Billy Duffy Wah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Duffy Wah?

Hey! Im sorry to readdress this.. I have previously posted a couple of times on it, but wanted to try one more time.. I have a Bad horsie wah, as one of my best buds swears by it. Was my first wah and I wasnt real excited with it as you cant leave it on. So, I got a Vox wah. (847 or whatever?) Was alil more to my liking.. Then I got a Cantrell wah. I seem to be digging it. BUT... There are so freaking many wah variations, I cant possible afford to try them all, and for some reason, Im really drawn to the Billy Duffy model based on the features and as stupid as it may sound, I dig the looks.. HOWEVER.. Again, funds are very limited these days and this wah is kinda pricey. And, they are alil hard to get ahold of and I def am NOT able to try one prior to purchase. So, I thought Id ask on more time if anyone has any experience with one and what you think or how it compares to one of the ones Ive used. ??
    Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

Is this for use with the Splawn?
    Reason I ask is that I have found my QR to be picky with buffers in wah pedals in particular. I’d suggest looking into one of the hardwire bypass wahs if this one is not (I believe that’s what Dunlop calls them).

Comment

Try an Ibanez Weeping Demon.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like ive heard alot of good things about the weeping demon.. IIRC, Aceman has one and digs it
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It has quite a range of control. Volume, Q shape, low pass and a top end trim pot. Plus you can change it from foot switchable to instant on. Oh and you can switch it between bass or guitar range.

Comment

If you want to be able the park the wah, the Duffy wah is auto return so you'll have to leave your foot on it for a constant cocked sound.

I have a Dime wah, Zakk Wylde wah, Cantrell wah and a 105Q Bass wah.

The Bass Crybaby sounds GREAT with guitar. It's my favorite. Although it's also a switchless auto return wah, it has a Q control dial like the Duffy and a boost level dial. It doesn't have a vintage mode like the Duffy though.

It's something I definitely suggest looking at over the harder to find Duffy wah.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Afaik all of the switchless wahs aren’t TB. Might not be a problem for some but they don’t work for my rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                Afaik all of the switchless wahs aren’t TB. Might not be a problem for some but they don’t work for my rig.
                The switchless ones are all buffered ASAIK, which is much better than the half hardwire bypass on the older Crybabies and Voxes (not sure if all the new ones are TB either). Which I was going to mention to Brian (BR), your Vox was is probably not full TB so it may be rolling off some highs when it is disengaged. Pretty easy to make those TB, I've done it to a few.

Comment

Billy Duffy Wah?

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  The switchless ones are all buffered ASAIK, which is much better than the half hardwire bypass on the older Crybabies and Voxes (not sure if all the new ones are TB either). Which I was going to mention to Brian (BR), your Vox was is probably not full TB so it may be rolling off some highs when it is disengaged. Pretty easy to make those TB, I've done it to a few.
                  I had the 95Q(?) switchless which is buffered but my Splawn didn’t like it. Works fine with my Blackstar though.

You can make them TB? I thought it wasn’t possible with the switchless.....inquiring minds.....what’s the secret? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    It has quite a range of control. Volume, Q shape, low pass and a top end trim pot. Plus you can change it from foot switchable to instant on. Oh and you can switch it between bass or guitar range.

Sounds pretty versatile. Im all about versatility as Im still trying to find "my thing"

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                    If you want to be able the park the wah, the Duffy wah is auto return so you'll have to leave your foot on it for a constant cocked sound.

I have a Dime wah, Zakk Wylde wah, Cantrell wah and a 105Q Bass wah.

The Bass Crybaby sounds GREAT with guitar. It's my favorite. Although it's also a switchless auto return wah, it has a Q control dial like the Duffy and a boost level dial. It doesn't have a vintage mode like the Duffy though.

It's something I definitely suggest looking at over the harder to find Duffy wah.
                    I like the looks and features of the Duffy, but cant play one. I didnt know you cant park it tho, so that may be VERY important in my decision making.. Thank you

How can you make it TB??

Alil Back story.. I dont have alot of wah experience. as most of you know, Im still pretty much a noob player. Anyhow, Wahs befuddle me.. There are SO many choices, with tiny differences. fasel vs... Q filter , slash, bonamassa, petrucci, blah blah blah...

Again, my first was a bad horsie as it was a pro player bud of mines favorite and recommendation.. I didnt like I couldnt leave it on. (still have it) Then I got the Vox as was recommended as having an nice traditional vibe. (still have it) Cant say why it didnt float my boat.. Just seemed kinda bright.. I rolled the pot around a bit to try and alter the sweep. Then I got the Cantrell as I like the lower freq. (I messed up my first one running over it with a car... DOH!!!) So, got another. and its currently on the board..
                    Again, Im just alil mind boggled by the tremendous amount of choices with each having tiny variations..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I’m currently using the Crybaby Classic with my Splawn. Love it. I just wish it had an LED so you can see when it is in and off. I suppose I could mod it to have one....someday. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        Sounds pretty versatile. Im all about versatility as Im still trying to find "my thing"

I like the looks and features of the Duffy, but cant play one. I didnt know you cant park it tho, so that may be VERY important in my decision making.. Thank you
                        You can't leave on/park any switchless wah, think about it...

How can you make it TB??

Here I show How I modify a Vox V847 Wah Pedal for true Bypass to prevent the pedal from affecting your tone when it is not engaged.This is the second Vox V84...

Alil Back story.. I dont have alot of wah experience. as most of you know, Im still pretty much a noob player. Anyhow, Wahs befuddle me.. There are SO many choices, with tiny differences. fasel vs... Q filter , slash, bonamassa, petrucci, blah blah blah...

Again, my first was a bad horsie as it was a pro player bud of mines favorite and recommendation.. I didnt like I couldnt leave it on. (still have it) Then I got the Vox as was recommended as having an nice traditional vibe. (still have it) Cant say why it didnt float my boat.. Just seemed kinda bright.. I rolled the pot around a bit to try and alter the sweep. Then I got the Cantrell as I like the lower freq. (I messed up my first one running over it with a car... DOH!!!) So, got another. and its currently on the board..
                        Again, Im just alil mind boggled by the tremendous amount of choices with each having tiny variations..
                        Yes, and they all do the same thing with some small differences.

I like this one - https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=killer%20wail too bad they don't make it anymore.

I’m currently using the Crybaby Classic with my Splawn. Love it. I just wish it had an LED so you can see when it is in and off. I suppose I could mod it to have one....someday. Lol
                        Yep, those are great too, glad they finally made them TB.

I had the 95Q(?) switchless which is buffered but my Splawn didn’t like it. Works fine with my Blackstar though.

You can make them TB? I thought it wasn’t possible with the switchless.....inquiring minds.....what’s the secret? Lol
                        Interesting that you didn't like the 95Q, but different amps and different buffers... I was talking about BR's Vox, not the Bad Horsie. You're right, not sure how to make a switchless one TB.
                        Last edited by devastone; 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

You can't leave on/park any switchless wah, think about it...

Here I show How I modify a Vox V847 Wah Pedal for true Bypass to prevent the pedal from affecting your tone when it is not engaged.This is the second Vox V84...

Yes, and they all do the same thing with some small differences.

I like this one - https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=killer%20wail too bad they don't make it anymore.

Yep, those are great too, glad they finally made them TB.

Interesting that you didn't like the 95Q, but different amps and different buffers... I was talking about BR's Vox, not the Bad Horsie. You're right, not sure how to make a switchless one TB.
                          I actually did like the wah...my amp didn’t. Lol. The switchless feature is super convenient but I suppose like anything else there are pluses and minuses.

Comment

I actually did like the wah...my amp didn’t. Lol. The switchless feature is super convenient but I suppose like anything else there are pluses and minuses.
                            I understand, guess I could have phrased that bettter. I'm not sure I've ever used a switchless wah, even the one on my GT-1K has a virtual switch so it works like a classic wah. Michael Schenker could never use a switchless one!
                            Last edited by devastone; 10-31-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Devastone, what is it about the wail that you like so much?

Also, thanks for the links!!!!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X