X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my SSL5...for what ?

So.
    To make it short.

I have a SSS Strat....it came with SSL1/SSL5.

I really don't like the SSL5 at the bridge...it gives too much ''mids'' for my tastes...and i really feel the need for more''power'' when soloing....

Should i take a look on a full sized humbucker ?

Maybe what i really need...is a fuzz pedal ?

I've made the test..and put one SSL1 at the bridge...Classic Strat sound...but too much ''vintage''.

Thanks guys!

I play at a church...but no Worship tho...more pop/rock.

Re: Replacing my SSL5...for what ?

Classic Stack, Vintage Hot stack, any stacked pickup, or the quarter pounder. The stacked pickups typically have a slightly fatter sound that traditional single coils. The same goes for the quarter pounder. Listen to some demos on the SD website and on youtube.

Comment

Sounds like you'd want a humbucker
      I'd try out the 59. Scooped mids and more power.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

The Red Devil (single coil sized Pearly Gates) could be pretty good too. You can also EQ out some midrange if you need to. The humbuckers will get you the more power that you need.

Comment

you want less mids but more power... the classic stack plus bridge will have less mids but not more power than the ssl5. the vintage hot stack might be ok, little fatter and hotter than a ssl1 but not as fat as the ssl5. the qp has way more power than the ssl1 but if you dont like the ss5, you wont like the qp. the red devil will have the same issue as the qp, more power but both are thicker sounding than the ssl5.

you could try a cool rails bridge if you want a single coil size bucker or a 59 if you want a full size one. the 59n will have less mids than the 59b but the b will have more output.

Comment

I have the same set and didn't like the ssl-5. Too middy. I changed the volume pot to a 500k and brought in a 500k resistor in parallel for the Ssl-1 pickups. Great setup now.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Maybe look at a Little 59? The tone will have less mids but still have a good output.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i dont know if id agree the lil 59 has less mids than the ssl5, voiced quite differently though

Comment

I'd say the lil 59 is worth a shot also.

Comment

Get a fuzz and solo with your neck pickup. Don’t forget about using the middle pickup, either. I just saw Chris Duarte do a clinic, and he lived on the middle, going to the bridge or neck for a little more bite or a little more body. Was super effective.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

lots of 70's strat guys lived on the middle pup

Comment

Look at the chopper..not sure about mids though

Comment

The higher the resistance of a single-coil the more midrange presence it has. Humbuckers have two coils which have phase cancelation and more midrange presence.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                            Sounds like you'd want a humbucker
                            I'd try out the 59. Scooped mids and more power.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

* Update

I've just installed a 59'.

Will try live tonight..but i think it's not what i'm looking...let's see.

Also it's the normal version..it appears the Bass strings are misaligned.

"It's not the deffinitive pickguard also...was only for test purposes Click image for larger version

Name:	XsNl8nV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	5817771

Comment

What's wrong with the 59?
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X