banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternatives?

Hi all, as stated in the subject, I really like so much the Telecaster tones but I can't stand to play "flat plank" body guitars. In the past I owned a Tele clone and a Les Paul clone, but in the end I sold them. I get really uncomfortable at the forearm and in the long term I tend to not like the guitar. I really need belly and arm contours to feel comfortable.

And I am not the only one

The problem is that when I hear someone playing great Tele tones makes me want so much to have it!

I was looking at sites like Warmoth (and similar), but building a custom Tele type guitar in the end costs like getting a used Tele and modify the body, but I really don't have time and wish (and tools) to do that much woodwork.

I even thought about installing Tele pickups on a Strat body... but that's too "feels strange", anyone did that before?

Now I am looking at other T-style guitars, but most of them I can't even try at a shop because they are quite rare or not available at local shops. If I get one of them I have to buy online and eventually return it back but I don't feel it is a right thing to do.

What do you think is the best T-style guitar with belly and arm contour between these?

- Reverend Trickshot
    - Schecter PT Special
    - Chapman ML3 Traditional (but this has anyway a sharp edge on the arm)
    - Blade Dayton Standard

I really like G&L too but no arm contour too...

Other suggestions? Budget under $800-900 or less. It doesen't have to be a Tele style body, I focus on the tones mainly, both neck and bridge.

Or should I just deal with it and get used to the discomfort?

Re: Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternative

Just to complicate it, G&L does have special option codes for the cuts May be possible to find used for a reasonable price:

Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Re: Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternative

get one of those contoured offset Tele bodies.... it's like a Jazzmaster and Tele had a baby -super badass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-31 14.57.18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	5817476
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
        Just to complicate it, G&L does have special option codes for the cuts
        Wow that's great news :o
        I'll have to check these out!

Comment

belly cut and forearm contour are great if you want a tele but cant take the unforgiving body shape. g&l makes a good tele too! the offset body with tele appointments is another option as mentioned

Comment

Yamaha Pacifica Telecaters have belly cuts.

Comment

Chapman ML3. If it doesn't sound tele enough for you put in some more traditional pickups. Plus guitar center carries these now so you can go try it out first. I really like the ones that I have tried out they sound and play great.

Comment

the ml3 pro played great, didnt plug it in though

Comment

Chapmans look like a ton of guitar for the money.

Sandpaper is pretty cheap too, though.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I always go for a tele body with contours if possible.

Comment

Or get a nice G&L
                      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

If you have budget for Reverend, go for it. They are fantastic quality and, for me, the best value at their price point. The Trickshot body shape is their T-type, so it hangs same on strap, etc. but the contours are just in the right place.

Also, added bonus, they have the Bass Contour, which adds to the ability to twang when necessary (I know G&L used to have similar circuit, though don’t know if it’s on current spec guitars?)

All in all, I have to say that you can’t got wrong with a Rev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the Schecter PT Special.

This one has some tricks under its sleeve!Follow along as I do a full walk-through and tone test on this amazing Schecter PT!If you enjoyed this video, be su...

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                            I know G&L used to have similar circuit, though don’t know if it’s on current spec guitars?
                            G&L offers the PTB circuit on a bunch of their models, but I don't think I've ever seen an ASAT with a PTB. It comes stock on the Doheny and most Legacys AFAIK.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Those are fairly common mods to a Tele. Jeff Beck's Esquire is famous for this mod.

You can also use a thinner slab, like a Musicmaster, Duo-Sonic, or Mustang...and/or you can use a larger roundover bit on the body.

Personally, I don't get it. I've never had a significant comfort problem playing any guitar. But whatever floats yer boat.
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-31-2019, 08:48 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X