Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on New Amp - Mesa

Good day,

I'm looking to replace my current amp with either of these Mesa amps mentioned below.

Fillmore 25
    Rectoverb 25

Basically, I want more versatility in the long run, more EQ control on the amp side and so forth. My current amp is a Blackstar Ht5r, which is still a fantastic amp, but I wanted something more versatile for the long-run. Kind of a buy once and never really need another amp again kinda thing.

They're not terribly expensive, both have channel controlled reverb and are pretty versatile, with the Rectoverb being slightly less expensive. I am also considering a Mini Rectifier 25, but it does not have reverb on it. Not a deal-breaker, but reverb would definitely be nice.

The style of music would mostly be blues and blues-rock, but if I want to venture out into more experimental music, it would have that capability.

I want mostly fenderish cleans and smooth overdrive, but have the ability to do more than those.

Especially if you've had both, which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks,
    GreatOz

Re: Deciding on New Amp - Mesa

the features are similar but they are voiced differently, best bet is to try them both. personally i like the fillmore but you might like the recto better

Comment

The Rectoverb probably sounds closer to your HT5R, while the Fillmore is likely more suitable for the styles you play. The Recto can do less gainy tones, but they're not its strong suit.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Never buy a small combo without Reverb. There is your decision.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Haven’t played the Fillmore, but I do own the Rectoverb 25. It’s a great amp - and covers a LOT of ground from clean to high-gain. Reverb is lush (and for what you want, I wouldn’t go for the mini-rec head, just for that fact alone). It’s a great all rounder. Cabinet and speaker have been tuned for the amp’s tone and just work.

Downsides are few. As with all Mesa amps, you have to pay attention to how the tone stack impacts gain - there’s a ton of flexibility, so there is always the risk of getting less enjoyable tones. But, once you are able to use the tone/gain in harmony, that flexibility really pays off.

One specific issue is the chrome knobs that come as standard - they look bright and shiny in pictures but it’s impossible to see what your settings are both close up and at distance. On a dark stage, it’s even worse. A poor practical design decision IMHO. I swapped them out for white knobs which work much, much better.

When my only complaint about an amp is it’s knobs, guess you can say it gets a thumbs up from me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Both have reverb, though, right?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes, both have reverb. I'm thinking more the head versions and not the combos though.

I'm leaning more towards the Fillmore 25 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                The absolute best small tube combo I have ever owned bar none is the tiny 20 watt 1/10 non Reverb Subway Rocket Boogie I own. Owned a later version with reverb for a while but it just wasn't the same this one just sounds better. Have a verb on the board I run it with that I run through the loop with a delay. This little amp flat sounds HUGE miced in the FOH!

Know you play heavier stuff so check out the tones of this little non verb 1/10 combo with nothing but a little verb in the loop at super low stage level.
                Last edited by Ascension; 11-05-2019, 08:58 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                  Yes, both have reverb. I'm thinking more the head versions and not the combos though.

I'm leaning more towards the Fillmore 25 anyway.
                  Played both at length when I was shopping amps before I bought my PRS MT 15. Both are nice amps but much different.
                  The Rec more the hard rocker to metal amp has a good clean but is more voiced on the crunch side for heavier stuff. It can get passable mid gain tones but is really suited more for higher gain hard rock to metal than lighter stuff.
                  The Fillmore is more suited to more vintage style tones. Cleans are bigger softer more Fender like and richer crunch side has gain can do nice fluid leads but has no where the gain that the rec has. The Fillmore is much more suited to bluesy mid gain tones to hard rock than it is to heavier stuff. GREAT amps both but have much different personalities.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 11-05-2019, 12:30 AM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Between those two choices?
                    Fillmore.

Given a slightly bigger budget?
                    Mark V 35, no question.

Comment

The Mark V 35 is outside the budget unfortunately.

I can't wait to get my hands on one to test though

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        The absolute best small tube combo I have ever owned bar none is the tiny 20 watt 1/10 non Reverb Subway Rocket Boogie I own. Owned a later version with reverb for a while but it just wasn't the same this one just sounds better. Have a verb on the board I run it with that I run through the loop with a delay. This little amp flat sounds HUGE miced in the FOH!

Know you play heavier stuff so check out the tones of this little non verb 1/10 combo with nothing but a little verb in the loop at super low stage level.
                        I feel bad, because I never saw you play guitar -I just watched the lady on the right dance -BUT your guitar sounded nice.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Blues and Blues Rock? Fillmore!

you want that vintage sound and feel for what your doing
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have all three of the Mark V amps, so for versatility alone I would push you that way.

But of the two you mentioned, I would go Fillmore. I do a really wide range of material with my band, a lot of cleans, to hard rock. I don't need heavy metal tones (though the Vs can really deliver them).

And for that matter, I wouldn't shy away from a used Mesa. Mark IIIs (get the fully-loaded version), Mark IVs, Classic or Special Lonestars, Express+, or even the DC Series will work for you...and perhaps save you some coin over a new amp.

Along with the three Mark V versions, I also have a Mark IV, three Mark IIIs, a DC-3 and a Maverick 212. But I really liked the Fillmore 25 and 50 I tried.

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                            X