banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Personally, I like the Fender Fat 50's neck, SSL-1 middle, and SSL-5. I wanted to mix and match a little. I don't know if I've ever run a full matched set in a strat. I've got a set of Yosemite pickups waiting to go in a build I'm currently working on, but that's going to be SSH.

Re: Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

For me, 2 Classic Stacks and a Little 59.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      For me, 2 Classic Stacks and a Little 59.
      Is position 2 quack gone with that combo? I don't know if I'm destined to ever fully get along with a bridge single coil, except in a tele.

Comment

Antiquity Texas Hot set. With even output on all three is better (e.g. with the 6-7k bridge rather than the 10k)

Comment

I am currently digging Fralin Vintage Hots
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Probably APS-1/SSL-1/SSL-5, close second is CS69/CS69/SSL-5
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Surfer/Surfer/Twangbanger or Fat 50s and SSL5 in the bridge.
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                Is position 2 quack gone with that combo? I don't know if I'm destined to ever fully get along with a bridge single coil, except in a tele.
                I use the vastly superior neck & middle combo instead.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                  Surfer/Surfer/Twangbanger or Fat 50s and SSL5 in the bridge.
                  How does that twangbanger sound with overdrive?

Comment

I'm really liking the SSL-2, SSL-2, Tappable SSL-6 combo I've got in my Charvel strat.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                      How does that twangbanger sound with overdrive?
                      Love it....Depends on the music of course...Classic rock/blues guy here..I've been using the TB ever since it came out...Have them in 2 strats actually.
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Dimarzio Area 58/67/61 set.
                        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Bare Knuckle Apaches. I ran through a lot of Strat pickups before those ended my search.

Comment

I have come to realize that I like three matching singles in a Strat. They could be low, medium, or high output…but they must be all the same model pickup, or at least comparable in specs to each other, to sound their best, in my opinion.

A majority of my Strats have three vintage output singles, but I have a few with a bit more oomph (all three of my G&L Legacys – approx. 7KOhm pickups, and a MIM Fender with three DiMarzio Red Velvets, which are around 8K and A5 powered, so very similar to Tele/Esquire bridge pickups). And I have one with a lot more oomph (three DiMarzio SDS-1s, which are very similar to P90s). But all follow the scheme of three identical or nearly identical pickups.

Also, all of my Strats have the typical SSS pickup setup.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-11-2019, 05:31 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There are a few mixed combos I like a lot that use a 50s type neck, a 60s type middle and a moderately overwound bridge.
                              D Allen Echoes set and the Onamac Pinktones both fit this formula.
                              Also a fan of Fralin Vintage Hots, though I only have those in one guitar so far.
                              I like light, glassy 60s-flavored winds too - Fralin Woodstock 69s and Chevalier 67s.
                              That's talking modern singlecoils.

But I've never found anything I like better than the original pickups in my '63 Strat.
                              They're the standard by which I judge all others.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X