banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

BIG fan of the Antiquities Texas Hots here!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      BIG fan of the Antiquities Texas Hots here!
      I've heard a few guys use a set of these live, and they sounded amazing. I wish I could make Strats sound that good.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love my STK-S9/S4/S4 Stacks, but also love 3 Hotrails, or 3 Coolrails. But most of all, I can't get over how much I like the Livewire II Classic set. Sweet and noiseless.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
          Dimarzio workhorse guitar: Injectors, Area 67, Area 58

Paul gilbertesque wankery: Injectors, area 67, Injector

Duncan guitar workhorse: Everything Axe except for a lil59 or lilSDemon in the bridge.

Don't wanna spend a arm and a leg and wanna support small business: Wilde L-298, L-200, L-280
          You are back on the Injectors?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I thought i hit you up when i rebought them.

I have them modified with a .001 on the tone knob to keep things under control. Recommend it for them. Has a useful sweep to get rid of any extreme treble you might want taken out ... even sounds good on zero.
            Lol . . .

"This guitar goes from 11 all the way down to 10 with just a twist of the knob!"
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The custom shop 54s are in my strat right now and I might swap them at some point for antiquity IIs but for now I like that you get 2 5.9K a5 strat pickups that have nice bass and arent super scooped, and 6.5k a5 bridge that knocks off some treble without making the #2 position sound too hot.
              I looked for a set with a just slightly overwound bridge and these really fit the bill and I looked awhile and got a good deal on them I think I paid $115 new for the set and they are a huge step up from stock and they sound a little less harsh to me than SSL-1s

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                Ordered a set of Robusta/Butt Beauty 2-weeks ago. Waiting...
                They replaced the STK-S4n and STK-S7b in my Fender Strat. I liked them way more. It's the Strat sound I had in my head. Very balanced, very affordable ($90 for the full set).
                Obsidian pre-wiring might have helped also.

Comment

I've tried to gel with Strat singles for years. The Classic Stack Plus is fantastic and I really do like it but after a time, I found it wasn't what I was really wanting in a SSS setup. After fumbling about with a few other options, I decided to give the Fender SCN's a try and snagged some off eBay. This was easily 10 years ago or more. I really liked how they responded to my style. Still Stratty but more modern Stratty, which is fine by me, and quiet. Then I ended up selling the Strat to buy a SG Classic with even better single-coils - P90's.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Antiquity Texas Hot set. With even output on all three is better (e.g. with the 6-7k bridge rather than the 10k)
                    The 10k bridge of the Texas Hot is wound with 43 awg wire to get a thinner coil. The amount of windings is similar to a 8k of 42 awg wire.
                    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-02-2020, 02:03 PM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                      The 10k bridge of the Texas Hot is wound with 43 awg wire to get a thinner coil. The amount of windings is similar to a 8k of 42 awg wire.
                      That’s cool. My point was more that I’ve had more success playing a variety of Strat-based music when all three coils were about the same output. The Antiquity hot bridge just made my ‘66 Strat sound more like a Tele, which is not a bad thing and it rocked pretty hard as needed, but when I had all three the same output, I was able to cover even more musical territory.

Comment

I am super happy with my Eric Johnson pickups on my EJ strat. The neck is snappy clean but not too bass heavy. Its very usable and versitile. the middle is completely out of the tone control circuit so its wide open. Its got a wonderful punchy midrange quality. Its a got a very cool punchy clean tone and I prefer its clean tone to most strats clean neck tone. I can control it with the volume knob but again, it has no tone knob so its just wide open. the bridge pickup is clean but suprisingly good with high gain amps. it doesnt chug chug hard like a JB pickup but its bottom end is tight while the lead tones are clear with a high gain amp. its a great pickup. I think the res is 300k instead of the usual 250k on most strats. I will warn anybody that the neck is quatersawn and this add snap and midrange to the guitar so the same pickups in a different guitar with a thin flatsawn neck and polyester finish will sound different.

Comment

I had the Klein s-7 set which were repros of the EJ set
                          They were warm and with good mids and a little darker bridge pickup that feels in between ssl-1 and ssl-5 but closer to the SSL 1 and yes sounds very good driven

To me they can be a little smooth, I had them in an ash strat and often found myself engaging the no load tone control to get that extra bit back that I'm used to from like a5 scooped sounding pickups

Comment

I am digging the lace holy grails I installed a while ago.

They are not dead on single coil, but drive really well as a result.

I think the clapton midboost circuit influences my decision more though.

The holy grail bridge is the stand out in the set.

Comment

Soooo... I reinstalled the got dang blasted .022 you happy.

Hah

Hey, whatever works for you!

The lowest I've ever found useful for a tone cap is .015. Less than that and there just doesn't seem to be much point in using the tone control. Usually I find that a .022 or .033 is the sweet spot.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i have one guitar with a .01 tone cap and it works fine but obviously doesnt roll off much more than the highs. i usually like .015 or .022 as well.

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                                I am digging the lace holy grails I installed a while ago.

They are not dead on single coil, but drive really well as a result.

I think the clapton midboost circuit influences my decision more though.

The holy grail bridge is the stand out in the set.
                                the clapton circuit is actually two boosts, an always on preamp boost and the adjustable mid boost. cool circuit but it definitely changes things even with the mid boost off

Comment

Working...
                                X