boosts will. I'm planning on making a dual overdrive.

Right now I'm thinking about a hotrodded Blues Driver/Tubescreamer combo. I've got quite a few potential mods lined up, but I'm also considering doing something less obvious, like maybe a Bluesbreaker/OCD combo.

What's your thoughts?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Desert island overdrives

Right now, based on what I currently own, my SD 805 which is the best TS variant that I’ve tried; and my Wampler Paisley drive. Both are great pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok.... I’m going to repeat something that I beat into the ground here. Match your overdrive to your amp and guitar. My Strat and Princeton Reverb match perfectly with a Fulldrive 2. It’s just perfect with my rig, the way it’s voiced. The other pedal that works great for me is the Wampler Pinnacle. They stack great as well.

I recently got a new pedal, I haven’t posted it here because for some reason everyone hates expensive stuff... It’s the Kingtone Duellist. Absolutely killer pedal. This is a Tube Screamer circuit into a Blues Breaker circuit. I’ve used other Bluesbreaker based pedals before (Snouse Blackbox, Wampler Pantheon and obviously the King of Tone) and they stack wonderfully with a TS style pedal.

So, long story short, a TS->BB pedal would be great, but expect to tweak and modify it to get the best results. Just throwing two BYOC circuits together will sound good, but tweak for your rig to make them sound great. Even though all the pedals above are based on existing circuits, what you are paying for is the designer’s ear to make them sound even better and hopefully sound great with your rig.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If I'm on an island that has electricity to power an electric guitar rig I somehow suspect it may not be a desert island.

Strymon Riverside covers a lot of ground.

Comment

Keeley Katana and Ibanez TS-7.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Ok.... I’m going to repeat something that I beat into the ground here. Match your overdrive to your amp and guitar. My Strat and Princeton Reverb match perfectly with a Fulldrive 2. It’s just perfect with my rig, the way it’s voiced. The other pedal that works great for me is the Wampler Pinnacle. They stack great as well.

I recently got a new pedal, I haven’t posted it here because for some reason everyone hates expensive stuff... It’s the Kingtone Duellist. Absolutely killer pedal. This is a Tube Screamer circuit into a Blues Breaker circuit. I’ve used other Bluesbreaker based pedals before (Snouse Blackbox, Wampler Pantheon and obviously the King of Tone) and they stack wonderfully with a TS style pedal.

So, long story short, a TS->BB pedal would be great, but expect to tweak and modify it to get the best results. Just throwing two BYOC circuits together will sound good, but tweak for your rig to make them sound great. Even though all the pedals above are based on existing circuits, what you are paying for is the designer’s ear to make them sound even better and hopefully sound great with your rig.
            Well I've nailed down the particulars of the BB. I'm going to use a variation of the MHP Galaxie that I've tuned to my specific tastes. As for the TS, I haven't figured out an exact list of things that I'm gonna do to it, but I know what I'm looking for and I know how to get there.

I've also been looking at Chase Bliss pedals recently and that got me thinking that I might put a row of 10 dip switches along the top of the pedal to tune the halves to certain applications. Maybe some single/humbucker switches on BB and some switches on the TS to move it more towards less transparency and better higher gain tones.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Well, the 805, of course.
              I also dig the Bad Monkey and the BYOC Silver Pony (Klone). I have a few TS pedals too, (TS5 & TS7), but the 805 can clone that sound.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                Well I've nailed down the particulars of the BB. I'm going to use a variation of the MHP Galaxie that I've tuned to my specific tastes. As for the TS, I haven't figured out an exact list of things that I'm gonna do to it, but I know what I'm looking for and I know how to get there.

I've also been looking at Chase Bliss pedals recently and that got me thinking that I might put a row of 10 dip switches along the top of the pedal to tune the halves to certain applications. Maybe some single/humbucker switches on BB and some switches on the TS to move it more towards less transparency and better higher gain tones.
                That’s a great idea. A few different clipping diode options, maybe a bass switch and mid switch, high presence option...
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

EHX Soul Food, and anything that will give a boost into it.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Here's what I'm thinking of at the moment:

For the BD or BB:

1. 9v/18v
                    2. Stock / Changes tone knob frequencies
                    3. Stock / Presence cut
                    4. Stock / "Fat" mode
                    5. Change diodes
                    TS side
                    1. 9v/18v
                    2. Stock / Changes tone knob frequencies
                    3. Stock (.22uf)/C3 = .1uf (tighter bass)
                    4. Stock (3.3k)/R6 = 1k (more gain)
                    5. Both diodes MA150 / Red LED + Germanium 1N34a in series, E = 1N4001

I'm also going to put a three way switch to select between the two series options and parallel.

Comment

Check out the BYOC Green Pony - it’s a great Pedal with various switching options- stacked with a Silver Pony (Klon) things can get very interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Boss BD-2. It does everything I need from an Overdrive. Also distortion. And can almost do fuzz in a pinch.

I guess I'd add an EQ pedal to it if I needed some different sounds, like a mid boost or something.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Wow - fun question! My #1 OD is a Stamps Drive-O-Matic, so I'll take that. Two TS9-esques, with a tight/loose switch, and presence, plus more drive. That's my "Happy Sound" selection. However...

For Maximum tone/sculpt I';m going with these two:

A TS9DX - 4 Screamer tones, more bottom, gain, etc
                          An 805 - 3 bands, active controls, etc.

I bet I could dial in any freaking thing with those stacked/side by side
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Wampler Clarksdale, or Xotic BB Preamp.

Comment

If I was going to be stuck on this hypothetical desert island I'd take something with a ton of tweak ability like an Earthquaker Devices Palisades or Duncan's Palladium. That being said I just use a stock Boss SD-1 at the moment and I'm mostly content with it. I'm one of those weird guys that like the SD-1 more than Tubescreamers, but Abominable Electronics has a different take on the TS they call a Hellmouth that I like.
                              Last edited by Cdwillis; 11-02-2019, 01:49 PM.
                              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...
                              X