banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    That’s cool. My point was more that I’ve had more success playing a variety of Strat-based music when all three coils were about the same output. The Antiquity hot bridge just made my ‘66 Strat sound more like a Tele, which is not a bad thing and it rocked pretty hard as needed, but when I had all three the same output, I was able to cover even more musical territory.
    Do you output in terms of volume or in terms of DCR? I have Texas Special which have very even volume with a DCR from 6.3 to 6.7 to 7.4k of 42awg PE.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
      Do you output in terms of volume or in terms of DCR? I have Texas Special which have very even volume with a DCR from 6.3 to 6.7 to 7.4k of 42awg PE.
      Volume. I can tell my 10k Ant hits the front of my amps harder than a 6-7k bridge does. Breakup point changes and the base tone darkens notably. The amp (tubes and speakers) smooths out the overall level, so it doesn’t sound like it’s louder, but the response changes.

Comment

I agree that having dissimilar pickups gives you some very non-stratty tones, and that having identical pickups gives the most quack in 2/4 pos

Comment

My current main SSS setup is CS'69/CS'69/Antiquity Surfer II Custom Bridge in an American Deluxe Strat (took out those SCN and never looked back).

Currently contemplating in my second Strat CS'69/Five-Two (non-RWRP)/Twang Banger

Comment

I like SSL-5 / SSL-7T combo in my main strat, very versatile.

However I have Twangbanger that does cover a lot of same territory as that combo on itself. A brilliant pickup.

I'm currently wiring that guitar for APST / APST / permanently tapped SSL-7 combo.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
            X