Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acoustic Amp

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, then I've heard dozens of people who don't know how to set them up make them sound terrible. To me, it is always the Bose-branded ones that sound bad...and they are crazy expensive, too.
    ha.. well, certainly possible that the Bose isn't that great... I just googled Column PA system and grabbed pics irrespective of the manufacturer..

Forgot to mention Yamaha makes one too.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Fishman SA "stick" system is amazing. I have a first gen model but don't use it too often as it's a bit overkill for most of the small gigs I play. But the newer systems have a sub and expandable mixer inputs.

Comment

I've been using EV powered speakers, and an iPad-powered digital mixer which is smaller than a shoebox. I actually do the mixing on an iPad, and the software has a ton of effects. Sounds huge and clear.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've been using EV powered speakers, and an iPad-powered digital mixer which is smaller than a shoebox. I actually do the mixing on an iPad, and the software has a ton of effects. Sounds huge and clear.
          Cool, where and whats the interface conversion from A to D? is it the EV analog I/O being controlled by the IPAD or does the IPAD have a dongle or interface to get and give signals?
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            Cool, where and whats the interface conversion from A to D? is it the EV analog I/O being controlled by the IPAD or does the IPAD have a dongle or interface to get and give signals?
            The actual mixer is analog, and goes to a stage box. You control it over wi-fi. So the mixing itself is digital, but the signals stay analog.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The actual mixer is analog, and goes to a stage box. You control it over wi-fi. So the mixing itself is digital, but the signals stay analog.
              Ok, that's makes sense, that's the way pretty much everyone is doing it -I wanted to make sure you didn't have a newer modern version of a Digigram card style in a dongle on your IPAD.

That's coming but not in the market yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                I like the simplicity of an acoustic amp. I use the little brother of the Boss unit linked below. (you mentioned possible karaoke use so you'd benefit from the larger speaker and extra power)

With this you get a perfect suite of FX for guitar and vocal, feedback suppression and phantom power for the mic, aux in, direct outs should you need to interface with a large rig. All of it works with just three cables: power, guitar and mic.
                Thank you that's some good advice!!!

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                    One other feature I like about the powered 12" PA speaker is that it is modular and thus expandable. Get one speaker and a pole. Add a second guitarist and start playing in bigger rooms...add a second speaker. Start using a drum machine...add a sub. Add a bass player and a drummer...now you need another sub and a bigger mixer...and bigger mains. Buy a set of 15" powered mains, and your 12" powered speakers become your monitors.

Modular. Portable. Expandable. And alway buy a mixer with more inputs than you think you will ever need.

Bill
                    (The voice of experience)
                    Thanks Boogle ... great advice!

Comment

Ha ha ha.... I sure hope that I do look better than that poor dude!!!!!
                      You have supplied the answer of the day for me as that could be what I need. The reason that I was looking at the Laney AH80 is that the Laney has 3 inputs of which one is specifically for a mike, plus it is very compatible with most electronic instruments ( so that guests could come and join in) and with 80watts it will be more than powerful enough. It can also be mounted on a pole to elevate the sound as well as being able to be tilted... as for all the other techno jargon I have no idea what you are talking about DOH!!! and am just looking for a amp that I can add chorus, reverb and some other simple effects...I'm not that techno bright as you have most probably gathered ha ha ha

I hate the idea of prostituting myself with Karaoke, but hey if that is what the client wants.....

Comment

Thank you Ehdwuld

Comment

Hi people.
                          This is what I've found so far and what I was basing my original question on:
                          Review of the Laney A1 Acoustic Vocal Combo Amp. Read the Full review: http://bit.ly/LaneyAmp_Review"The original A1 acoustic/vocal combo was one of Laney’s ...

Comment

Any small acoustic pedal will add the effects you want. Heck - get your three favorite pedals. But yeah - that Laney does sound like it would work.

I have a small Crate CA30 like that - and have and would use it, but only for the smallest of gigs.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rinkhals01 View Post
                              Ha ha ha.... I sure hope that I do look better than that poor dude!!!!!
                              You have supplied the answer of the day for me as that could be what I need. The reason that I was looking at the Laney AH80 is that the Laney has 3 inputs of which one is specifically for a mike, plus it is very compatible with most electronic instruments ( so that guests could come and join in) and with 80watts it will be more than powerful enough. It can also be mounted on a pole to elevate the sound as well as being able to be tilted... as for all the other techno jargon I have no idea what you are talking about DOH!!! and am just looking for a amp that I can add chorus, reverb and some other simple effects...I'm not that techno bright as you have most probably gathered ha ha ha

I hate the idea of prostituting myself with Karaoke, but hey if that is what the client wants.....
                              I have a Laney GC80A that I used as a dual input sing along amp
                              Had to get a mic cable with a 1/4 inch adapter

It works
                              Not ideal
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Rinkhals01 View Post
                                Hi people.
                                This is what I've found so far and what I was basing my original question on:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoKsoO8Y8g
                                Interesting looking little amp.
                                I think my biggest concern with that model would be the lack of separate DSP functions for the channels.
                                As a guy who has in fact done exactly what you intend to do (small solo acoustic gigs) and who has some experience with S/S acoustic amps I suspect you may discover you want a small amount of reverb but no chorus on your vocals and a small amount of chorus but no reverb on your guitar.

That's what I found worked best for me anyway.
                                That amp would require me to compromise.

I have checked prices in NZ in the past and you guys really get hosed down there.
                                It's almost like there is a 50% surcharge on everything.
                                I realize you may not have access to the same quantity of used gear in your market but if you can find a (now discontinued) Genz Benz Shenandoah amp You should take a look at it.
                                I have the Shen Pro Light and it is a serious piece of gear and still only weighs about 10kg or so.
                                It's powerful enough for any gig I could imagine and what sold me on it was how very strongly it rejected feeding back, something that can be a real problem playing amplified acoustic gigs.

In any event, good luck with your search.

Comment

Working...
                                X