Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Billy Duffy Wah?

  1. #1
    Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,197

    Default Billy Duffy Wah?

    Hey! Im sorry to readdress this.. I have previously posted a couple of times on it, but wanted to try one more time.. I have a Bad horsie wah, as one of my best buds swears by it. Was my first wah and I wasnt real excited with it as you cant leave it on. So, I got a Vox wah. (847 or whatever?) Was alil more to my liking.. Then I got a Cantrell wah. I seem to be digging it. BUT... There are so freaking many wah variations, I cant possible afford to try them all, and for some reason, Im really drawn to the Billy Duffy model based on the features and as stupid as it may sound, I dig the looks.. HOWEVER.. Again, funds are very limited these days and this wah is kinda pricey. And, they are alil hard to get ahold of and I def am NOT able to try one prior to purchase. So, I thought Id ask on more time if anyone has any experience with one and what you think or how it compares to one of the ones Ive used. ??
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,000

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Is this for use with the Splawn?
    Reason I ask is that I have found my QR to be picky with buffers in wah pedals in particular. I’d suggest looking into one of the hardwire bypass wahs if this one is not (I believe that’s what Dunlop calls them).

  3. #3
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,819

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Try an Ibanez Weeping Demon.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,197

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Seems like ive heard alot of good things about the weeping demon.. IIRC, Aceman has one and digs it

  5. #5
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,819

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    It has quite a range of control. Volume, Q shape, low pass and a top end trim pot. Plus you can change it from foot switchable to instant on. Oh and you can switch it between bass or guitar range.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    METAL INDIGNATION!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    If you want to be able the park the wah, the Duffy wah is auto return so you'll have to leave your foot on it for a constant cocked sound.

    I have a Dime wah, Zakk Wylde wah, Cantrell wah and a 105Q Bass wah.

    The Bass Crybaby sounds GREAT with guitar. It's my favorite. Although it's also a switchless auto return wah, it has a Q control dial like the Duffy and a boost level dial. It doesn't have a vintage mode like the Duffy though.

    It's something I definitely suggest looking at over the harder to find Duffy wah.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••


  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,000

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Afaik all of the switchless wahs aren’t TB. Might not be a problem for some but they don’t work for my rig.

  8. #8
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,534

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Afaik all of the switchless wahs aren’t TB. Might not be a problem for some but they don’t work for my rig.
    The switchless ones are all buffered ASAIK, which is much better than the half hardwire bypass on the older Crybabies and Voxes (not sure if all the new ones are TB either). Which I was going to mention to Brian (BR), your Vox was is probably not full TB so it may be rolling off some highs when it is disengaged. Pretty easy to make those TB, I've done it to a few.

  9. #9
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,000

    Default Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The switchless ones are all buffered ASAIK, which is much better than the half hardwire bypass on the older Crybabies and Voxes (not sure if all the new ones are TB either). Which I was going to mention to Brian (BR), your Vox was is probably not full TB so it may be rolling off some highs when it is disengaged. Pretty easy to make those TB, I've done it to a few.
    I had the 95Q(?) switchless which is buffered but my Splawn didn’t like it. Works fine with my Blackstar though.

    You can make them TB? I thought it wasn’t possible with the switchless.....inquiring minds.....what’s the secret? Lol

  10. #10
    Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,197

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    It has quite a range of control. Volume, Q shape, low pass and a top end trim pot. Plus you can change it from foot switchable to instant on. Oh and you can switch it between bass or guitar range.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Sounds pretty versatile. Im all about versatility as Im still trying to find "my thing"

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
    If you want to be able the park the wah, the Duffy wah is auto return so you'll have to leave your foot on it for a constant cocked sound.

    I have a Dime wah, Zakk Wylde wah, Cantrell wah and a 105Q Bass wah.

    The Bass Crybaby sounds GREAT with guitar. It's my favorite. Although it's also a switchless auto return wah, it has a Q control dial like the Duffy and a boost level dial. It doesn't have a vintage mode like the Duffy though.

    It's something I definitely suggest looking at over the harder to find Duffy wah.
    I like the looks and features of the Duffy, but cant play one. I didnt know you cant park it tho, so that may be VERY important in my decision making.. Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The switchless ones are all buffered ASAIK, which is much better than the half hardwire bypass on the older Crybabies and Voxes (not sure if all the new ones are TB either). Which I was going to mention to Brian (BR), your Vox was is probably not full TB so it may be rolling off some highs when it is disengaged. Pretty easy to make those TB, I've done it to a few.
    How can you make it TB??

    Alil Back story.. I dont have alot of wah experience. as most of you know, Im still pretty much a noob player. Anyhow, Wahs befuddle me.. There are SO many choices, with tiny differences. fasel vs... Q filter , slash, bonamassa, petrucci, blah blah blah...

    Again, my first was a bad horsie as it was a pro player bud of mines favorite and recommendation.. I didnt like I couldnt leave it on. (still have it) Then I got the Vox as was recommended as having an nice traditional vibe. (still have it) Cant say why it didnt float my boat.. Just seemed kinda bright.. I rolled the pot around a bit to try and alter the sweep. Then I got the Cantrell as I like the lower freq. (I messed up my first one running over it with a car... DOH!!!) So, got another. and its currently on the board..
    Again, Im just alil mind boggled by the tremendous amount of choices with each having tiny variations..

  11. #11
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,000

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    I’m currently using the Crybaby Classic with my Splawn. Love it. I just wish it had an LED so you can see when it is in and off. I suppose I could mod it to have one....someday. Lol

  12. #12
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,534

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Sounds pretty versatile. Im all about versatility as Im still trying to find "my thing"



    I like the looks and features of the Duffy, but cant play one. I didnt know you cant park it tho, so that may be VERY important in my decision making.. Thank you
    You can't leave on/park any switchless wah, think about it...


    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    How can you make it TB??
    https://dandyjob.com/true-bypass-mods-instruction/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3BFA0EwCZg


    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Alil Back story.. I dont have alot of wah experience. as most of you know, Im still pretty much a noob player. Anyhow, Wahs befuddle me.. There are SO many choices, with tiny differences. fasel vs... Q filter , slash, bonamassa, petrucci, blah blah blah...

    Again, my first was a bad horsie as it was a pro player bud of mines favorite and recommendation.. I didnt like I couldnt leave it on. (still have it) Then I got the Vox as was recommended as having an nice traditional vibe. (still have it) Cant say why it didnt float my boat.. Just seemed kinda bright.. I rolled the pot around a bit to try and alter the sweep. Then I got the Cantrell as I like the lower freq. (I messed up my first one running over it with a car... DOH!!!) So, got another. and its currently on the board..
    Again, Im just alil mind boggled by the tremendous amount of choices with each having tiny variations..
    Yes, and they all do the same thing with some small differences.

    I like this one - https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=killer%20wail too bad they don't make it anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I’m currently using the Crybaby Classic with my Splawn. Love it. I just wish it had an LED so you can see when it is in and off. I suppose I could mod it to have one....someday. Lol
    Yep, those are great too, glad they finally made them TB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I had the 95Q(?) switchless which is buffered but my Splawn didn’t like it. Works fine with my Blackstar though.

    You can make them TB? I thought it wasn’t possible with the switchless.....inquiring minds.....what’s the secret? Lol
    Interesting that you didn't like the 95Q, but different amps and different buffers... I was talking about BR's Vox, not the Bad Horsie. You're right, not sure how to make a switchless one TB.
    Last edited by devastone; 10-31-2019 at 12:38 PM.

  13. #13
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,000

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    You can't leave on/park any switchless wah, think about it...



    https://dandyjob.com/true-bypass-mods-instruction/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3BFA0EwCZg




    Yes, and they all do the same thing with some small differences.

    I like this one - https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=killer%20wail too bad they don't make it anymore.



    Yep, those are great too, glad they finally made them TB.



    Interesting that you didn't like the 95Q, but different amps and different buffers... I was talking about BR's Vox, not the Bad Horsie. You're right, not sure how to make a switchless one TB.
    I actually did like the wah...my amp didn’t. Lol. The switchless feature is super convenient but I suppose like anything else there are pluses and minuses.

  14. #14
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,534

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I actually did like the wah...my amp didn’t. Lol. The switchless feature is super convenient but I suppose like anything else there are pluses and minuses.
    I understand, guess I could have phrased that bettter. I'm not sure I've ever used a switchless wah, even the one on my GT-1K has a virtual switch so it works like a classic wah. Michael Schenker could never use a switchless one!
    Last edited by devastone; 10-31-2019 at 03:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,197

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Devastone, what is it about the wail that you like so much?

    Also, thanks for the links!!!!

  16. #16
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,534

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Devastone, what is it about the wail that you like so much?

    Also, thanks for the links!!!!
    It's been a while since I used one, but it's got a nice form factor and is solid, 3 mode settings, sounds really good, it just worked really well for me. Granted, I'm not a huge wah user, definitely more "rock" stuff than wacka, wacka funk.

    FWIW, I think I have a crybaby classic and a few other pedals around here somewhere, but I usually just use my GT for everything.

  17. #17
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    4,204

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Billy Duffy Wah

    .... the f**k?

    That's literally the exact thing I said out loud in 1987 when Billy premiered his new Glam rock look that even rivaled Steve Stephen's hair in total body and sheer girth
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,534

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Billy Duffy Wah

    .... the f**k?

    That's literally the exact thing I said out loud in 1987 when Billy premiered his new Glam rock look that even rivaled Steve Stephen's hair in total body and sheer girth
    I don't care what his hair looks like, and not sure why he got a signature wah, not exactly the sound he was known for, but still, THE CULT FREAKIN' ROCKS! And the cover of Sonic Temple proves that a black LPC is the baddest looking guitar on the planet.

  19. #19
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    4,204

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    I don't care what his hair looks like, and not sure why he got a signature wah, not exactly the sound he was known for, but still, THE CULT FREAKIN' ROCKS! And the cover of Sonic Temple proves that a black LPC is the baddest looking guitar on the planet.
    I love Billy Duffy BTW.

    I love Gothic Billy, New Wave Billy, Hard Rock Billy, Metal Billy, and post modern Billy.

    every Billy is a good one on guitar.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  20. #20
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    17,109

    Default Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

    Have you guys seen the “Pursuit of Tone” with Billy?



    Billy Duffy and Mike Ness both had more influence on my playing than I initially realized.

    EDIT -
    Thanks for the link correction a Devastone!

    Lots of Boss pedals with a few *special* things and some great amps/guitars.
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 11-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •