Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    oh yeah.... Awesomeness! Ironically, I associate him with that black lp cuz of that album cover, but IIRC he seemed to be mostly associated with the bare lp.(sanded?) and of course now, Gretsch guits
    Oh yeah, the bare sanded LP was because he is a Mick Ronson fan, I did know that before watching that interview.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Oh yeah, the bare sanded LP was because he is a Mick Ronson fan, I did know that before watching that interview.
      Billy Duffy and Johnny Marr (old Manchester bros) played onstage together last weekend.

Would have been cool to see.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        Billy Duffy and Johnny Marr (old Manchester bros) played onstage together last weekend.

Would have been cool to see.
        I saw it on utube the other day.

Sorry BR, this has turned into a Billy Duffy appreciation thread... I'm sure the wah is awesome if you want switchless.

Comment

I really enjoyed that, thanks PFdarkside and Devastone.

I probably got more out of that (cathartically speaking) than most -as I've explained before, as I didn't grow up knowing classic or hard rock until maybe 8th grade. I grew up on Jazz and the Carpenters until about 5 and then my babysitter got me into punk, new wave, gothic, and metal -

So the Cult's "Love" was something I was into BEFORE I ever heard Jimi Hendrix, Zepplin etc... I had to discover most stuff from the 60s and 70s in reverse order as a teenager.
          I have been pondering this in the back of my mind ever since I read it. I had the exact opposite experience: I grew up hearing classic rock EVERYWHERE, surrounded by kids with feathered hair and jacked-up Trans Ams who wore Aerosmith and Led Zepplin t-shirts, etc. and then I found punk and new wave and goth and it was like being saved. I LOVED the album LOVE. Then the next one came out and...I felt like The Cult had totally let me down. I like Love Removal Machine NOW, but at the time I could not understand why they had "switched sides" and decided to sound like an AC/DC cover band. Don't get me wrong, I liked AC/DC but I didn't want The Cult to try to BE AC/DC, you know what I mean?

Eh, whatever. No idea why I feel compelled to share this. Still a huge Billy fan, still NOT an Ian fan. The live clip just reinforces that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            I have been pondering this in the back of my mind ever since I read it. I had the exact opposite experience: I grew up hearing classic rock EVERYWHERE, surrounded by kids with feathered hair and jacked-up Trans Ams who wore Aerosmith and Led Zepplin t-shirts, etc. and then I found punk and new wave and goth and it was like being saved. I LOVED the album LOVE. Then the next one came out and...I felt like The Cult had totally let me down. I like Love Removal Machine NOW, but at the time I could not understand why they had "switched sides" and decided to sound like an AC/DC cover band. Don't get me wrong, I liked AC/DC but I didn't want The Cult to try to BE AC/DC, you know what I mean?

Eh, whatever. No idea why I feel compelled to share this. Still a huge Billy fan, still NOT an Ian fan. The live clip just reinforces that.
            yeah, I was similar in that I loved "Love", liked "Electric" for an ACDC style rock album BUT NOT as Cult record -and hated "Sonic Temple" maybe more because Ian had become so insufferable and it was sort of coat tailing the end of the Glam Rock era and embarrassed to say have never heard "Ceremony".

Now that I think about it, maybe Cult Electric started me on my Classic Rock retro discovery.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

yeah, I was similar in that I loved "Love", liked "Electric" for an ACDC style rock album BUT NOT as Cult record -and hated "Sonic Temple" maybe more because Ian had become so insufferable and it was sort of coat tailing the end of the Glam Rock era and embarrassed to say have never heard "Ceremony".

Now that I think about it, maybe Cult Electric started me on my Classic Rock retro discovery.
              Ha! Funny because Sonic was my intro to the Cult. I liked it enough but never loved it. And I never really sought out their other material either so....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                Ha! Funny because Sonic was my intro to the Cult. I liked it enough but never loved it. And I never really sought out their other material either so....
                Weird! I don't think Sonic Temple was bad BTW -I just didn't like all the **** Ian was saying in the media in that period -so it wore on me and made me hate on it when it came out for little good reason.

Whats your opinion of Ceremony?

Comment

Weird! I don't think Sonic Temple was bad BTW -I just didn't like all the **** Ian was saying in the media in that period -so it wore on me and made me hate on it when it came out for little good reason.

Whats your opinion of Ceremony?
                  I’ve only listened to the first 4 songs or so but I’m really digging it so far....already I hear a lot of wah going on.
                  His tone is good... very good. A bit chorus-y but hey, that’s what they were doing then.
                  I’ve got to admit, I really want to dig into their catalog more now....thank you. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    I’ve only listened to the first 4 songs or so but I’m really digging it so far....already I hear a lot of wah going on.
                    His tone is good... very good. A bit chorus-y but hey, that’s what they were doing then.
                    I’ve got to admit, I really want to dig into their catalog more now....thank you. [emoji16]
                    Well, Electric is probably the greatest in your face ACDC style record that's not by ACDC.

And Love is the most Lush Chorusy and beautiful dramatic new wavy groove hard rock record -but not in your face at all -it's gothicy too.

Comment

I have all the mentioned albums, and the other studio albums except for Hidden City which apparently came out in 2016 but I haven't heard anything about, but I'll definitely check out now that I kn ow about it.

I saw them at the Paramount in Denver around 2002-ish(?), don't remember exactly, I think they were touring on Beyond Good and Evil which was The Cult doing 90s drop D stuff, another good "rock" disc, I think Love was their last "gothic" release. FWIW, I loved Sonic Temple, but wasn't paying attention to anything they were saying in the media around then, so I didn't have a tarnished view of it I guess.

Comment

I also liked Sonic Temple - it has the hard rock of Electric but brought back the complex guitar lines from Love IMO. I was also unaware of what either of them were saying to press at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          I also liked Sonic Temple - it has the hard rock of Electric but brought back the complex guitar lines from Love IMO. I was also unaware of what either of them were saying to press at the time.
                          To be clear, it was just Ian talking, they got quiet cocky, brass, and ugly (but not in an endearing fashion -or at least Ian couldn't pull off that balance) about making it in the Americas and said many things that sort of alienated their long existing fan base in dramatic fashion and everything came crashing down within 2-3 years once their core had eroded.

During their 99-00 reunion tour, Ian was thanking everyone to the point of tears in dramatic fashion because he realized that he need the fans -it was cool.

Comment

I can see that, I just didn't hear it at the time so it never really swayed me. He has always had an interesting fashion sense though from goth to 80s rock star, and on the Beyond Good and Evil tour, LA gangbanger(?). Great show, saw this tour in Denver, Matt Sorum on drums, Billy Morrison on bass and background vocals, Mike Dimkich (? 2nd guitar), and of course Ian and Billy, just didn't get Ian's fashion statement.

And yes, watching this, Billy does use quite a bit of wah.

Comment

2nd guitar audition: "Can you play in the dark?" "Yeah." "You're hired."
                              There is never any light on that guy! And the camera only shows him by accident.

Comment

He was just hired to play the 2nd guitar parts for the tour, and not as much of an entertainer (or name) as Morrison, so, of course he's not going to get camera time.

Comment

Working...
                                X