7 Position Rotary Wah Switch Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Position Rotary Wah Switch Install

So recently I picked up a 2nd backup Vox 847 wah...Since I now have all kinds of time to do whatever,I decided to do the sweep cap rotary switch thing in this one...

If any of you would like me to show you how it's done...Give me a hollar and will try getting photos up..

Anyway....It's C5 on the early version 847 and stock cap value is .01 as it is on pretty much most wahs...

On my switch I went with these values. .0082, .01, .012, .015, .022 .033 and .05 Pretty much (for me) the only usable values in my case are the 2nd,3rd,and 4th cap values..

My favs are the .01 which I like for humbuckers and the .012 or the .015 for single coils....The larger the value,the more the overall sweep range of the wah drops a bit...

This is just one mod and there are input cap and resistor changes...The mid resistor,changing the transistors,and the gain resistor..

Let me know if any of you are into this and I will share my own experiences with you all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 10-26-2019, 08:46 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: 7 Position Rotary Wah Switch Install

Click image for larger version

Name:	847 Wah Board Recent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	5817421

And this is one of my boards....
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have a stock Crybaby and a JH-1 Hendrix Crybaby. I'd be very interested in adding a switch to one/both.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        I have a stock Crybaby and a JH-1 Hendrix Crybaby. I'd be very interested in adding a switch to one/both.
        Cool...Let me figure out a way to post the rotary switch and then I can explain the install..Pretty easy really.

Comment

If you know which cap is the sweep cap on both of your wahs,would make it easier? It's almost always a .01 but probably a .02 on the JH1.Otherwise I need photos of both wah pcbs to determine where the caps are.

Comment

I'll get some photos of both. Thanks in advance!

Do you find any of the other positions useful for different strength pickups? For instance, one value for a PAF neck pickup, another for a hotter bridge? I love wah, and love the idea of being able to really fine tune it.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Once you have the stock .01 "sweep cap" located on your wah board,it needs to get unsoldered and removed from the pcb.

You are going to solder two wires into the 2 locations where the sweep cap was removed. One side of these wires will solder and connect to all of the ends of the caps.
              The second wire will solder onto the dedicated lug on the rotary switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	ROTARY4.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	5817422Click image for larger version

Name:	ROTARY5.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	5817423

Name:	ROTARY6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	5817427
              Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 10-27-2019, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Line up each of the caps as shown and have one end of all the caps standing up in the air...These will all be connected together..Solder all the opposite caps ends to each of the rotary switch terminals..

I'm using a 7 position and really don't need 7 but that's what I had...Line the cap values from smallest to largest values..

Notice the 2 wires that are on the switch...One is connected to every cap end.

The rotary switch now becomes a multi capacitor setup and sits between the now 2 open pcb holes where the original sweep cap was.

The other wire is soldered to that lone terminal on the switch and is the hot lead..Click image for larger version

Name:	ROTARY3.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	5817424

Name:	ROTARY 1.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	5817425

Name:	ROTARY6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	5817426

So look at the rotary switch and notice the 7 pin/lugs where each lug will get it's own cap...Then notice that single pin below the 7 lugs..Thats the hot side wire that will go to the pcb....

All of the other wire sides of the caps go to that second resistor side of the pcb.

I connect all my cap wires via standoffs and then I run a wire off the standoff to the pcb...Pretty easy mod..
                Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 10-27-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Do you find any of the other positions useful for different strength pickups? For instance, one value for a PAF neck pickup, another for a hotter bridge? I love wah, and love the idea of being able to really fine tune it.
                  Currently mine is .0082 .01 .012 .015 .022 .033 and .05....Really anything over .015 to me is weird sounding and bassy and dark...I will probably only use the .01 .012 and the .015 I like the .012 if I had to pick one cap though....The stock .01 is great for the humbucker and as mentioned .012 or .015 for single coils,different amp setups etc...Very cool mod..

Comment

Be sure you have room for the switch and that you leave room so the back metal panel doesn't contact the switch...Be careful getting that hole drilled in the right spot..That's it...Contact me with questions etc...There are mods for gain via an external pot or board mounted trimmers if you want furthers..

Comment

Name:	pcb5.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	5817428

Pretty common CB board layout,but there are many boards.

Comment

Thanks man. I’ll hit you up with any questions.

Comment

Thanks man. I’ll hit you up with any questions.
                          Here are the cap values used in the CB 95Q wah..Click image for larger version

Name:	95Q CAPS.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	5817429

Do you have caps and know where to get the parts? Smallbear is excellent for this stuff....I just always use a good quality poly cap as I honestly don't hear any tonal differences in my wahs going crazy with pricey caps..

Notice that .0012 cap in parallel with the normal .01 in that schematic to get a slightly higher cap reading on the rotary switch values in that wah...
                          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 10-26-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

This is pretty cool. I have an early 80s Crybaby, and that wasn't the best era for them. Despite changing the pot over the years, it is noisy, and hisses, and has no DC adapter jack. I was thinking of scrapping the insides and re-building the whole thing. This mod has me thinking about that again.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dave, you can get a replacement drop in board inexpensively. My Crybaby has one, and it’s worked fine for close to 10 years with none of the issues you mentioned. I think I paid $30.

Comment

Working...
                              X