banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite SSS combo in a strat or strat-like guitar?

Hot Rails (with a Series/Parallel switch) / Classic Stack / Classic Stack.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Lace Sensor Hot Gold or Rose Mariposa set.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        I'm really liking the SSL-2, SSL-2, Tappable SSL-6 combo I've got in my Charvel strat.
        I'm rocking that same set in a Charvel Model 1A:

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I know this is a Duncan forum but the Fralin Steel Pole 42s are pretty much THE killer single coils for a SSS Strat.
          I literally have not tried anything else that has as much girth and heft while still retaining virtually ALL of that spank and chime and quack and all that Stratty goodness.
          The adjustable pole pieces are a particularly useful feature for balancing your guitar.

Comment

I haven't tried a whole lot, but Fat 50s might be my top. Mostly for the neck tones though. The bridge isn't a great fit for most of what I play.

Comment

I really enjoy the APS-II in the neck and bridge of my strat with the 5-2 in the middle. I enjoy the warmer singles coils and the 5-2 really brightens it up in positions 2 and 4.

Comment

The APS set and Five Two 'fixes' the brightness that I don't like about most single coils.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Goes to show you - I couldn’t stand the relative dull-ness of an APS set, I prefer three SSLs by far. They also seem higher output than the APS set; that may be an illusion.
                  I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

i think its as much tonal difference, the aps sounded louder to me though my bf fender amps but the ssl sounded louder into tweeds.

one of my favorite sets, cause i could never just have one, is the antiquity II jaguar pups. neck in the neck position and two bridge position pups in the middle and bridge positions with a baseplate on the bridge pup. so like 6.5k neck, 6.6k middle and bridge. flat pole, alnico 5, #42 heavy formvar, vintage wind with a few less turns on the neck. its a fantastic set of vintage sounding pups and fits fine under strat pup covers

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      I'm rocking that same set in a Charvel Model 1A:

That's pretty sexy . . . but I like the fender style headstock over pointies. :P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I think I'm going to have to check out Rose pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          That's pretty sexy . . . but I like the fender style headstock over pointies. :P
                          I generally do too, but it's hard to argue at $150 (not including the pickups). They're also great guitars which may explain why I have 3 of them.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                            I’ve ordered a few sets of pickups from him, almost all with custom requests. Very excellent communication/pricing (and quality of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                              Ordered a set of Robusta/Butt Beauty 2-weeks ago. Waiting...

Comment

I'm currently running a calibrated set of SSL-5's. But, I'm thinking of switching out the neck and middle pickups with some Eric Johnson's.

Comment

Working...
                                X