banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an issue with my amp, or normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an issue with my amp, or normal?

Hi,

I recently purchased a used 50W EVH III EL34 tube amp from my local music store. It's pretty much mint condition, was made earlier this year by SN.

Had something weird happen though. I happened to turn the amp on and usually I put it in standby for a few minutes but I re-read the manual and it didn't mention you had to do that with this amp so I figured oh ok I just won't go crazy when I first turn it on.

But anyway, the first time I did this (Turn the power on and then right after turn it off standby into power mode) I didn't get any sound out of the amp for like 5-10 seconds. Is this normal? Or could this indicate an issue? Everything was hooked up (volume was at like 2) and I didn't hear anything until 5-10 seconds of strumming? Just wondering if I should be concerned.

Thanks,

Re: Is this an issue with my amp, or normal?

Nope, you shouldn't be concerned if that's all it is. You don't normally get a signal on a tube Amp for a few seconds. Think of the current like water flow...it takes a few seconds for the water to flow through pipes unless there's already built up pressure.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aiaosu View Post
      Nope, you shouldn't be concerned if that's all it is. You don't normally get a signal on a tube Amp for a few seconds. Think of the current like water flow...it takes a few seconds for the water to flow through pipes unless there's already built up pressure.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Comment

Standby is good for heating up the filaments. I usually let my Amp warm up before playing. Once it's warm, I don't use the standby anymore. I just turn my guitar volume down until I'm ready to play again.

Comment

Here's something on heating up tubes:

Comment

That time you have to wait for the sound is the magic happening inside the tubes

It takes about 5-15 seconds to conjure the magic.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by aiaosu View Post

Yes the current has to flow, but electrons are much faster than water, think speed of light, they are there instantaneously for all intent. The delay is the tubes coming up to temperature so they can conduct, that what the standby switch is for, it turns on the heaters, then when you take it off standby it turns on the high voltage lines which is what makes the amplification happen.

Comment

I've always considered that the the 2nd best 10 seconds of my life.

Comment

The filament or cathode in the tubes must heat up to over 1000 degrees before sufficient electrons are released to begin flowing current, hence the phrase “thermionic emission”. That process takes a few seconds after turning on the power initially. The slower the heating up process before producing a signal, the longer the tube life will be.

Comment

If you have just about any small amp with no standby you experience this whenever you play.
                    Originally posted by King Buzzo
                    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                    X