banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wampler Pedals CataPULP British Distortion Pedal: A Comprehensive and Complete Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wampler Pedals CataPULP British Distortion Pedal: A Comprehensive and Complete Review

HOLY F&$@ING S%*#!
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Re: Wampler Pedals CataPULP British Distortion Pedal: A Comprehensive and Complete Re

Can you elaborate?

Comment

Re: Wampler Pedals CataPULP British Distortion Pedal: A Comprehensive and Complete Re

It’s very nice. Brian does high gain better than most.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I bought it for the filth, but there are some really fantastic cleans and edge-of-breakup sounds in here too. That combined with the CRAZY range of the EQ means that it will do a truly remarkable number of things really, really well. But when I do dial in the dirt, it sounds huge.

I'm tempted to mount it on top of my cabinet, away from the pedal board, because it's such NOT a set-and-forget pedal.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        It’s very nice. Brian does high gain better than most.
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Update: I bought a second one, so that I can set one up for just-barely-dirty, with one EQ curve and the other for Filth, with a very different EQ curve and then use a looper switcher to flip between them.

Tempted to put a boost before the switcher, going from two sounds to four, but I'm not really a tap dancer, so I think I'm more likely to set everything the way I like with the guitar volume turned down just a touch and use the last bit of instrument output as my boost.

Comment

If you run them in series you would have three sounds (A, B, A+B). Just barely dirty makes a nice boost into filth to make it more filthy. Or back filth down to dirty & let the combo be filthy.

Comment

I could, and have done that with two different pedals plenty of times, but it's not what I'm looking for here. I want to a) be able to switch between the two sounds with a single stomp and b) be able to set each one to sound best completely independent of the other*. Basically, I'm combining two AIABs to make a two-channel AIAB.

Should I have just bought something like the Rocker Terror or the Brent Hinds Terror and skipped all this nonsense? MAYBE! But here we are. Plus, this actually gives me better EQ control on the cleaner channel and is about $500 cheaper.

*-I've learned over the years that I can set a pedal up to sound great on its own OR to sound great feeding into another gain stage, but usually not both at the same time. Some of that comes down to EQ choices, but most of it has to do with final output level.

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
              If you run them in series you would have three sounds (A, B, A+B). Just barely dirty makes a nice boost into filth to make it more filthy. Or back filth down to dirty & let the combo be filthy.

Comment

Have owned mine for a while, it's become an indispensible part of my rig...

Comment

whats the difference between the versions? there is a used v2 around here that i kinda wanna try

Comment

For most Wamplers, the V1s have jacks on the side and the V2s have them up top. The Catapulp was a very late addition to the (v1) line and always (afaik) had jacks on top, so for it there is, to my understanding, no difference at all.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    whats the difference between the versions? there is a used v2 around here that i kinda wanna try

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                      *-I've learned over the years that I can set a pedal up to sound great on its own OR to sound great feeding into another gain stage, but usually not both at the same time. Some of that comes down to EQ choices, but most of it has to do with final output level.
                      That certainly makes sense. Sorry for stating the obvious

Comment

I've tried to get my hands on one a bunch of times but the are rarely for sale in these parts and I have other pedal priorities. But goddamn I do want one.
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Not at all! It's a valid approach.

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          That certainly makes sense. Sorry for stating the obvious

Comment

Well, their prices here tend to be between $90-$120 (with some rare outliers). Shipping to Sweden would be, based on a little bit of googling just now, about $15-20.

Sooooo... if you bought one from the US near the low end of the price range, your final cost would still be within the normal range.

I suppose the challenge then becomes finding a seller willing to deal with international shipping. You'd probably have better luck with a business, rather than a private seller. I happen to know for a fact that this dealer will accept an offer of $90, as that was their counter to an offer I made on this listing: https://reverb.com/item/30186142-wam...ish-distortion

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                            I've tried to get my hands on one a bunch of times but the are rarely for sale in these parts and I have other pedal priorities. But goddamn I do want one.
                            Last edited by St_Genesius; 12-06-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

As you said, you need someone willing to ship. And then theres shipping costs and import taxes tacked on. Privately importing from the US is rarely worth it unless its something unique.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X