banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternative

The best Teles sound like Les Pauls and the best Les Pauls sound like Teles
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternatives?

Bacon has no place on a donut.
      I want to join the random thoughts that are going on here. I love a tele sound with or without humbuckers, I have on or more of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by jimilee; 11-06-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Absolutely love Telecaster tones but can't stand the flat plank body. Alternative

Originally posted by TrutheYashikawa View Post
        I'm also selling my Ibanez S-series 520 for £300 with a hard case!

You could replace the pickups, it is a fantastic guitar, i absolutely love the small body, they are light and have a fantastic neck for smooth playing!

I can probably do you that for £285 free delivery!
        Your sales pitch is very classy. But the only way to elicit that twangy tele tone is by a guitar with tele shape and tele pickups. Believe it or not I get that twang even when it's unplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by jimilee View Post
          Bacon has no place on a donut.
          Wrong

Bacon goes with everything
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
            Wrong

Bacon goes with everything
            I tried it with chocolate ice cream

Them two got in my belly and went round n round
            They didn't like each other at all
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

$99.00 Solution?

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

What about this? Do you have any experience with Cort? It looks nice and it is like $400 in online shops.

They say it's designed in collaboration with Hugh Manson Guitar Works (R)

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/...ge=1#tab_Video

Comment

If you feel like treating yourself and spending extra the more recent runs of the american made Fender Teles have been putting on belly carves and i think arm carves not sure with the classic fender look. But if you want the kind of radiohead tele like in the picture that might be slightly harder because if i'm corect that was a limited run from the late 80s to mid 90s that literally because the radiohead guy had one made the prices skyrocket. also had a special bridge where it had a hard tail strat style bridge and a special made mounting plate about a quarter inch away with special lace sensor pickups and his had the togle switch replaces with a button style kill switch. If you do want that radio head style guitar the Fender Player Tele (about 600+ USD NEW) has a similar bridge set up so extra routing is not needed and similar tele plates are fairly easy to find. If you just want a well made tele style chapman is a great bet and if you don't like the stock hardware they are basically designed to be modded should you feel like doing so. But my honest personal reccomendation is buy a used mexican tele and just pay a little extra to have some one sand the carves in. Because A. If you buy a new one first owner never gets what they want selling it. And B. People would get less infuriated if you should decide to super mod it and have a super modded used MIM as opposed to a mega moded MIA or other brand like G&L whre modding G&L guitars is almost like a sin because of how they became such a cult classic because it's Leo Fenders last work. And also just buying used mid priced guitars alwaysis alot cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by maup View Post
                    What about this? Do you have any experience with Cort? It looks nice and it is like $400 in online shops.

They say it's designed in collaboration with Hugh Manson Guitar Works (R)
                    It plays well. You need to replace the pickups though, IMO. Not as brilliant as classic tele sound.
                    And there's also Ibanez Talman:

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                      And there's also Ibanez Talman:

Wow that Ibanez is really cool!! Actually I saw this guitar on a few YouTube videos but I could not find any information on the Ibanez official web site. Is it a discontinued model? Thank you for giving me the name so I can search for some used ones.
                      About the pickups, I am anyway thinking to go for noiseless solution so I would anyway change them.

Comment

You're welcome. Yeah, unfortunately the model only lasted for two years, 2016 - 2018. I believe you can still find one easily.

Comment

My 1978 Tele has a belly cut because it is a Deluxe...

a pity actually : I loose a few grams of alder in the body and its large headstock is too heavy.
                          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                            You're welcome. Yeah, unfortunately the model only lasted for two years, 2016 - 2018. I believe you can still find one easily.
                            I found some of them for around €450 but in "sparkling" blue or red which I don't like very much.
                            Then later I tried to find more on line and I found one NEW tri fade sunburst on reverb.com for €299+10 for shipping in my country, wow! I got it with no hesitation and can't wait to receive it!
                            Thanks again for the recommendation!

Comment

I hope you love it! I always thought they were cool (they were a model back in the 1980s or early '90s - the new ones were throwbacks to those).

Comment

Originally posted by maup View Post
                                I found some of them for around €450 but in "sparkling" blue or red which I don't like very much.
                                Then later I tried to find more on line and I found one NEW tri fade sunburst on reverb.com for €299+10 for shipping in my country, wow! I got it with no hesitation and can't wait to receive it!
                                Thanks again for the recommendation!

Wow!!! But you need a tortoise pickguard (old joke from Talkbass.com)

Comment

Working...
                                X