Mesa: Do they make a bad amp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa: Do they make a bad amp???

You know, I am a huge "Marshall" sound fan, although I like all kinds of stuff. That said my main mega amp is a Mesa Stiletto (Yeah - it is Mesa's "Marshall" take...). Anyway - never saw that coming.

But - as I reflect on suggested amps, I have to ask; Is there a "bad" Mesa out there? Sure, the Triple Recto is not for everyone. However, I thin k wee would all agree that there are Marshalls that are meh, so-so, or leave a lot to be desired. Meanwhile, I don't think I ever see these things said about anything in the Mesa line.

What say you?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Mesa: Do they make a bad amp???

I can’t speak to bad Mesas. I don’t have enough experience.

Re the comparison with Marshall it feels unfair because Marshall has to cater to a much wider audience from beginner to rock gods to anything in between.

Comment

Randall Smith makes a great amp.
      I have a Dual Rec & a MK III combo.
      Everytime i play them im always amazed how great they sound for stock amps.
      Ive been a Marshall guy for 40 years but these amps can definetly cover that territory.
      The MK III is truly a Marshall killer.

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but does Mesa even make a budget or mid tier amp? I can't think of one -so I can't think of a bad Mesa -sure there are some I wouldn't use for certain things -but the same can be said for Marshall, all of Marshall's less than desirable amps are an attempt to service the beginner and mid-tier markets -you can't really say Marshall has made a bad premier level amp either.

So yeah, I'll buy that Mesa have only made good amps.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think it comes down to Mesa not cheaping out on budget amps so you know it's going to be well designed circuits and excellent QC. I've only played through friend's Mesas, a dual rectum fryer and a Mark 5 I think or whatever Mark it is, and they were awesome amps. I remember reading that you gotta tweak those Mark amps to dial in a good sound, yet every setting I played with sounded good to me.
          "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Well, there are amps that are geared towards a certain audience, and those outside that audience might not care for it. But they haven't come out with a universal dog yet. Compare that to Marshall or Fender.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ace, I’ve still got GAS for a Stiletto thanks to you.

I agree with a lot of the comments, MESA makes professional gear. It’s like Snap On, do they make budget tools?
              Last edited by PFDarkside; 10-27-2019, 01:50 PM.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Also, I don't think that amp companies trying to serve kids and beginners with cheaper serviceable amps that may not be "great" as a bad thing. Sure Mesa has avoided this business tactic, but there is a place in the market for cheaper amps that could be argued as equally important to the great pro amps -I mean how man totally simple Solid State Peavey amps in the 70s and even sh*ttier Crate amps in the 80s launched the musical interests of 10s of thousands of kids who went on to make important music?
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I heard of faulty MESA Transatlantic TA15, due to a design flaw, meaning that all the units within certain serial numbers share the same problem.
                  A reverb/effects loops noise issue, but I haven't investigated further, sorry!

Comment

If & when Mr. Smith steps down & or passes the torch i have faith MESA will remain the great company it is as Randall has never been about the money.
                    MESA customer service is as good as its gets, ive used them many times and they're outstanding.
                    Cant say that for everyone.
                    Randall Smith is credited with the first cascaded preamp & first master volume amps about 10 years before anyone else.
                    He has always been an innovator.
                    He started out building HAM radios from scratch as a kid.

Comment

The Triple Rec is a great amp suitable for all kinds of music, but stick a tread plate on it and give them to the nu-metal players of the time and you get the initial bump in sales and a reputation for being a one trick pony.

Comment

Mesa: Do they make a bad amp???

I had a rare special opportunity to play a Dual Rectifier half stack against Carlos Santana’s old ‘68 Marshall Plexi half stack at The Plant studios in 1990 and the Dual Rec perfectly duplicated that “howling after-burner of a jet” sound that the old Plexi Marshall’s made. The difference was I could roll the volume on my guitar back a couple numbers and get clean on the Plexi but the Mesa Dual wouldn’t clean up that easy. Not necessarily a criticism, just an observation. It did what it did better than any other amp at the time.

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                        I've only played through friend's Mesas, a dual rectum fryer and a Mark 5
                        I don’t think I could handle a “dual rectum fryer.” I’ll trust others opinions on that one. ;-)

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever heard or played through a bad sounding Mesa?

It has been my experience that some we’re designed & built better than others though...
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                            My perception is that, unlike a lot of amp companies, Mesa doesn’t set out to punish you for not buying an upper-tier product. Everything they put out is designed to be some iteration of a great amp — not somebody’s idea of a “good value” or “decent for the money”. I think they take all their products seriously, and they design and built them as such.
                            yep ...

Comment

I mean, if you're really looking that direction I'm sure they'll make something custom for you...
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                              X