New Tubes For Old Gibson Amp Needed~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tubes For Old Gibson Amp Needed~~

Hi all~~ I'm going to need tubes for my new, 1953 Gibson GA40 T combo, it's been ages since I've needed octals. I'm not at all concerned about period correct metal 6SJ & 6SN7's, or coke bottle 5V or 5U4 rect. I want strong, reliable & quiet. Glass or Metal? Without furthur breaking an already broken piggy bank, where's the place to go for these oddball octals? I'll just go EH or JJ for the 3 6V6's, one for the tremolo, but the others I'm just not in the loop.

Thanks for everyone sharing your expertise. ��
    Last edited by zozoe; 11-02-2019, 08:48 PM.

New Tubes For Old Gibson Amp Needed~~

I always use tube depot. Never had an issue with any products and they ship fast.

Edit:this is assuming you are in the US.

Comment

Re: New Tubes For Old Gibson Amp Needed~~

Personally I like to get all my tubes from Viva Tubes in Massachusetts but I live in NH so it as much for the fast shipping as anything else? They also have a great selection of NOS & vintage valves so it might be a good place to find your octals???

TubeDepot, Amplifiedparts, Etc., are all great options too!
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Never use metal housed tubes. They are not save. Together with a 2 prong power lead they could be lethal.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
          Personally I like to get all my tubes from Viva Tubes in Massachusetts but I live in NH so it as much for the fast shipping as anything else? They also have a great selection of NOS & vintage valves so it might be a good place to find your octals???

TubeDepot, Amplifiedparts, Etc., are all great options too!
          Where in Mass are they? ( I’m in RI)

Comment

Viva Tubes is located in Easthampton, Massachusetts....

Also metal octal tubes are perfectly safe to use as long as the rest of the amplifier is....

I’m going to go ahead and guess that you wouldn’t be running it with the original two prong cord anyway so you should be all set & you can buy new production glass ones if you so choose. It’s just the old 30’s & 40’s metal octal valves are readily available in the US & they are reasonably cheap in comparison?
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Unbeatable prices on thousands of guaranteed vacuum tubes for sale, vintage NOS hi-fi audio tubes, radio tubes, ham and industrial ready to ship. The only NOS valve dealer with a real webstore. We carry everything from NOS RCA 6L6GC black plates to JJ 12AX7s. We carry brands like Western Electric, Mullard, Telefunken, Sovtek, JJ, Electro-Harmonix, Genalex and Tung-Sol.

nothing wrong with metal tubes, best sounding 6V6 tube I have for my Champ is a 1944 metal RCA

Comment

Working...
              X