Clear All

Re: Acoustic Amp

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I have a Laney GC80A that I used as a dual input sing along amp
    Had to get a mic cable with a 1/4 inch adapter

It works
    Not ideal
    Thank you for replying to me.
    Just a quick question, why was the amp not ideal for an acoustic/ singing player like me?

Comment

Hi Aceman. I do have effects pedals that I am presently using with a 20w Peavey amp and it does sound really good with all my guitars that I will use for gigging, but it is a bit on the small side and no microphone input. When I did feed a mike through it the sound was not good as it was also going in the same input jack as the guitar.....hence I wanted a designated mike input on an amplifier.

Comment

My point is that you can use any pedals you want with a small mixer...
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My advice i to find a shop that has several if you can and try them side by side. May get surprised a for myself was looking at the Fishman Loudbox until I had one side by side with a new Fender 100 watt unit that I thought to my ear absolutely killed the Fishman and at 1/2 the price!! Just fuller meatier and more pleasing to my ear side by side. Others may not agree but for me was a huge difference and the fender had the tones I was looking for. The powered speaker and a small board is also a verry good suggestion depending on your needs. Would look for one with a balanced direct out as can also make for a good on stage monitor for your guitar and sound great through the system I like these little amps as a super portable small PA for meetings also.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I never like the same effects on my vocals as my guitar. I never use chorus on my voice, and will often use an echo on the vocal and reverb on the guitar, or reverb on the vocal and delay on the guitar. Or Delay + Chorus on the guitar, but Reverb on the vocal...

Thus a little TC Mic Mechanic + a Zoom A2 Acoustic pedal = Guitar/Vocal Nirvana. Into a 5 channel mixer and then a Powered speaker. Or two.

All kinds of people make awesome little acoustic rigs; Zoom, Tech 21 FlyRig Acoustic, Fishman on the higher end. even a little Boss AD-3 or AD-5. You can make about any acoustic sound like an epic Martin with those things....
            Last edited by Aceman; 11-10-2019, 09:21 PM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A pedal + mixer setup will grow with you, even as you add more musicians and effects.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                A pedal + mixer setup will grow with you, even as you add more musicians and effects.
                Hi Mincer.
                Thank you for your answer but please excuse my ignorance as stated I am a techno-dinosaur, so do you mean that I could run a guitar and vocals via a mixer through the same amp input without any sound loss?

Comment

That's exactly what the mixer is for. It gathers all your guitars, mics, etc and is then used to set a pleasing balance of all the sounds. This all gets sent to an single output to drive an amplifier which of course drives the speaker(s)

Comment

Originally posted by Rinkhals01 View Post
                    Hi Mincer.
                    Thank you for your answer but please excuse my ignorance as stated I am a techno-dinosaur, so do you mean that I could run a guitar and vocals via a mixer through the same amp input without any sound loss?
                    Not into an amp- into a powered PA speaker.

Comment

Those Bose systems sound terrible to me for some reason.
                      A good friend of mine plays around 300 gigs per year and he loved his. I never heard him sound bad any time I saw him live, either.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                        A good friend of mine plays around 300 gigs per year and he loved his. I never heard him sound bad any time I saw him live, either.
                        Maybe it is just the way I like acoustic guitar to sound...I don't know. But I know a lot of other duos/singles who don't like them.

Comment

Maybe it is just the way I like acoustic guitar to sound...I don't know. But I know a lot of other duos/singles who don't like them.
                          It's a fair point to elaborate for the OP's decision making -Vocals and Solid Body guitars are easy to dial through a PA system.

Acoustics are much harder to dial -especially with the setup of the Acoustic pickups it self before you even try to treat it with the mixer DSP.

I would definitely get your Acoustic pickup and overall sound dialed before you buy a PA -so you can evaluate.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Rinkhals01 View Post
                            Thank you for replying to me.
                            Just a quick question, why was the amp not ideal for an acoustic/ singing player like me?
                            Single guitar speaker
                            Assuming you sing through the electric guitar amp
                            And play through the acoustic guitar amp
                            The electric amp isn't voiced well for vocals

Both signals through the same speaker tends to blur or get muddy

I imagine one could eq it better than I did

But once I got a powered PA speaker that was over
                            The full range speaker in the PA sounds much better

And the PA speaker is 400 watts rather than the 80 watts of the amp

PA speaker is 36 lbs
                            Laney GC80A is about 65 lbs

A Behringer XAIR and powered speakers is the way to go
                            The XAIR has all the digital effects you need
                            More than you need
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I just got an X-Air based mixer. It is remarkable, and not that expensive, and will grow with you.

Comment

This one for $99

Get the guaranteed best price on Powered PA Speakers like the Gem Sound PXB120USB 12" Powered Speaker with USB/SD Media Player at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X